I need a headset :)

Thrasher

Wheeee!
Yes, multiplayer has me hooked. I need a decent but not expensive headset with an ambient noise canceling mic (the TV is always on in the background, not to mention the rantings and ravings of crazy people ;) ).

There are a TON of options. I am gravitiating towards the

Plantronics GameCom 780 Surround Sound Stereo PC Gaming Headset

For a few reasons:

- lots of good reviews
- good price
- 7.1 surround sound
- digital USB connection
- supposedly ambient noise cancelling mic, but some of the reviews say its not that good
- buttons for mute, volume
- seemingly comfortable

What do you guys think? Should I buy it or something else?

I use the Logitec cordless G930. I love it being cordless so I can move around easily when necessary. At least check it out. Are you planning to join us on DDO?

I'm in the market for a headset as well - my old AKG set I've had for over ten years seems to be dying. I'm curious to hear more suggestions.

My needs are similar - I need something that sounds good (doesn't have to be audiophile level), is comfortable for long hours of use, and has a microphone. I haven't researched headsets in a long time so I'm not even sure what all the features are these days. Surround sound would be cool I guess.

As for the cordless ones - does that impact the sound quality?

Cordless is a luxury for me, but it would be nice, it seems to add another $25-50 to the price. Comfort and background noise cancellation on the mic, is probably most important. Being able to talk with folks without creating more noise being the key function/property. All else is gravy. :)

DDO will definitely become a possibility once I lose interest in ME3 MP. So much more interesting since the last time I did online FPS (back in Call of Duty I, Battlefield 1942, Halo days).

Not sure about that, I'm on the wrong end!! :) You need to join us on DDO and see or hear for yourself.

I use the Logitec cordless G930. I love it being cordless so I can move around easily when necessary.

Seconded. I also got a G930 and very happy with it. The sound is OK for a headset, the battery lasts reasonably long (about six hours) and you won't want to miss the wireless freedom once you've gotten used to it. Highly recommended! :)

I have a Corsair Vengeance 1500, very satisfied with that. Can't say much about the microphone since I don't use it. It's not wireless, but it has a very long cable.

There is a wireless Corsair Vengeance 2000, but that one isn't a true surround headset.

P w

head-fi.org forums. There are some serious audiophiles on there who know almost as much about sound fidelity as we do about RPG's. Sign up and brace yourself for a treasure trove of information.

I would make a recommendation, but don't play MMOs so selected "the best" without a mic.

In general though, wireless reduces sound fidelity and the battery downtime occurs at good times as well as bad. 7.1 in a headphone is best done digitally through quality stereo. Any gimmick that squeezes more than a couple of speakers in each headphone will sound seriously weird at basses and trebles. Most games besides BFBC2 and a couple of others do not have audio quality that use full sound surround (ie you can tell how close a bullet landed and where).

Oh, and beware Chinese build quality at "premium gamer Xtreme 200-function" prices. There are people on various forums who are on their 2nd $200+ "gaming" headset in one year.

I have some headset for years and used it only once.
Bought it because I needed a mic that one time and it felt more practical to buy a headset with a mic instead of just a mic. I've wasted money. :(

Today if I need TeamSpeak communication while playing coop for example, any smartphone can be used for that. I've become a smartphone whore, I don't care for brain cancer I'll get from overusing it but I can still protest by not buying smartphone games! :)

I've started using the built-in mic on my laptop and assigning a keyboard button to the "push to talk" function. Its a little awkward but good enough for now with my earbuds. Certainly not audiophile quality, but good enough.

Thanks everyone for your inputs! I really would like 7.1 headphones for better audio cues, although the difference between simulated 7.1 and actual 7.1 is something I would want to her before buyng. Online retailers of course don't support that. :/

Looks very nice, Corwin, and fits most of my needs. How is the mic noise cancellation?
We can still hear him, so not very good. ;)

His mic does a decent job of not sending background noise down the line, better than some of the others in the group (including me, although in my defense nothing short of total mute will keep the Wild Dogs in check). Occasionally we'll hear something from his house, but it's rare.

Yes, the tricky thing is to remember to mute it when taking a bio!! :)

Back
Top Bottom