Bethesda Softworks - Elder Scrolls Rumours

Secret? That it won't suck?

Oh no, it's time to start speculating!!!! :) At least for us fanbois - IT WILL BE THE GREATEST GAME EVAH!!!!! :)

Well, honestly I do hope if they make it it will be more like Morrowind.

Actually having new creatures come into the area as the game progresses makes sense. When you are killing off large amounts of creatures in an area other creatures will come into the area from surrounding areas because of the lack of competition for resources and also creatures will come in to eat the dead carcasses you are leaving around.

Just had a thought.

It says : "Elder Scrolls".

What about :

"Younger Scrolls"

?

No, I don't think so.

No, I rather meant in terms of in-game history.

"Elder scrolls" usually means "ye olde mighty unknown mysterious bla bla bla scrolls of some probably vanished or not elders".

Which means in fact that it describes events in the past. The term of "elder scrolls" also implies that the past the scrolls tell about has been a long, long long, long, long time ago (but not necessarily in a a galaxy far far away also).

"Younger scrolls" would mean they would describe events of a past that is not THAT much long ago (and probably *still* not in any galaxy far, far away).

Or, to use an example, "Eler Scrolls" is to me like the Historica of Pliny the Elder against the Letters of Pliny the Younger, just as an example for illustration.
But still - both are far away from me as I'm sitting here. Around 2000 years, in fact.

No, I rather meant in terms of in-game history.

"Elder scrolls" usually means "ye olde mighty unknown mysterious bla bla bla scrolls of some probably vanished or not elders".
Somehow, I have the feeling you do not know what the "Elder Scrolls" refers to.

Here's to hoping they won't scrap the toolset.

Here's to hoping they won't scrap the toolset.
That would really be bad, as you more or less have to use it to make Oblivion tolerable. On the other hand, my hopes are not too high, as I usually buy new computers in the TES rhythm, and I could use a new one soon. This can only mean they will use something my current comp can't handle :D.

Of course, I'm not too convinced of my prophetic powers, either ;).

Somehow, I have the feeling you do not know what the "Elder Scrolls" refers to.

I don't really, but on the other hand: What does a term like "elder scrolls" actually mean ?

a scrolls of the Elder ones (whoever that may be)
b "elder" scrolls meaning they are older than other scrolls

You are almost assuming as if the term "elder scrolls" was just just without thought - just because it sounded too good and too fitting for an fantasy universe.

Given that I' almost the only one going really into philosophical depth here, you might be right.
Who things of meanings of words in philosophical terms ? No-one, really, and least marketing people. They usually chose words and terms just because they sound (too) good and are able to transport a given imagery no matter whether it is fitting (to the universe) or not.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/General:Elder_Scrolls

The Elder Scrolls are Aedric Prophecy's of unknown origin and quantity, the Elder Scrolls (whence the series takes its name) are, simultaneously, archives of both historic and future events.

Any person gifted with prescient powers is able to interpret the contents of the Elder Scrolls with practice. The information revealed about the future is never absolute. Once an event foretold within the scrolls is carried out in the world it becomes fixed within them.

Such insight into the inner fabric of reality comes at a price, however, as each new foretelling and interpretation strikes the reader with blindness for a greater period of time, while simultaneously granting them a broader view of the scroll's contents. Ultimately, the reader, having engaged in frequent acts of prophecy, is left bereft of their vision, forever after removed of their right to read the scrolls. By time-honored tradition only those of The Cult of the Ancestor Moth may read from the scrolls, the younger members caring for the elder as they gradually lose their sight for eternity.

The prophecies of the Elder Scrolls and the Heroes are interdependent, one cannot exist without the other.

Thanks, but this does not explain for me why they are called "Elder". The scrolls, I mean.

just remember this will come out on the consoles, and console-style play will be the focus, so don't be surprised if this doesn't just turn into Grand Theft Auto: Cyrodiil

Nah it's going to be Fallout 3 with swords!

Thanks, but this does not explain for me why they are called "Elder". The scrolls, I mean.
Considering the silliness and naiveté of Arena's story (of what I know since I haven't played it) I wouldn't be at all surprised if they had indeed picked the name only because it sounded cool.

I wouldn't mind more lore in the new game too. Oblivion stepped back from that a little bit. I'd also root for deeper factions, similar to Morrowind. To me, Morrowind was just ugly and it made the game less enjoyable. I'm not talking about graphics, but artwork. I didn't like the whole insectoid/alien look to most of the landscape and creatures. I'd honestly accept Qarl's level of graphic detail in the same Gamebryo engine with no complaints.

Eh? The unique "alien" look is a large part of what made MW so great; it was unique and different, not the usual space futuristic fare, not the usual medieval tired worn-out setting, and not the same old tired post-nuclear apocolyptic setting either.

It was something that belonged only to itself. Even the backstory was like a weird breath of fresh air compared to the tired, generic same-old, same old "save the world fom an ancient evil" generic claptrap.

Well, obviously they are called that because they are old. Unlike your thoughts about them, they deal with past, present and future events, so something like "younger" scrolls is unnecessary. That's the only point I wanted to make.

Back
Top Bottom