RPGWatch Feature: Two Worlds Interview, Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
While it may seem unrealistic in reality, do retarded demons coming through oblivion gates seem realistic to you?

However, it does show much better animation than oblivion and most every other RPGs on the market from what I can see, atm.
Personally, crappy animation is a real turn off for me, if I am playing in a fantasy realm where magic is abundant and even semi-rare metals (mithral) allows 40% weight reduction, who is to say some magically plate of dexterity can't exist?

The only thing keeping oblivion above the pack is the character gen and editor which allow Modders to fix all the broken parts and if it wasn't for the character gen and the editor oblivion could have easily never existed, since they bought nothing else important to the table.

Besides who cares if it looks like oblivion or not, better or worst, before or after most of all why would a RPGer care about oblivion?
Unless perhaps someone is confusing a stat based action game for a RPG, now that would be funny and embarrassing. :biggrin:

Me, looking foolish? A guy who joined a rpg gaming forum, the pinnacle of geekdom? Thanks for caring my reputation though. I just can't take a crpg company seriously when they have a full metal armoured knight doing 360 degree round kick just because it looks "cool".

Hey, how do you know he didn't take Ballet lessons when he was a boy!! Good for the Dex you know!! :biggrin:

I think Ballet raises your Agility stat not Dexterity.

Could be both actualy, especially when some games don't use the agility stat!! :)

This part sounds promising:

We try to keep the adventure more mature and serious, steering away from hack’n’slash approach, where any creature and mission is good as long as it yields experience points. It is simply more rewarding for a player to be involved in serious conflicts and events and do something meaningful.

I've always believed that quests should serve primarily as a vehicle for storytelling and advancing the plot (with loot and experience coming as an added bonus). For me, the single most frustrating element in the majority of RPGs is the sheer amount of time spent on repetitive quests which are designed purely as stat boosters, but give virtually no new insights into the game world or the characters.

I don't understand some people's need to discard the old and proven methods of say making an rpg, or how it is that some people want new things in games the time.

Many books and movies also basically tell the same old stories; however they do it sometimes in a novel fashion. I think, personally, that his game could be nice
game, very enjoyable to play both for the casual and the hardcore player alike.

I particularly like the idea of having the woods and forests seen as some kind of dangerous place where all unkown sort of monsters live. (ths actually fits in rather nicely with what is known about how the general public saw the forests in the medieval settings in Europe; to these people the forests were dangerous).

While it may look similar to Oblivion, I do not think that the main quest is similar nor do I think that the overall story etc. is similar to Oblivion. I also kind of of like the feauture that in this game, you're a seasoned adventurer, which, to me, at least, makes sense, since this means that there is a reason behind you're being chosen to do this or that task, mission or quest in the game.

Me, looking foolish? A guy who joined a rpg gaming forum, the pinnacle of geekdom? Thanks for caring my reputation though. I just can't take a crpg company seriously when they have a full metal armoured knight doing 360 degree round kick just because it looks "cool".

I think the whole thing is that we don't really know enough to make a definitive stance of the game yet - there are many things that look interesting, and many things that raise concerns.

From the looks of it, I see no reason to play this game over Oblivion. I doubt the graphical system is as developed as Oblivion's. The global AI system sounds similar to Oblivion's too, though less detailed or in depth. It could just be the briefness of this interview though.

Don't equate Reality Pumps inability to properly bulls*it (marketing/pr) to the consumer (unlike Bethesda) with a weaker product. By screenshots alone Two Worlds looks much better. Granted, I'd still like to see a little longer in game footage. If you ask me, even an improvement in the handling of ground foliage over the sloppy pile of sh*t that Bethesda called grass in Oblivion would make me buy this game alone.

I just can't take a crpg company seriously when they have a full metal armoured knight doing 360 degree round kick just because it looks "cool".

perhaps, but if there's a story and real rpg elements there then i won't care about who dances with what on. Last I checked no RPG ever got the dynamics of armored combat right (probably on purpose). It'd be a pretty long/tedious/boring game if any did.

Personally i still find the concept of armored ANYthing casting spells left and right to be just as idiotic, but that doesn't stop every game from caving in and making that a possibility to every kiddie. anyway, to each their own i suppose.

Because it's a great rpg.

That's why I'm replaying now - I might debate the rpg-ishness of it, but not the greatness.

Interestingly, restarting a new game with the Knights of the Nine (which also puts the other 6 or 7 mods on as well) shows new weaknesses - basically they were designed to be added one at a time after you'd been playing for a bit.

Don't equate Reality Pumps inability to properly bulls*it (marketing/pr) to the consumer ...

This is a good point. Much of the PR (and the website) -- AFAIK -- comes from their partner Zuxxez. I wouldn't read too much into Zuxxez overenthusiastic language-impaired marketing having any real relation to the actual development team.

I know some of The Witcher guys occasionally get a bit frustrated with the whole PR/marketing thing. You'd be surprised how often an interview (or something) gets mentioned on an RPG board (say, Obsidian's boards or RPG Codex) and someone says "The Witcher? Never heard of it." At the same time you get "They're Polish. It'll suck.", "Looks like a Diablo clone. It'll suck". "Never heard of CD Projekt. It's suck". "It's been hyped for too long. It'll suck".

When you're an unknown European (or whatever) dev, I think it's surprisingly hard to get your message out there enough for a wide group of gamers to hear the message without alienating another group. I'm not saying their PR systems couldn't be improved, by the way, but it's not as easy as it looks -- and you've got millions of $$ on the line.

It's fair to be skeptical; they're untested as an RPG developer, the feature-set is way too aggressive, translations are hard and it does look a bit generic. Still, if you took exactly Oblivion and added a sensible/good/actually works character progression system, a better dialogue system, more quest depth (choices) and a more reactive meta-world, I reckon I'd really enjoy it. It may not as good as another game with a more unique artistic vision/setting, but it could still be good. The devil is in the detail - the feature set is only as good or bad as the actual in-game implementation.

WOW Dhruin, you just encapsulated 90% of the stuff in the Codex forums in half a paragraph!! :biggrin: I think you've nailed the problem these devs face which is why I strongly believe in doing all WE can to help them succeed. Otherwise, we're stuck with what the biggies tell us we want!!

Because it's a great rpg.
That's why I'm replaying now.

I suggest maestro Cormac is being scarcatic. ;)

Great action game, yeah sure but great RPG Hah I say Hah! :)
Even in the most liberal definations aren't we talking about abliitly to play different characters?
In oblivion they are all almost identical at higher levels, with almost all stats on each race being over 100.

Now a little more aggresive inturpertation would require at least some choice in responding to NPCs good/evil so forth but 90% oblifion bacisly is one basic response or end converstation, iirc.

A even more extreme view would require an actual effect on the story plus previously mentioned actual differencanted classes and actual dialoge choices.

Or am I missing something here?
It has been many months since I played, so I could have forgotten something or just be wrong but I proabably would need more than, "It's TEH Bomb!" to convence me. :p

I wasnt being scarcatic, funboy. And I'm not trying to convince you or anyone else that OB is a great rpg -- or simply a rpg for that matter --, I dont really give a damn about your opinion. But you just expressed the view that anyone who has appreciated OB is pretty much dumb (appreciated it, of course, as the rpg it's claiming to be; I really dont understand how someone can say OB is a great action game; maybe it has failed as a rpg but in any case OB is a terrible action game: when I think of action games I picture Doom, not something with countless NPCs, objects, quests, locations, etc., to interact with. But that's another story). So I just wanted to tell you that some people do enjoy OB for what it is.
Anyway wrintig is teh ard so i stpp nowe.

I don't think of Doom as an action Game, more like Rune or Blade of Darkness or Dark Messiah. Doom is a FPS. But I'm paying close attention as I play Oblivion now, since compared to Dark Messiah the combat in Oblivion (and G3 just to be equal opportunity) is 'lacking'. There were so many times in the arena where I wished I could just kick someone onto those spikes ...

Cormac
"I wasnt being scarcatic, funboy."
Well then you have my humble appoligies for any offense. :)

"But you just expressed the view that anyone who has appreciated OB is pretty much dumb"
Well then you misunderstood me and certianly I wasn't clear enough cause that wasn't my intent at all.
Nor am I trying to convince you of anything but I do differ in that I do care about your oppinion.
It's just you seem to make funny, insightful and yes scarcatic post occasionally, but that is not intended as an insult actually, since scarcasim can be used out of humor which I thought was your intent now and in the past, oh well. :)

Firstly since your being serious I would like to know what makes oblivion a RPG, if you feel like sharing?

"I think of action games I picture Doom"
Ahh ok, well I when I think of Doom I think, shooter.
I could have sworn the offical discription of oblivion was RPG/Action or some such, it's been so long now.

"So I just wanted to tell you that some people do enjoy OB for what it is."
I agree and I do enjoy it for as an action game.
I mostly was engaging a couple of posters that seemed to mesure everything including creation of the earth by oblivion and just having some fun but taking away from anyone fun would never be an intention, only an arrogant oversite on my part. ;)

txa1265
"There were so many times in the arena where I wished I could just kick someone onto those spikes"
Lol, I am the same way, I swear in any game now even G3 I keep wanted to kick stuff. :p
It was certianly a releif to hear/read Arkane wasn't responsible for the story, only for making the game, since I was disappointed in the story but loved the action. ;)

I'm not sure why so many people automatically compare Two Worlds to Oblivion. I've been keeping an eye on this game from the time I first saw it mentioned on rpgdot, well before Oblivion was released. From everything I've read it would seem to have a lot more in common with Gothic 3 (save for the more traditional fantasy setting). To quote an example from the Two Worlds web site:

"For example, a player must decide whether to help a city hold off the invasion of orcs or to secretly open the gates and let the invaders in. The latter decision will result in an onslaught and the take over of the city by the barbaric hordes. The next time the player visits this location, it will be populated and managed by orcs, unless the human army arrives and tries to liberate the city."

If the devs manage to deliver on their promises (which is a very big IF indeed), this could well turn out to be the game that Gothic 3 should have been.

Oh, and just to answer someone's question above: Two Worlds won't use level scaling.

Firstly since your being serious I would like to know what makes oblivion a RPG, if you feel like sharing?
  • Swords
  • Goblins
  • Repetition
  • Fetch quests
  • Treasure chests
  • Numbers going up
  • People arguing about whether it's an RPG
  • At least one person arguing for the affirmative

I've played adventure games which meet that criteria!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom