NieR: Automata - Review @ MMORPG

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
NieR: Automata will be released today. Here's the review from MMORPG:

The RPG Files: Nier: Automata Review

Nier: Automata may be the strangest game I’ve ever played. One moment, it’s an awe inspiring action game pitting sexy androids against arm flailing robots inspired by the latest trends in round-top garbage bins. In the next, you’re in a 2D side scroller, clashing axes on the back of a moving roller coaster. In another 10, you might just be playing a dual stick shooter against a giant oil-rig with saws for hands. Through it all, the story twists and turns taking you from one off the wall encounter to another, making for a decidedly off-kilter experience made all the better for its RPG elements.

[…]

Score: 7.5/10

Pros:

• Excellent, deep combat
  • Movement is a joy
  • Deeper, longer story than first appears
  • Utterly compelling strangeness
Cons:

• Constrained open world
  • Limited character customization/building
  • Limited choices
  • Bland sidequests
More information.

I bought it and i expected to use a controller.I didn't expect the sub par graphics.
Well, at least i am not having any of the crashes like some people on Steam are. Its an ok game so far but only 2 hours in

Can you try kb/m and tell us how bad it is ? I'm not a controller sort but the game looks neat. I don't want naother dark-soul which i find unplayable with kb/m.

I bought it and i expected to use a controller.I didn't expect the sub par graphics.
Well, at least i am not having any of the crashes like some people on Steam are. Its an ok game so far but only 2 hours in

I played the first 3 hrs with the controller but what the heck. I gave the keyboard and mouse a try an I actually like it so much better that I am thinking of starting over and upping the difficulty.

Oh, and this game has some strange humor in it. Plus it has about every game mode I remember seeing in the past 30 years of gaming.

Tell us some more impressions, redman5427!

You prefer playing with keyboard/mouse or you like the game so much you want to play at a higher difficulty ?

I played the first 3 hrs with the controller but what the heck. I gave the keyboard and mouse a try an I actually like it so much better that I am thinking of starting over and upping the difficulty.

Oh, and this game has some strange humor in it. Plus it has about every game mode I remember seeing in the past 30 years of gaming.

Lol...Taro also said that NieR: Automata protagonist 2B’s design wasn’t meant to be very sexy at first, however when he received the original designs he told the 3D modelers to make her butt as perfect as they possibly could, otherwise they’d be fired. So naturally they went above and beyond making a wonderful buttocks.

Jailbait Warrior and the Huge Sword XVII.

Jailbait Warrior and the Huge Sword XVII.

Actually, she has a bigger sword in reserve;)

It has a rather interesting story which I won't go into because of spoiler reasons of course. The only similarity it has to Dark Souls that I see is you can see other players corpses here and there that have died where you are.You can even get a bonus from them like speed to hit or resurrect a cadaver to follow you around.

You receive missions to do throughout a very large map which I wish I didn't have to hit escape to see but there is a mini-map which takes care of some of that. The combat ramps up pretty hard between easy and normal and the higher difficulty's are like insta-hit deaths which is no fun for me. As you go around your perspectives can go from third person to side scrolling to a mini hacking game at times. lots of jumping by the way but none of it is utter ridiculous so far.

There is a lot of dialogue choice and not all of it is spoken. Along your adventures your sidekick android will reveal things about the world you are traveling or little tidbits, however your character is a bit of a cold fish to start with. Which leads me to say that fishing is in the game as a min pastime also.However,this is not a beat em up ARPG. You have lots of choices not to attack and take others solutions instead of brute force.

The sound is interesting,lots of music while you are traveling and it is some type of Asian origin,probably Japanese. Some people are having issues with white screens but I have only had 1 crash in about 5 hours

I-5 6600k
Geforce 1060
16 gim ddr4 ram
ssd drive
@55-60 FPS with everything on but vsinc
16 gig ram

I both like the game and the keyboard and mouse controls that I would play at a higher difficulty.

Actually, she has a bigger sword in reserve;)

It has a rather interesting story which I won't go into because of spoiler reasons of course. The only similarity it has to Dark Souls that I see is you can see other players corpses here and there that have died where you are.You can even get a bonus from them like speed to hit or resurrect a cadaver to follow you around.

You receive missions to do throughout a very large map which I wish I didn't have to hit escape to see but there is a mini-map which takes care of some of that. The combat ramps up pretty hard between easy and normal and the higher difficulty's are like insta-hit deaths which is no fun for me. As you go around your perspectives can go from third person to side scrolling to a mini hacking game at times. lots of jumping by the way but none of it is utter ridiculous so far.

There is a lot of dialogue choice and not all of it is spoken. Along your adventures your sidekick android will reveal things about the world you are traveling or little tidbits, however your character is a bit of a cold fish to start with. Which leads me to say that fishing is in the game as a min pastime also.However,this is not a beat em up ARPG. You have lots of choices not to attack and take others solutions instead of brute force.

The sound is interesting,lots of music while you are traveling and it is some type of Asian origin,probably Japanese. Some people are having issues with white screens but I have only had 1 crash in about 5 hours

I-5 6600k
Geforce 1060
16 gim ddr4 ram
ssd drive
@55-60 FPS with everything on but vsinc
16 gig ram

I both like the game and the keyboard and mouse controls that I would play at a higher difficulty.

Are you playing at 1080p? I heard there are issues with high resolution on PC.

Are you playing at 1080p? I heard there are issues with high resolution on PC

People are reporting better results with borderless window but i can't see any difference.Yes, @1080p

Back
Top Bottom