Felipe's cRPG Book - Open call for reviews

Feel free to use and adapt any of the reviews I've written for the Watch (and earlier for the Dot) if you like!!

@Nameless one
Titan Quest is not taken yet, feel free to make a one page (2000 chars) review for it. If you know about mods that enhance the game please include them.

If you want to write a review for a game already taken, please contact felipepepe anyway. Maybe he needs a proofreader or someone has already too many reviews.

@Corwin
Thank you - Have you any favorite among your reviews - one that should definitely be in?

PS:
I just started replaying Albion again - this game is as cool & fun as 19 years ago.
Thank you for giving me a reason to replay it, felipepepe!

Last edited:
Most of my favorite RPGs are taken, but I can take Titan quest if it isn't taken already.I played through it multiple times both vanilla and with mods(underlord and soulvizier, but I didn't play Lilith).
Sure, take it. :)

Try to fit it in one page, but feel free to contact me about a second page if that proves hard (especially with the mods).

Also I really think that Space rangers must have place on the list.
I know nothing about this game... sell it to me, why it should be on the list? :)

Oh, BTW: What you guys think of the current title: "The Computer RPG Player's Handbook"

I'm taking suggestions and overall comments / brainstorm. :)

Felipe's Guide to Computer Roleplaying Games

Computer Roleplaying Games - Reviews from fans for fans

Gamer's Textbook for Computer Roleplaying Games

A roadmap through the cRPG Universe

The Computer Roleplaying Compendium

An Introduction to Computer Roleplaying Games

A Chronology of Computer Roleplaying Games - reviewed by fans

Last edited:
I don't like adding my name, it's cheap and the book is written by the community.

"A roadmap through the cRPG Universe" is a nice sub-title

Adding your name makes it more "personal" for me and you have most of the work :)

Fantasy titles are fun, too:

The Grimoire of Computer Roleplaying
The ABC for Computer Roleplaying Apprentices

There will be a small "Edited by Felipe Pepe" already, more is pure ego trip.

Also, my name isn't cool as Sid Meier's ;)

A Player's Handbook for Computer Roleplaying games -
A Guide through the cRPG Universe.

or

Handbook for Computer Roleplaying games -
A Guide through the cRPG Universe.

or

Handbook for Computer Roleplaying games -
A Roadmap through the cRPG Universe.

or
I like it short ;)

Handbook for Computer Roleplaying Games

or

Handbook for Computer Roleplaying Games -
A journey through the last 35 years

or

A Collection of reviews for Computer Roleplaying Games -
the good, the rare and the fun titles of the last 35 years.

I stop - I'm not good at this.

Last edited:
The Handbook of Computer Role-Playing Games:
A community's guide to CRPGs

A community's guide to CRPGs

That's good!

or simply:

A community's guide

or

A community's guide for fans and novices

or

A Community's Guide To Computer Roleplaying Games
A handbook for all fans of the Genre

HiddenX, that sneaky tophat wearing elder spy (;)), shanghaied me here.

I think I'm late to this party and all the juiciest treats have already been taken, but there are a few unclaimed games on the list that I might be interested (and able) to write something about. What would the deadline for the reviews be? Realistically, I could only start (seriously) working on the review(s) come June. If the deadline is before the end of June, I will bow out now and save Felipe (aka el Presidente?!) the headache.

As English isn't my first language, I'd need some native English speaker to go through my text, so that it reads at least somewhat coherently and fluently. (All you base are belong to us!) Also, my knowledge of proper English punctuation is dreadfully poor, so proof reading would be doubly required. Is this a problem?

If they are still up for taking (according to the list they are, but maybe someone sniped them after the last update of the list), I'd like to try my hand in writing semi-objective and, hopefully, interesting reviews of the ARPG Bastion and the CRPG Shadowrun Returns (with mentions of Dragonfall).

Felipe, just so you know, I've never written an actual review in my life, so if you're sceptical and want to discuss this, I understand and am open for further discussion, of course. If you have CRPG luminaries, like Tim Cain, writing for the book, a rank amateur like me feels more than a bit intimidated to be honest.

If you don't mind, I'll ask you to first do Bastion, as I'm trying to get a Shadowrun Returns modder to write on it and recommend campaigns.

Deadline is not a problem, I still got many reviews to organize and this will all take months. And El Presidente here is from huehueland, so english isn't my first language as well; luckily many kind gentlemen volunteered to help proofreading. :)

The specifications are on the first page of the thread, or you can just send me an email to crpgbook (at) gmail.com for doubts and whatever you want to talk.

And don't worry, Tim Cain and many developers that will be in are programmers, not poets. ;)

Looks good, I might take a look at Drakensang 2, but my time is not that much anymore as it used to be. I'll take a closer look at this during this weekend.

Zanzarah is another game I could take a look at, but it's I think around 10 years ago since I had played it fully through the last time.

Personally, I'd throw in "SIM's Medieval" as an very different approach to the RPG genre (you indeed get experience points and level up, for example, but almost only for social actions, not so much for combat, because combat in it is only 5 % or so of the whole game - or even less), but I haven't played it fully through yet, so I'm not sure how much I can say about it.

I know nothing about this game… sell it to me, why it should be on the list? :)

Because nearly all games that combine multiple different genres don't work out and become mediocre at best.Space rangers series actually manages to pull it off,
it's great game even if some of it's parts need polish.
For more detailed info about the game I accidentally stumbled upon Dhruin's old of Space rangers 2 review from RPGDot.
http://archive.today/3Mhj9

Feel free to use and adapt any of the reviews I've written for the Watch (and earlier for the Dot) if you like!!

That reminds me that I had done an Review of an Age Of Wonders game for the Dot back then ... I think it was AOW2, but it could have been AOW : SM, too.

@Nameless one
The Space rangers series seems like another series I have to buy :)

@Alrik
is your AoW review still around somewhere?

I didn't see Gothic 3 on the list. The patched up version is a good game, which still has one of the most beautifull open worlds.

M&M 3 and M&M: Worlds of Xeen are basically the same game, AFAIR. Same graphics, same mechanics.

Gothic 3 = biggest and best community patch ever.

Back
Top Bottom