I'm so old I remember when Brainy anointed himself king took over the village.

um… I almost don't dare to ask… but where is Grimoir up to these days? I've just googled it and couldn't find much information on Cleve's website, which still says "Pledge now for release coming in May 2013 !!" in relation to the Indiegogo campaign (the second one I think). Has there been a more recent update anywhere…?

um… I almost don't dare to ask… but where is Grimoir up to these days? I've just googled it and couldn't find much information on Cleve's website, which still says "Pledge now for release coming in May 2013 !!" in relation to the Indiegogo campaign (the second one I think). Has there been a more recent update anywhere…?

If you believe Cleve, the game is coming along well. So there's the very slight chance it will be released in 2013. It took him a few months to just get a demo working though.

edit: demo

http://www.filedropper.com/grimoiredemov131

He posts updates on the indiegogo site. The saga continues...
http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/grimoire-heralds-of-the-winged-exemplar?c=activity

The updates are pretty much the same as every update over the last 15 years though. There's nothing really new there.

Yes. The only notable news was the release of the demo.

Thanks guys. I'll keep an eye on the indiegogo site for updates.

Actually, if you're a backer, the latest news is that there's a superdemo coming... as soon as he fixes the bugs his son (?) comes across.

It looks like the "superdemo" has been ready to go as soon as he fixes a few bugs for about 6 months, which of course is the same thing that has been said about the game for 15+ years.

It might be sad, but developing a game over so many years might be the lifeline and justification for existance for some people. Unfortunately it does not get better with time.

Unless they have a strong will and control (like Jeff Vogel), they will not succeed alone.

It looks like the "superdemo" has been ready to go as soon as he fixes a few bugs for about 6 months, which of course is the same thing that has been said about the game for 15+ years.

The release of the demo certainly was a milestone for this project. The thing I'm worried about is not that it takes him forever to fix a few bugs, but that there possibly are still a huge number of bugs, which is what I read out of Cleve's frequent bug squashing updates. Nevertheless, things are moving forward, especially with Cleve's newly introduced son as a tester (which may just be some Asian kid operating out of Cleve's basement, but that's not the point).

Even with the demo it's hard to say how much of a milestone it is. It's not the first time a demo has been released, and it's unclear to me just how much progress was really made between the current one and the one from over 15 years ago. Certainly a lot of the areas are the same.

Edited by Myrthos: restored the original post and posted the reply 3 posts down.

Even with the demo it's hard to say how much of a milestone it is. It's not the first time a demo has been released, and it's unclear to me just how much progress was really made between the current one and the one from over 15 years ago. Certainly a lot of the areas are the same.

Basically, there are two possibilities:

1) Cleve is a fraud and there isn't more to his game than what makes up the demo and the possibly soon-to-come superdemo.

2) The game is mostly done, but Cleve outright lied about the game being in a releasable state by May 2013

I believe in 2, but I realize that all kickstarters are risky ventures, even with Cleve's sketchy promise that "completion isn't subject to funding", because completion could mean anything. Though I think we really have to take into account Cleve's perfectionism, or maybe OCD, which I also genuinely believe in by now. I'm sure it's not just laziness or lack of work that's to blame for the late delivery.

Last edited by a moderator:
CRAP!!!

I'm so sorry, Sacred. I must have hit edit instead of quote and over-wrote your post. Can't put it back, either. Perhaps you could re-post if you remember what you said?

Gawd, I'm sorry.

WTF. Are you with the NSA? :S

Anyways, I basically said that either Cleve is a fraud or the game really exists even though the EDT of May 2013 was a lie. I believe it's the latter, but kickstarting always means taking a risk anyway. And I think Cleve's perfectionism, or OCD, is to blame for much of the drawn out development time of Grimwhoah.

Yeah I forgot about the beta, although, if you want to be really anal, one could say that after the working beta, Cleve could have once again rewritten the entire thing, breaking it in the process. After all, he's already started all over again once.

Last edited:
Here is DTE's reply to Sacred's original post as it was intended.

dteowner said:
There's definitely a major component of perfectionism in there. When Corwin and I got to play the 2nd beta test (subsequent to the version that leaked all over the internet, the file on my PC is dated June 2005), the game was already complete. There was one game killer bug which was corrected while we were still in beta, and several dozen minor things. Corwin completed the entire game during that beta and another tester completed it twice. Life got hold of me around then so I only managed about a quarter of the content. For whatever reason, Cleve never would let the game out. He just kept tinkering with it. Yes, the tinkering generally resulted in improvement to the overall game, but each change always led to two more that needed done. Corwin and I staunchly defended the game against all comers until a year or two ago when Cleve went apeshit on Corwin for no real reason.

It really was a very good game for fans of old skool RPG. Honest.

I can't really say how the current version of the game stacks up against that beta, but I expect it's still a very good game and unfortunately I won't be playing it (if Cleve ever lets his "child" out of the house) because the way he chose to treat one of his most solid allies was simply disgusting.

O noes I'll have to wait until tomorrow when I'm back on my own machine.

Anyways... is this a reason to laugh or cry? Because now, Cleve will feel no obligation to work on the game for some time.

Back
Top Bottom