TQ: Immortal Throne - Reviews @ GameSpot, GameSpy, CVG, Yahoo Games

Dhruin

SasqWatch
A few of the big sites have reviewed Titan Quest: Immortal Throne, with GameSpot turning in a 7.9/10, GameSpy a 4/5, CVG a 7/10 and Yahoo! Games at 4/5. Let's start with a clip from the first:
Immortal Throne doesn't skip a beat following your defeat of Typhon at the end of Titan Quest. As you descend from Olympus, you find that the world is still in chaos and infested by monsters. So, you continue on your quest to figure out just what in the hell is going on. Turns out, hell is exactly what's going on, as much of Immortal Throne has you hacking and slashing your way through the surprisingly diverse underworld of Hades. You might assume that spending 10 to 15 hours fighting your way through Hades would mean a nonstop barrage of dank, dark dungeons. There's definitely plenty of foreboding areas in Immortal Throne, but there's also a good variety to the environments you'll fight your way through, from the sterling white marble of Rhodes to the flowing golden fields of Elysium. The game isn't shy about appropriating bits and pieces of Greek mythology as it sees fit, pitting you against the three Stygian witches who share a single eye and the three-headed Cerberus that guards the banks of the river Styx, while also having you interact with the sorceress Medea, as well as Greek heroes like Agamemnon, Odysseus, and Achilles.
...and a bit from GameSpy:
Iron Lore did a pretty darn good job in making Dream Mastery fun to use. While most of the original Masteries are pretty focused (i.e. Defense is for tanking, Earth is for nuking), Dream Mastery goes for the "does a little bit of everything, and kicks ass" line of thought. Notable Dream skills are the psionic burn, which adds a significant damage boost to your normal attack; Trances (Titan Quest speak for the Auras from Diablo II's Paladin) that can either boost healing, inflict damage, or even convert damage into health; a slick area-effect attack called Phantom Strike, and a pretty awesome pet (the Nightmare, a floating eye that can confuse monsters and give bonuses to all of your other pets).
...and Tom Chick writing for Yahoo!:
But at least they've given us enough new stuff to warrant another playthrough, plus the ten or so hours it'll take to go through hell. Not to mention the extra time you'll spend collecting ingredients for your artifacts. And then there's the time it'll take to level up a new character with Dream mastery. Plus the new characters you'll want to make to use the great loot you found that you can't use. Diablo 3? Never heard of it. We're too busy playing Titan Quest.
More information.

I know this is a far cry from everyone's favorite rpg, but I have this ...psychological dependence..,,must... talk...about...TQ..

Yep, it's a good expansion. Lots of content and many minor in-game tweaks, like giving you a numerical counter on your hit point bar and a yellow zone for newly earned experience on your experience bar--small, but things you notice and use every time you play.

They've also successfully resisted the urge to make it too easy and loot-ridden, though the good drops are definitely numerous.

In the dev diaries, they talked about being freed up to use "less traditional" monsters--no kidding. I was killing giant spear-toting bullfrogs and hunormous stag-horned deermen out of a druid's plant-alkylid induced nigtmare til one in the morning. NOT native to ancient Greece, or probably even planet earth. Good stuff :]

...feel much better now..:)

Living in America, I'm sure they have a drug which will cure your problem!! :)

Yes, it's called chocolate. :)

Yes, it's called chocolate. :)

mmmm .... chocolate ... that and some nice red wine together sounds like a nice relaxing end to the day with the wife after the kids are in bed ...

Wine for you, chocolate for her? I don't think I've ever mixed them myself.

But it might be an idea. ;)

Wine for you, chocolate for her? I don't think I've ever mixed them myself.

But it might be an idea. ;)

I'm sure ample amounts of both are a good combination;)

I just got the expansion in and once I get around to it, I'll have to decide what kind of ranger...brigand or ranger. What did you play?

Both, but I had much better luck with the Brigand. :) My level 42 Guardian has picked up some great bows in Epic, and thanks to the caravans, I'm now able to equip her well. I'm also bringing up a Prophet(Storm/Dream) who is a pretty effective ranged char--no bows for her, tho. :)

Back
Top Bottom