Drakensang help regarding starting char

Firebird76

Traveler
hi

i started playing the game as a warrior and i done it easy till the first city after the initial part.

but i think my char could be better so i started a dwarf warrior as a fighter type and i stated other a battlemage to test out magic and right now im between both im not sure wich will be best...
my dwarf is the tank with axe and shield and my battle,mage is a back up with magic and for combat i chose axes no shield.
what i ask is is there a better fighter type than dwarf mercenary and a better mage than battlemage ???

No, there won't be "better" heroes.

What you must take care of is a balanced party. You'll definitively need at least one hero with stronger healing abilities, and one with magical abilities.

But you will find NPCs good for these tasks soon.

If you want a challenge, you could try playing with "weaker" characters, although you'll find more than enough NPCs later which are able to balance weaknesses out.

And since you'll have more than enough ways to develop your heroes, I think that it is almost entirely up to you to decide what you want to play.

Please keep in mind that these Battlemages of Andergast are an great or even absolute exception within Aventuria. They are very rare there, and not always too much liked (of which you won't find much within the game because people within it usually don't react much because of people's professions) because their kind of magic goes rather into the grey area of allowed magic.

Please keep in mind that these Battlemages of Andergast are an great or even absolute exception within Aventuria. They are very rare there, and not always too much liked (of which you won't find much within the game because people within it usually don't react much because of people's professions) because their kind of magic goes rather into the grey area of allowed magic.

So Ur saying that if i go battlemage people in game wont react well with my char or it react the same if i have a good and welcomed char in the party???

I think first ill go with dwarf mercenary to be tank and i like the profession in my first time in every game and then if there's no problem in the battlemage ill go with it to have a mage from start to be different...

I mean that within *real* Aventuria, people might take a curious look on an Battlemage of Andergast.

In the *game* though, this won't happen, I think. It isn't designed/developed to let NPCs make such a reaction.

And personally, I don't like this thinking of NPCs as "tanks" and whatnot at all, although it might practically useable.

What you must take care of is a balanced party. You'll definitively need at least one hero with stronger healing abilities, and one with magical abilities.

This might be more of advanced topic and not necessarily meant for 1st time players but I'm finding the complete opposite. Mages seem underpowered with no essential spells, anyone can lockpick with training and with the game as "easy" as it is, a strong melee party doesn't need an in-battle healer ( especially with a few well timed potions ).

Considering the high level AI targets mages first, they can become a liability. A dead mage isn't healing anyone.

Part of this is the classless system that allows you to develop your characters to develop skills outside of their "class".

Like every other RPG though, you will need someone who can unlock chests & doors, via lockpick skill or human pure mage spell.

a strong melee party doesn't need an in-battle healer ( especially with a few well timed potions ).

Not even for curing wounds ? Wow, this was always my first task ! As soon as wounds appeared, I made the "healer" curing them … Or someone else with also good healing abilities.

The balance seems to favour melee heroes, by the way, a bit. I often read of people who were playing with a party of rather combat-oriented heroes, and they seemed to have lesser problems or even seem to have gone through harder fights without any casualties at all.

Me, on the other hand, taking non-combat talents and heroes as equally important, I had several very hard fights, with often releads.

This led me to the thought that the game's balancing seems to prefer melee heroes at least a bit.

Part of this is the classless system that allows you to develop your characters to develop skills outside of their "class".

Yesno. In the Pen & Paper rules, developing skills that don't belong to the own "class" are much, much harder than in the game. It's one of the several differences of the "tweaked" game rules compared to the pen & paper rules.

Some spells, for example, would need many more points to be developed, if they are from a different source.
I think I remember that a similar thing goes for several talents as well.

I do hope that Drakensang 2 will be more faithful to the pen & paper rules, and this will mean that it will be a partly different and perhaps even harder game.

Regeneration of magic is, for example, MUCH, much slower in the pen & paper rules !

Not even for curing wounds ? Wow, this was always my first task ! As soon as wounds appeared, I made the "healer" curing them … Or someone else with also good healing abilities.

I seem to be getting a lot less wounds period this playthrough, I've yet to lose someone from 5 wounds yet.

Yesno. In the Pen & Paper rules, developing skills that don't belong to the own "class" are much, much harder than in the game. It's one of the several differences of the "tweaked" game rules compared to the pen & paper rules.

Some spells, for example, would need many more points to be developed, if they are from a different source.
I think I remember that a similar thing goes for several talents as well.

I do hope that Drakensang 2 will be more faithful to the pen & paper rules, and this will mean that it will be a partly different and perhaps even harder game.

Regeneration of magic is, for example, MUCH, much slower in the pen & paper rules !

I bow to your knowledge of the Dark Eye PnP rules. I have no experience with them. The sum of my Dark Eye knowledge comes from Drakensang and faint memories of Star Trail.

The cross-skill/talent certainly would encourage less generalized characters, though I think Radon made the right choice by keeping it as newbie friendly as possible, for most of us this is our first taste of the ruleset and there's already a lot to learn.

Ouch, I would think even slower magic regen would really make mages even less powerful.

I bow to your knowledge of the Dark Eye PnP rules.

There's no need for it, really, because I'm - compared to discussions within the official forums - quite weak in terms of "rules knowledge".

I know the rules of the 3rd edition better, but not that much of the 4th edition, which was used in the game.

Back
Top Bottom