Where has the humour gone ?

Sparta was one of proto facist societies, why should we bother with their idiocies?

Only sparta born people had all rights (typical facism) and babies suspected to be sick or weak were killed with the state blessings (eugenics).

That aside, everyone seems to forget that spartans although heavily focused on military had a mandatory training in - dance. For everyone and their mother.
It wasn't ballet, ofc, but still. Manly? I believe if we saw what they considered a dance, we'd laugh our arses off today.

Why the thread went from humor to dead and outdated societies?

Why the thread went from humor to dead and outdated societies?

Well, it was a simple transition. Someone seemed to be worried that his manliness would be targetted by being told to "go play hello kitty", because that would be an "unmanly" act, and as such, a sign of weakness.

So I pointed out that unless he was born millennia ago as a male in a Spartan society, I don't see how anyone would care about what a group of fascists think to be manly or weak, and felt sad for anyone who think they have to change or limit how they feel or what they enjoy based on what those people think.

And then you lectured us about the Spartan society. It was a nice short read, by the way.

I'm still kinda confused but lemme write something.

If and when I like to joke, I'll joke. If someone thinks it's not manly, not only I don't care abut their opinion, they can get off my property. Family included.
Luckily for me I guess, or because I don't socialize with limited thoughts people, that never happened.

See, but people who promote "playing hello kitty is unmanly = weak", are not people anyone should care about. First of all, what is "manly", and why the excess or lack of it defines anyone, and their strength or weakness? I was trying to point that out, and I brought out Spartans because feels like that would be a society that would make such barbaric claims. But it is a non-existant issue in any western society of 2020, unless, again, for some reason people with such ideals (normally annonymous internet immature individuals or fascist minorities) hold any sway on you or the way you think and act, which would be sad.

In Cologne, Germany, where "the mother of all Saturn houses" is (Saturn is a very old and well-known electronics shop chain), the main shop was completely rebuilt on the inside.

All music and film was tranfered to an - in comparison to its former size - absolutely tiny part of the electronics wares shop (Radios, Computers, washing machines, coffee machines, phones, etc.) of the same chain nearby (on the other side of the street).

THat newly rebuilt store now is some kind of "Gamer's Paradise". It is *entirely* dedicated to gaming and to "gamers".

What struck me was its total ascwnse of any noticeable colour.

Of course, there are monitors showing some colourful MOBA games, the red of Bull's and Logitech and a few others green or red linies and the Saturn chain signs ...

... but apart from that, the whole store was - as its main colour - completely BLACK.

Yes, black being the whole store's main colour.

You can see how it looks like here : https://www.xperion-saturn.de/
And here : https://www.saturn.de/de/shop/xperion.html
And in fact it is darker than on these fotos, because, as I said, black is its main colour, even although there are a few spots with lighter colours there, and of course the open entrance & windows.

Most notably is the total absence of bigger parts of the shops coloured in green, yellow, red (although red is a colour liked becaue of its aggressiveness) and light and dark blue.

Especially green.

To me, this isn't something surprising me. If I look at game launchers of various firms, and at web sites of various firms selling "gaming hardware", then all I can see is this one colour : Black.

Steam : black
Ubi Soft launcher : black
GOG launcher : black
Web site of Asus : black
Web site of NVidia : black
Most PCs of today : black
AMD : black - and red

So, why is there black everywhere ?
Is that a mere fashion ?

I have come to the belief that black - blackness - is a colour oriented (by the marketing groups) towards the main gaming audience, and this are men.
So, black is a "manly" colour.

I can see the opposite when men try to insult others. What do they use : They try to insult other men by telling them that they are unmanly. Telling a men that he is "not a real man" seems to be the ultimate insult.

So, how is it effective to insult someone by telling he is "not a real man" ? By using everything that is the opposite of manliness.

So, what's typical ?
Women often wear colourful clothing. So that's "womanlinke". Good for insulting a man, to be "womanline".
Children often play with colourful toys. So that's "childish". Good for insults, to tell a man that he is childish.
Cuteness. Children often play with cute looking toys. So that's "childish", too. Good for insulting as well.

One of the results of this "reasoning" is the insult "Go play Hello Kitty !" I have read this several times, especially among PvP discussions.
It combines all three parts : Colourfulness, cuteness and childishness.

Black, on the other hand, is nothing that can be used to insult someone by telling "he is not a real man". I do NOT mean skin colours here !!!

So, in my opinion, black is the direct opposite of these 3 C's. Therefore black = manliness.

Therefore black -> aimed towards male gamers.

Plus, black is an essentially humorless colour.
As is white as well.

I'm expanding the examples from above a bit. And I'm adding a slight undertone to show what I mean.

So, what's typical ?
Women often wear colourful clothing. So that's "womanlinke". Good for insulting a man, to be "womanline".
Children often play with colourful toys. So that's "childish". Good for insults, to tell a man that he is childish.
Cuteness. Children often play with cute looking toys. So that's "childish", too. Good for insulting as well.
Colorfulness. Only "naive paintings" have light colours. So that's "naiveness". Good for insulting as well.
Colourfulness. Only primitive cultures use light colours. So that's "primitive". Good for insulting as well.

This shows an undertone which leads into racism. As the exhibition catalogue to the exhibition "Gods in colour" https://buntegoetter.liebieghaus.de/en/ shows , people still believe that antique statues always were without any colours, and that this belief was broadly spread during european Fascist times. Colourfulness was believed to be a sign of primitive cultures and of "naive paintoings", with "naive" meaning a little bit more that "mentally challenged" in this Fascist hate-speech meaning.

White, marble-white statues were considered to be superior over anything with colours. Diggers wiped colours away from found statues, because "this is only dirt". This can also be read in the book and in the exhibition.

I see a link there. White and Black are both "non-colours". I sense that there is still a belief working in the underground which I call it "white manliness".

This "white manliness" is connected with the absence of
- (light) colours
- cuteness
- humor

If you look at the Fascist colour palette, then you'll notice that there are no colours as well, and especially no light colours. Red bein the only exception because of red = blood, aggression.

So, to me, I see Fascist aesthetics and even racism ("primitive cultures") coming back by the back door into gaming.

I'm quoting the exhibition book :

"The U.S.-american Archaeologist Sarah Bond had made a connection in an interview in 2017 in the magazine Forbes between the "white supremacy" theory of the US-american ultraright and the erroneous vision of a white marble antique of the Europeans. In this she referred to our research, which she used as proof for a colourful european antique. Sarah Bond recived death threats after this political statement. other articles were following, among them a precisely researched one in The New Yorker, but also 2019 a pointed one in the satire show of Samantha Bee."

I also see a link there - between the absence of colour and humour and racism, ultimatively.

Wow and here I was just thinking I turned on dark mode UI's because they were easier on my eyes. Little did I know....

Humour can really sell a game to me, and I'm a big fan of those with it woven into their fabric.

RPGs which I absolutely love because of the humour include:

The Secret of Monkey Island 1-3
Risen 2
Divinity 2: Eco Draconis
Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning (don't love it, but do like it)

Most of them are fairly recent too.

In Cologne, Germany, where "the mother of all Saturn houses" is (Saturn is a very old and well-known electronics shop chain), the main shop was completely rebuilt on the inside.

All music and film was tranfered to an - in comparison to its former size - absolutely tiny part of the electronics wares shop (Radios, Computers, washing machines, coffee machines, phones, etc.) of the same chain nearby (on the other side of the street).

THat newly rebuilt store now is some kind of "Gamer's Paradise". It is *entirely* dedicated to gaming and to "gamers".

What struck me was its total ascwnse of any noticeable colour.

Of course, there are monitors showing some colourful MOBA games, the red of Bull's and Logitech and a few others green or red linies and the Saturn chain signs …

… but apart from that, the whole store was - as its main colour - completely BLACK.

Yes, black being the whole store's main colour.

You can see how it looks like here : https://www.xperion-saturn.de/
And here : https://www.saturn.de/de/shop/xperion.html
And in fact it is darker than on these fotos, because, as I said, black is its main colour, even although there are a few spots with lighter colours there, and of course the open entrance & windows.

Most notably is the total absence of bigger parts of the shops coloured in green, yellow, red (although red is a colour liked becaue of its aggressiveness) and light and dark blue.

Especially green.

To me, this isn't something surprising me. If I look at game launchers of various firms, and at web sites of various firms selling "gaming hardware", then all I can see is this one colour : Black.

Steam : black
Ubi Soft launcher : black
GOG launcher : black
Web site of Asus : black
Web site of NVidia : black
Most PCs of today : black
AMD : black - and red

So, why is there black everywhere ?
Is that a mere fashion ?

I have come to the belief that black - blackness - is a colour oriented (by the marketing groups) towards the main gaming audience, and this are men.
So, black is a "manly" colour.

I can see the opposite when men try to insult others. What do they use : They try to insult other men by telling them that they are unmanly. Telling a men that he is "not a real man" seems to be the ultimate insult.

So, how is it effective to insult someone by telling he is "not a real man" ? By using everything that is the opposite of manliness.

So, what's typical ?

One of the results of this "reasoning" is the insult "Go play Hello Kitty !" I have read this several times, especially among PvP discussions.
It combines all three parts : Colourfulness, cuteness and childishness.

Black, on the other hand, is nothing that can be used to insult someone by telling "he is not a real man". I do NOT mean skin colours here !!!

So, in my opinion, black is the direct opposite of these 3 C's. Therefore black = manliness.

Therefore black -> aimed towards male gamers.

Plus, black is an essentially humorless colour.
As is white as well.

I'm expanding the examples from above a bit. And I'm adding a slight undertone to show what I mean.

So, what's typical ?
Colorfulness. Only "naive paintings" have light colours. So that's "naiveness". Good for insulting as well.
Colourfulness. Only primitive cultures use light colours. So that's "primitive". Good for insulting as well.

This shows an undertone which leads into racism. As the exhibition catalogue to the exhibition "Gods in colour" https://buntegoetter.liebieghaus.de/en/ shows , people still believe that antique statues always were without any colours, and that this belief was broadly spread during european Fascist times. Colourfulness was believed to be a sign of primitive cultures and of "naive paintoings", with "naive" meaning a little bit more that "mentally challenged" in this Fascist hate-speech meaning.

White, marble-white statues were considered to be superior over anything with colours. Diggers wiped colours away from found statues, because "this is only dirt". This can also be read in the book and in the exhibition.

I see a link there. White and Black are both "non-colours". I sense that there is still a belief working in the underground which I call it "white manliness".

This "white manliness" is connected with the absence of
- (light) colours
- cuteness
- humor

If you look at the Fascist colour palette, then you'll notice that there are no colours as well, and especially no light colours. Red bein the only exception because of red = blood, aggression.

So, to me, I see Fascist aesthetics and even racism ("primitive cultures") coming back by the back door into gaming.

I'm quoting the exhibition book :

"The U.S.-american Archaeologist Sarah Bond had made a connection in an interview in 2017 in the magazine Forbes between the "white supremacy" theory of the US-american ultraright and the erroneous vision of a white marble antique of the Europeans. In this she referred to our research, which she used as proof for a colourful european antique. Sarah Bond recived death threats after this political statement. other articles were following, among them a precisely researched one in The New Yorker, but also 2019 a pointed one in the satire show of Samantha Bee."

I also see a link there - between the absence of colour and humour and racism, ultimatively.

I don’t know where the humor has gone, but I know where it’s not... Your posts.

I genuinely feel bad for you. I don’t know if it’s self inflicted or was inflicted upon you, but it’s no wonder you cant find the humor in things when this stuff is going on in your head.

I don’t know where the humor has gone, but I know where it’s not… Your posts.

I genuinely feel bad for you. I don’t know if it’s self inflicted or was inflicted upon you, but it’s no wonder you cant find the humor in things when this stuff is going on in your head.

I agree to that. Think positive, make jokes, have fun, be creative, change hobbies, make friends. If the world around you IS really so negative then try to change it.
If you just think everything is negative, maybe you are just unhappy with yourself and then you are the one who has to change. It doesn't help to rant about everything on a weekly basis - too much negative thinking can end in depression.

@Alrik - das Leben macht trotz Corona und Klimawandel Spass, und du warst wirklich schon mal fröhlicher!

That is plum crazy - black is an awesome color! It has been considered a "cool" creative artist favored color for decades now. No one will ever make me feel guilty for liking the color black, just sayin'…
:jester:
P.S. I HATE overly colorful, gaudy-like colors…I guess that makes me a very BAD person…:p

…but apart from that, the whole store was - as its main colour - completely BLACK…
As a colour is nothing more than one or more wavelengths in the visual spectrum hitting our eye, black is not a colour. True black will never be the cause of any wavelengths in the visual specturm being detected by our eyes. As it sends no wavelengths, it means that we can not see it. It is invisible, so it isn't a colour.
The only reason we can see it is because we see colours surrounding the black.

Unless it is not really black, in which case it is grey and we do see it.

So black is cool. We cannot see it, it is invisible to us, but the black object is still there. That is just awesome. We should enjoy the existence of black and celebrate that it is among us. We should marvel about not being able to see it, but that we can still experience it. That makes black unique.
All these are very good reasons to join the fanclub of black :)

Black.

I notice in general that things were more light-hearted so many years ago.

I notived when I was looking for game xmas desktop wallpapers a few days ago. There were almost none.

I was looking for "downloads" sections of web sites of games I used to play so much.
There are none.

No developer, no publisher is putting downloadable content out there anymore. No desktop wallpers, no songs. ( I do remember that Blizzard did offer a "Twelve days …" xmas song for download almost 2 decades ago … It was quite funny, imho.) Now ? Any visual and audible content is in YouTube. Nowhere else.

Web sites used to be not that much commercially streamlined a decade and more ago. Developers used to offer fun downloadable content, like the xmas desktop wallpapers i was searching. Good that i had saved some so long ago …

All that lightheartedness is gone.

Everything is brutally comercially streamlined.

As a living, breathing person who likes to play games, I feel as if companies are rather interested in my money than in anything else. Especially publishers do so.

The only redeeming point are fun DLCs for games. (My favourite example is "Windbound" here.) But these are for game owners only, unlike wallpapers which *anyone* could download !

Not to mention easter eggs. Or the so-called "gangscreens", in which developers showed themselves in a funny way. Like in early Office products or even in OSses, for example. They have died out.
I think they became victims of security concerns.

Which leads me into another thought : Security concerns have turned the computing platforms into a grim world.

We are living in an age of constant fear that criminals might take over our PCs, destroy date, blackmail us with encryption. It has become a grim world.

It is either legal business or crominal business which is forced upon us.

All lightheartedness is gone.

It isn't gone. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Darkness is only a lack of light, turn on your smile and brighten up the room! Do not let others drag you down into the mire, for they will overwhelm and drown you with their discord, Should others decry your stance or choose to mock you, cheer yourself by knowing you've had an affect. Your light shone brightly. In the end, you can only be true to yourself....be strong with that, and know that you are never truly alone.

I blame the changing in generations. The early 1990s-active writers become less active in writing jobs, and the new breed is too concerned with political correct agenda to concern about funny writing.

The last game that feel funny, humorous for me would be

Hammer & Sickle (2005) with its dry humor on commie joke.

Neverwinter Nights 2 OC. The devs did try but it's not very funny. A drunken dwarf want to be monk. A protective druid but look like a stalker (from player POV). The later dlc are not funny because the devs want to do something else so funny is not suitable.

Fallout New Vegas (2009) come close to funny state, but its themes make it inapproriate to laugh too much.

Some brain fog going on but been trying to think of any game I played that really made me laugh a lot and can't think of one. But I also tend to pick more serious games to play so that would be part of it. I mean I got some grins in many games for certain lines and the like - but those were slipped in and not the focus of the game, like in BG games. I like subtle humor along with sarcasm and I like it when it fits in appropriately to the setting so it feels natural and not out of place.

Not sure I ever played a game whose focus was really humor. I did play DDOS2 but Larians type of humor isn't mine.

The only one I can come up with is Outer Worlds. The setting and theme had an edge of humor to it all that I enjoyed. I liked the writing and got a few grins playing it.

Humour in a game can be very hit and miss. I find Larian games amusing. I did find the guards humming in Witcher 3 very funny (Pam per am, pam pam, pam per am) possibly because I have a similar accent.

I find retrospective humour comes from other gamers chatting about games. There was a discussion somewhere in the forums about spending hours doing character creation which I related to. I like the parodies of skyrim and fallout on youtube.

I've spent an evening trying to do female shepherds disco dancing, have held up a piece of paper with "Qayto liked that" I've told husband "You do the ads, I'll take the boss" when confronted with carol singing family on our doorstep. Only other gamers might find this amusing. The drunk with Lenny scene in Red Dead Redemption made me smile recently.

There is still humour in and around our games and gaming culture, things are so miserable for many people at the moment, we really need to hold on to it.

The last game I remember which deliberately set out to be humourous was a Bard's Tale game (not the recent one) which had hilarious songs but mediocre gameplay!!

I`m having a great time currently with the Dungeon Of Naheulbeuk ! Especially with Binsk and Moo !

But apart from that : Adventure games once were THE domain of humour ! - But they died out. And the only Indie adventure games I know of are dark and grim, often even graphically.
Zombies, criminal investigation, thrillers, horror.

Do people not want humour ?
Are developers expect that people not to want humour ?
Are developers just following their own tastes, which contain no humour ("heavymetallization") ?
Are the "deciders" in management deciding that games should not contain humour? Are they deciding according to their humourless tastes ?
Are there marketing people out these saying that games sell better without any humour in them ?

It isn't gone. Rage, rage against the dying of the light. Darkness is only a lack of light, turn on your smile and brighten up the room! Do not let others drag you down into the mire, for they will overwhelm and drown you with their discord, Should others decry your stance or choose to mock you, cheer yourself by knowing you've had an affect. Your light shone brightly. In the end, you can only be true to yourself….be strong with that, and know that you are never truly alone.

Thank you. This is very touching.
It's what I always do at work. And people love me for doing that. :)

Back
Top Bottom