Kingmaker - Released

I am pretty sure those same idiots on Steam would complain about BG1 difficulty if it was released today. You start almost alone there and can get one shot by a wolf.

Probably. Balancing a game around RNG is poor design, and BG1 is just as guilty.

Anyway, yea, there are a lot of threads complaining the game is too difficult on the steam forum for Pathfinder: Kingmaker. I, for one, take this as a good thing. I like difficult games, in particular crpgs. And the funny thing is they offer a lot of difficulty settings and tweaks in the game already!

The product is not difficult. People usually do not succeed at difficult things without gaining experience to bring success.

This product does not require prior experience to succeed, it does not require gaining experience by playing it. All it takes is to save and reload, repeating the same schemes, waiting for adequate rolls.

A good product for streamers.

After playing through character creation and most of the tutorial, this game has the potential to be a classic, but right now the bugs are killing it for me. Nothing game breaking, just little annoyances here and there. I think I'm going to put this back on the shelf with BT4 for now and let a few patches roll through before I pick it back up.

Only problem is now I don't know what to play! I wish Krome would hurry up and finish Bard's Tale II remastered! :)

I don't write many reviews on Steam. I had to throw some love towards Kingmaker because reading some of the negative reviews because the game is too hard makes me want to puke.

I've been watching streams. If a GM balanced a campaign like this they would suck.

Sorry friend, but you're wrong. I'm a Pathfinder GM and I have been running this very adventure path (Kingmaker) for more than a year. We are currently in the 3rd book. The Owlcat game is very true to the original adventure path and to the Pathfinder rules. Is it difficult? Hell yes. Is it unbalanced? Sure it is. It is supposed to be that way. You don't gather your party to venture into the unknown and expect that all the foes that you meet to be the same level as you (or easy), do you? If you do, maybe this is not the game for you. There is a game called Pillars of Eternity that everything is perfectly balanced (and dull).

But if you want to stick with this game and find it difficult just go to settings and change the difficulty to easy.

I remember playing Wizardry 7 and having to repeat the same fight 10 times until the RNG and my strategy lined up perfectly to let me win an especially hard fight. I actually kind of enjoyed that, but I totally understand how someone else might view it as horrible. A lot can depend on how much of a hassle the reload is.

Too hard? Just play it on easier difficulty. Too many fragile ego's online worried about seen as a wimp unless they play hard-core modes. I play it on easy and just have fun. People who complain it is too hard … well just seems so foolish to me as not only can you select a range of difficulties but you can totally customize literally dozens of the difficulty settings as you want - either as a group or by individual options.

I am not a hardcore difficulty person and I know easy is EASY. So anyone complaining about the game being too hard … well its not the game as the game has options to lower the difficulty.

About the only thing I can see is some encounters may not be as well balanced so if you play on a set difficulty that could make something easier/harder then it could be. Not an issue for me as I come back later, try a few times, or adjust the difficulty for the battle if I get too frustrated.

I play it on Story mode, I think. Even easier than easy :D I do bump some of the enemy stuff to make it more challenging though. Of course, I'm playing solo as much as possible and have a summoner character. As I get the money, I will buy mercs.

The big problem with solo is party encumbrance. I can't carry a whole lot and my summons carry nothing.

I'm really looking forward to playing this, sounds like waiting for a couple of patches is a good thing though. I'm in no rush, have to finish BT4 and PoE2 first. Both of which I find excellent, you guys should stop picking on PoE2 just to annoy Silver Coin, there's room for a hell of a lot more than only two party based RTwP games in my gaming library...I want both of them to be successful. :)

I have a soft spot for DnD though, so I'm really looking forward to playing with the character creation for hours before even starting my first game...and then I'll probably quit after a couple of hours and go back to the character creator again. Repeat.

Too hard? Just play it on easier difficulty. Too many fragile ego's online worried about seen as a wimp unless they play hard-core modes.
That would be fine if the product was hard. It is not. Just a randomized mess.
Saving reloading until the dice roll the player's way. Nothing hard in that.

Players are frustrated as the product does not deliver hard modes.

well just seems so foolish to me as not only can you select a range of difficulties but you can totally customize literally dozens of the difficulty settings as you want - either as a group or by individual options.
Coming with hard modes is part of the dev jobs.

Very good product for streamers though.

People are losing their perspective, in general. Egocentrism, it seems to me, is running rampant.

I was reading some of the Steam forums for Kingmaker last night. One of them was about this difficulty question. The guy was playing on "hard" and having trouble. So, naturally, people suggested he turn down the difficulty. His response: No. He went on to explain how he always plays on hard and is not some pansy noob who plays on "normal." He simply refused to accept the idea, even when presented to him multiple times, that difficulty levels vary in effectiveness and what they actually do between different games. Each game's difficulty slider differs a bit from the next.

Nope, this guy wasn't hearing it. He should play on hard as he always has, and the developer should patch the game to meet his personal expectations that are attached to a single word, "hard," that was based solely on his preconceptions, with an outright refusal to examine reality, even when it's pointed out by others many times.

Shut your mouth, get the hell over yourself and adjust the damned difficulty. And you might want to pull your head out of your arse while you're at it.

Like TomRon said, I'll wait for a few more patches to land before I take a taste. It is sounding like a total winner though, from what I've heard and read so far, which is great!!

IMO, my mage getting savaged by wolves immediately upon leaving the first area is traditional, and all proper and correct. :p

People are losing their perspective, in general. Egocentrism, it seems to me, is running rampant.

I was reading some of the Steam forums for Kingmaker last night. One of them was about this difficulty question. The guy was playing on "hard" and having trouble. So, naturally, people suggested he turn down the difficulty. His response: No. He went on to explain how he always plays on hard and is not some pansy noob who plays on "normal." He simply refused to accept the idea, even when presented to him multiple times, that difficulty levels vary in effectiveness and what they actually do between different games. Each game's difficulty slider differs a bit from the next.

Nope, this guy wasn't hearing it. He should play on hard as he always has, and the developer should patch the game to meet his personal expectations that are attached to a single word, "hard," that was based solely on his preconceptions, with an outright refusal to examine reality, even when it's pointed out by others many times.

Shut your mouth, get the hell over yourself and adjust the damned difficulty. And you might want to pull your head out of your arse while you're at it.
Sound a lot like Silver Coin except in his case all games much play like PoE :D

Difficulty comes up on every game release. In true internet warrior age, everyone demands that "Ultra Hard Godly Mode" be the top setting and winnable. Anything less would be ego crushing and unacceptable.
Its a ridiculous joke. They should start releasing DLC "hard mode" so only the DLC will be downvoted by inept morons and the base package can still have "Ultra Hard Godly Mode" but its actually "normal mode".

*mobile doublepost*
Snip

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom