The Witcher 2 - New Screens

but, but, but, I wanna carry the whole world in there. If I can cast flames from nothingness, surely I can conjure a dimensional storage device. Either that or allow my character to hire a caravan and guards.

I will add a caveat: if they have magical teleportation that is similar to the mark and recall spells, that would suffice. In Witcher 1, you had to run for miles to get to an inn. I prefer fun to tedium.

Hell no… the first game's inventory was great imo. I'm tired of how most games give you a backpack that works like the TARDIS. :roll:

TARDIS! What a good way to call those.

I prefer limited inventory myself.

No but they use magic to alter their look, to look more pretty and younger. Triss actual got a hunchback, before she become a sorceres.

Mages in Andrzej Sapkowski's universe were able not only change their look but also discovered how to rejuvenate. For example Yennefer of Vengerberg (true love of Geralt according to book) was born in 1173. She was about 40 years old when Geralt was born, and about 95 when Geralt met her during Bealtaine ( . Still she had quite good health and her sexual appetites were not affected by her senior age even a bit.
Now about hunchback. Triss was severely injured and had pretty bad burns all over the body after battle at Sodden Hill (1262) but she never had a hunchback. It was Yennefer and her quite polygamous (to put it mildly) behavior was sort of hyper compensation for her deformity. Quite dark even for 'dark' fantasy genre, if you ask me.
As you see from chronology mentioned above Geralt is also not quite young. According to book Geralt dies during a massacre in Rivia which took place on 6th of June 1268 when he was about 53 years old. Actually date of his birth never mentioned in the book but you could calculate it compiling data from his conversation with Nenneke, priestess of Melitele. Since the game events take place 5 years after his death it makes him 58 years old.

Last edited:
Have to agree with those that would like the inventory kept in a similar state as the first game - it was a breath of fresh air and I'd be disappointed to see it go in the infinite direction. Some distinction between other games is a good thing. :)

Besides, I like to think about inventory (in an abstract and strategic way) and would argue that it suits the character of a Witcher.

The first game had a bad inventory, imo.

Not so much the design, but how limited it was in terms of capacity.

I prefer list-based inventories, and for an open world game I'd much prefer unlimited or near unlimited space.

Loot tetris can be ok in the right game, but unless there are other easy ways to get rid of what you find - it's incredibly annoying having to constantly fiddle in your inventory. That's not what I play these games for.

Last edited:
I think those who played Witcher before EE will appreciate a different inventory.

EE helped, certainly - but I soon came to the same point of frustration. I'm not even the type to pick up everything, and I have an easier time than most letting things lie. But The Witcher was pretty bad in this way, and it's just one more thing they seem to have improved in the sequel.

Looking very much forward to it.

My problem with the first game inventory wise was that you couldn't put objects in containers. I could take an item from a corpse but couldn't put it back, instead I had to drag it to the drop item area and it would then clunkily appear in the game world. Same thing with reading notices on a noticeboard - you couldn't read them on the board, you had to transfer them to your inventory, read them, then just drop them on the floor!

If realistic="bad", then yeah I guess to some people The Witcher had a bad inventory.

Personally I found it large enough to carry as much as I wanted, and I enjoyed the fact that I couldn't just pick up anything and everything.

@kalniel - Totally agree about not being able to store stuff in chests. I found it odd that CD Projekt didn't implement that for whatever reason, and I hope you can do it in TW2. Iirc there was a mod that put that feature in the game.

If realistic="bad", then yeah I guess to some people The Witcher had a bad inventory.

I suppose that means you want "going to the toilet" in your games as well? ;)

Realistic isn't bad inherently, it's about implementation and subjective taste. That said, anyone who thinks it's realistic to carry around as much stuff as Geralt did in The Witcher - needs to reconsider reality a bit.

Personally, I hate having to constantly decide what to keep and what might not be important later on.

If they were going for realism they failed utterly. Most likely, they wanted to balance realism and playability - and in my opinion they didn't succeed there. Too much hassle.

Gothic does it much better, even with the obvious lack of realism in terms of inventory space.

Personally I found it large enough to carry as much as I wanted, and I enjoyed the fact that I couldn't just pick up anything and everything.

If you say so :)

If you say so :)

Gee… I couldn't have predicted that you were immediately going to follow my post with your typical attempt to make it seem that your opinion is somehow more correct. ;)

Like a broken clock.

Anyways, yes, I do say so. The inventory was great for a lot of people, just not for you. :)

The 'realism' aspect was fine for me. There was just the right amount of space personally, though at times I would have liked the option for Geralt to use both hands to carry a bundle of swords rather than restricting the number I could carry to what I could hang off a belt. Yes, Salamander battle in the Elven ruins (and other places), I'm thinking of you. It's all clear, why can't geralt pick up the swords to sell instead of having to traipse back and forth?

Gee… I couldn't have predicted that you were immediately going to follow my post with your typical attempt to make it seem that your opinion is somehow more correct. ;)

Like a broken clock.

Anyways, yes, I do say so. The inventory was great for a lot of people, just not for you. :)

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one annoyed with the inventory ;)

The inventory in The Witcher was the greatest, most perfect inventory in the entire history of crpgs. :p

Ok… seriously. It was fairly realistic by video game standards, but I can understand how a lot of gamers would have preferred the convenience of unlimited inventory. Having said that, I personally would have been disappointed if they went that route with TW2.

The inventory in The Witcher was the greatest, most perfect inventory in the entire history of crpgs. :p

Ok… seriously. It was fairly realistic by video game standards, but I can understand how a lot of gamers would have preferred the convenience of unlimited inventory.

Well…

Bottom line = it was a great CRPG.

(though not for me, personally)

Back
Top Bottom