Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Patched

Dhruin

SasqWatch
Good, now if they only patched that bug that makes it impossible to sneak past the bosses and this game would be perfect.

The only in-game ads I noticed were for future Final Fantasy games, but those were mostly a parody.
That´s changed, though only for US so far.
211559-header.jpg

Thankfully, you can easily disable those ads by redirecting the server traffic to localhost.

Still, a pretty tasteless move that I don't appreciate in the least.

In a game like this i dont mind. Somehow it fits.
playing now, almost as good as deus ex 1. great game !

If a game had some ads on billboards or posters in the game world I wouldn't really care. Same with loading screens. Hell it might even be a little funny depending on how they did it. Like instead of the war torn posters of fake cars and soda in Fallout 3 have the marketing guys come up with some posters for Pepsi or Chevy for this wasteland. It might just mean that it takes some of the pressure on the devs/publishers and personally I would get a kick out of it seeing some ads of real life products made up for this alternate reality.

Ads are in the movies (in the beginning), TV, magazines and newspapers. So why not games if it is done right? Sure we have a few ads before the game starts, but those are mostly for AMD or Nvidia or whatever. Crank it up a notch and get the big guys on board to help fund some of these games. Seriously who gives a rat's ass if there are some commercials during a stupid loading screen? I would take a million commercials if it meant that a company like Troika could stay in business instead of going the way of the dodo.

This sink or swim way in making games is too old. Games cost too much now. They need to think of other ways to make more revenue other than fleecing the public with freaking DLC hats and more colors for your armor.

That's not what I consider an "in-game" ad anyways. Things like that on a loading screen don't bother me, as long as I don't have to see it during actual gameplay.

I just booted up DX:HR out of curiosity though, and I don't have that ad for some reason. Is it random?

I give a rat's ass about how fast we drown ourselves in greed.

LMAO…..Typical.

I would take a million of these stupid things if it meant more games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Love that game and I'm willing to support them by ignoring their stupid commercials.

Edit: @JDR Not sure on my end. I haven't seen any yet.

Ads in a game I've paid $50 for is not something I want to see. I'm sure they are not passing on the revenue generated via lower prices so until they are giving it to me for free and subsidizing with ads I don't want to see them either. Or perhaps patches are no longer free and will be supported through ad revenue.

There is a difference to me between parody things like the FF ads which I thought were ok and Star Wars ads presumably for the Blueray release.

I knew someone would bring up pricing.

I have a question to those who know more about inflation than I do. Exactly how much is 40 - 50 bucks worth back in the 80's or even the 90's? The price of games hasn't changed with inflation and yet the price of making games has risen tremendously or at least the price for making AAA titles have.

Edit: ehhh nevermind. I'm a little cranky after that PTC meeting I had today and probably a little too prickly about stupid ads.

My point is that if these little ads help a game like Deus Ex or others then more power to them. I think it's a better idea than DLC hats or what have you.

In a game like this i dont mind. Somehow it fits.

It most definetely do.. anyone who has read Gibson knows he loves name dropping different corporations, brands etc as often as he can, it feels like it became a part of the cyperbunk genre / culture (not that DX is genuine cyberpunk though, but it's definetely inspired by the genre).

LMAO…..Typical.

I would take a million of these stupid things if it meant more games like Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Love that game and I'm willing to support them by ignoring their stupid commercials.

Edit: @JDR Not sure on my end. I haven't seen any yet.

I have no doubt you'd take a million of these stupid things, as would so many others.

That's why we're already half-drowned in ads.

its also to cover the cost of people pirating;)^^^^^

i agree with the comments about greed somewhat but isn't it greed of the ego to think that its ok to enable one's self with the ability to "try" a game before you buy it which is neither legal nor fair to those many egos who built, published and distributed the game. none for all and all for one i would think would be the perfect slogan for that behaviour.

I have no doubt you'd take a million of these stupid things, as would so many others.

That's why we're already half-drowned in ads.

Ads vs DLC nonsense…….I'll take ads no matter how overdramatic you make it sound.

Ads to support a good game? I say why not.

I will take these ads to support Deus Ex so maybe ….just maybe….they make another game just as good if not better. I know it's a slim chance, but I'll take that slim chance.

Feel free to make another post about how "so many others" aka "the masses" will take these ads and I'll make another post about how I don't mind supporting them by ignoring their ads.

not sure why people have such problems with the ads. I don't want ads interrupting my game or overlaying my game but if cans are in the game why can't they be pepsi cans, why can't billboards have real advertisements or some of the tv's playing actual commercials. If they are integrated right I don't have a problem with it. Obviously I don't want a dodge billboard in oblivian it has to be in the right context. As far as on loading screens who cares are you really immersed in that loading screen?

As far as being greedy I don't see it that way they need to make money so if they can do that without charging me more i'm all for it. I f you found a way to make more money where you work would you do it or say no thanks don't want to be greedy keep the extra money as a matter of fact let me take a pay cut. I don't think so.

Ads vs DLC nonsense…….I'll take ads no matter how over-dramatic you make it sound.

Ads to support a good game? I say why not.

I will take these ads to support Deus Ex so maybe ….just maybe….they make another game just as good if not better. I know it's a slim chance, but I'll take that slim chance.

Feel free to make another post about how "so many others" aka "the masses" will take these ads and I'll make another post about how I don't mind supporting them by ignoring their ads.

You live in a world where there are only two possibilities: ads and DLC.

I live in a world where things happen because we let them happen.

not sure why people have such problems with the ads. I don't want ads interrupting my game or overlaying my game but if cans are in the game why can't they be pepsi cans, why can't billboards have real advertisements or some of the tv's playing actual commercials. If they are integrated right I don't have a problem with it. Obviously I don't want a dodge billboard in oblivian it has to be in the right context. As far as on loading screens who cares are you really immersed in that loading screen?

As far as being greedy I don't see it that way they need to make money so if they can do that without charging me more i'm all for it. I f you found a way to make more money where you work would you do it or say no thanks don't want to be greedy keep the extra money as a matter of fact let me take a pay cut. I don't think so.

Exactly what I was thinking.

It already has TV beat in the annoying factor since a loading screen won't interrupt my game. They might as well throw in something there to help them stay in business.

It's not always about greed when there is a real life threat of going out of business if a company doesn't do as well as they bet on certain titles.

@Dartagnan

I live in reality. I have no idea where you live.

We let it happen?

You know what, yes, yes I'll let it happen and I'll tell you why I'll "let it happen" It's because I'm sick and tired of good companies folding and I don't mind supporting good companies at all. Give me those yummy yummy ads if it means I get more Deus Ex and less DLC pointy shoes (and hats of course).

I wonder if a company like Troika or Sir-tech could have stayed in business if they could have gotten more revenue through ads.

EDIT: I'm going to bed now and I know Dartgnan is going to respond. I'll be damned if I let him have the last post this time. So here are my responses in advance to Dart's future posts

Reply:
It's a freaking loading screen.

Reply 2:
It helps them stay in business which means more Deus Ex goodness.

Reply 3:
It's already better than TV since it won't interrupt my game.

Reply 4:
I'd like to see real world product placement in certain games. It would add a bit of realism to the game and might be funny to see what they come up with.

Reply 5:
It's about time they tried something different that doesn't cost me a cent.

I think that should about cover it till I wake up :p

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom