Hellgate London - Q & A with Bill Roper @ CVG

magerette

Hedgewitch
Computer & Video Games has posted a Q & A with the most interviewed man in gaming at the moment, Flagship Studio's CEO Bill Roper, as the imminent release of Hellgate:London approaches:
Do you think there's not enough creative risk being taken in the industry?

Roper: It's a difficult balance to strike. Games are gigantic, expensive endeavours for the most part. Functionally I think a lot are pushed towards more casual games that have smaller teams... smaller budgets, and they're able to take more leaps of faith and more risks.

But when you're making something of a very large scope, that millions and millions of dollars are invested in, for the people with the money - which for the vast amount of time is the publishers - they're rolling expensive dice and they want to make the surest bet they can...
...What's the most controversial decision you've made with the game?

Roper: I think the most controversial decision is the one we didn't think would be controversial. That was having the subscription element. The way I look at it is people, for some reason, expect the worst (laughs). So that made is controversial to some people, when it really isn't and shouldn't be and I get a little confused as to why that is.

You can buy the game as a stand-alone product, you're going to get 40 to 50 hours of story-driven gameplay. And that's the first time you go through it. You can go through it again as a different character class, and it's going to play extremely differently...

Then you can go online and have that same experience with friends - and more - for free. That was something we really wanted to do and something we knew there was going to be a level of expectation for because of Diablo.

Then for players that what to then continue growing the game, they want more stuff ... every three months we want to have much bigger content dumps. Things where you're not just getting gameplay mechanic changes or events but you're getting entirely new artwork, new areas, new monsters, new skills and items, even things as big as new gameplay modes - new damage types that alter the way the game is played - even things as big as new character classes. Things you only usually see in expansion sets.

Being able to push those things out, obviously we have to be able to maintain a full team to do that.
We want to be able to do that, and for people that want that, then they can subscribe. But they don't get less of the game because they don't, they just don't get it moving forward.
More information.

That is bs since they have taken away stuff and made it for subscribers only so the subscription isn't just for new content like he says. You get extra storage, extra charecter slots, and elite and hardcore modes which will be in the game at launch but won't be available for non-subscribers.

I think the most controversial decision is the one we didn't think would be controversial. That was having the subscription element. The way I look at it is people, for some reason, expect the worst (laughs). So that made is controversial to some people, when it really isn't and shouldn't be and I get a little confused as to why that is.

Then you can go online and have that same experience with friends - and more - for free. That was something we really wanted to do and something we knew there was going to be a level of expectation for because of Diablo.

God, Bill Roper is dense.

He understands that Diablo players expect the things that were free in Diablo to be free in Hellgate yet he can't understand why everyone is so angry that things that were free in Diablo are not free in Hellgate.

I am like pounding my desk in frustration at work here. People are looking at me funny.

These gaming Gods are so sure of themselves that they fail to see what everyone is screaming at them. Bill, meet John Romero and Brad Mcquaid. Brad, John, meet Bill.

lame

yeah, theyre playing the "i dont understand why theyre mad" card...

its total BS i am now NOT going to buy this game i had originally thought i might, to play with the mrs and my brother, because i want more than 3 characters and space. and i WONT pay to have such expected features sold back to me!!!

i will be buying "the witcher" on halloween now...

listen if you want to charge for development costs, give us the whole game NOW, THEN when you make something NEW make 20 more things, package it together and sell it in one fancy optional package. what could we call it... it has to be something flashy, yet it needs to make sense, how about AN EXPANSION!!!

yeah, theyre playing the "i dont understand why theyre mad" card...

its total BS i am now NOT going to buy this game i had originally thought i might, to play with the mrs and my brother, because i want more than 3 characters and space. and i WONT pay to have such expected features sold back to me!!!

i will be buying "the witcher" on halloween now...

listen if you want to charge for development costs, give us the whole game NOW, THEN when you make something NEW make 20 more things, package it together and sell it in one fancy optional package. what could we call it... it has to be something flashy, yet it needs to make sense, how about AN EXPANSION!!!
this is me, sorry didnt know i was registered. i am PSing so i can be accountable for my statement.

Back
Top Bottom