The Witcher - First Release Candidate

It wasn't just media with Bioshock. It took over virtually ever gaming-related forum on the internet for a couple of weeks. Qt3 was totally Bioshocked, and even RPG Watch nearly turned into Bioshock Watch, despite Bioshock not being an RPG at all.

I don't think I've ever seen a game get the kind of 'mind share' that Bioshock did. The Witcher won't come close in that regard. The dude at my local EB didn't have a clue what I was talking about when I asked about it. I get the feeling that it could turn into 'the surprise hit of 2007'. I was looking at some videos on YouTube, and it really looks impressive. The 7 minute intro was really good. The choices and consequences demo was nice too, it looks like we'll be getting a lot of multi-layered choices with serious consequences. They seem to go way beyon just simple good choice and evil choice as well. Also, there seems to be good reasons to want to make some not-so-good choices beyond being a jerk soley to get 'evil points'.

You take a prisoner, a spy who is scoping out your castle. He's defenceless when you capture him, but then you have to decide what to do with him. Do you let him go, even though he knows too much? Do you just kill him in cold blood? Torture him? Try a truth potion on him even though it might kill him?

I think this will be something of a minor hit.

The dude at my local EB didn't have a clue what I was talking about when I asked about it.
But I'm sure he was happy to offer to pre-order it for you and sell you the strategy guide, though ...

I really hope it turns out good. I try to keep expectations low, but still, this is one of the games I have the highest hopes for right now. And if it is good, I hope it does well, too. Not like Gothic 1 and 2 in the US.

I'm predicting it will be the next Gothic.

There, I said it!!! Whoa, can't believe the words escaped my mouth. Well... too late now.

Badesumofu
"The 7 minute intro was really good."

The actual into of the game has been released?
Humm, linkage?

That looks great, I tried to find it on Gametrailers with no luck.
There is spose to be away to download the YouTube videos so you can watch them on your own player.
It's so small it was hard to understand what's happening, so I am gonna try to convert that tmp file of the movie YouTube makes in Doc and Sett \Admin.

Thanks. :)

Got the file with this.
http://www.techcrunch.com/get-youtube-movie/
Then have the nice package from free-codex which has the Media Player Classic.
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Mega_Codec_Pack.htm

To play the .flv files, as well as most all audio and video formats. :)
---------------------

Ok so this opening trailer is the backstory from the books bringing us up to date before the game begins?

A little confusing since I am not familar with the Witcher world, if it's the opening trailer I guess there are no game spoilers, so I would like to ask a few questions. :)

Ok so this opening trailer is the backstory from the books bringing us up to date before the game begins?

A little confusing since I am not familar with the Witcher world, if it's the opening trailer I guess there are no game spoilers, so I would like to ask a few questions. :)

I doubt that there could be any spoilers in this intro. Indeed it illustrates the first story written by Sapkowski about Geralt(titular Witcher). Whats worth mentioning is the fact that this story take place several years before the main plot in books, not to mention the game. So I guess the purpouse of it is only to show one of the many "problems" witchers have to overcome in hope of payment :). But to truly understand(for those who want or even need to) this intro I think it would be wise to read the story, cause 7 minut film cannot hope to describe everything as it should be.

I think I heard a line amounting to "That's how Geralt became famous" in the intro. So the opening vid doesn't spoil the plot of the game.

I think I heard a line amounting to "That's how Geralt became famous" in the intro. So the opening vid doesn't spoil the plot of the game.

I cannot agree :).

Geralt became famous especially from relationship with Ciri, which Jaskier spread out by his poems.

I am confused, even more now but your answers are welcomed. :)
Are the books available in English?

I read or watched a video (iirc) of the devs giving an explanation of when the game would take place, after the books.

They said after the big ending in the books, once he was reunited with guild (can't remember if they said Witchers are a guild), he was asked to or chose to investigate a group/person trying to kill, Witchers.

So your sure it's before the books?
I may need to try to rewatch/reread everything.

Unfortunately they are also protected from selling as many copies ... ;)

In what market? Europe-wide, games sales figures are not that different from USA sales (that surprised me), and they have a higher proportion of PC sales vs console than the US. :)

The Witcher looks good, but you already know I'm a fan. I think RC1 will most likely pass - the only things I can think that'll get tweaked now are translations/dialogues etc.

I cannot agree :).

Geralt became famous especially from relationship with Ciri, which Jaskier spread out by his poems.
Of course, but the point is people can watch the vid without the fear of being fed any spoilers.

I am confused, even more now but your answers are welcomed. :)
Are the books available in English?

I read or watched a video (iirc) of the devs giving an explanation of when the game would take place, after the books.

They said after the big ending in the books, once he was reunited with guild (can't remember if they said Witchers are a guild), he was asked to or chose to investigate a group/person trying to kill, Witchers.

So your sure it's before the books?
I may need to try to rewatch/reread everything.

If I am not mistaken, you wonder if plot from the game comes after or before events from the books? If I am not, then the answer is: after.

But the vid is showing event few years before game plot. As Elwro wrote, it purpouse is only to show one of the events from Geralts life. But aforementioned event will not influence plot from the game it is only for showing witchers background, their "daily" life.

Hope I didnt mixed everything up for you:), I am not the best at explaining people things, especially not in my native language.

Ace, as far as english translations of Sapkowski, this is a short story that's been translated by a fan, The Lesser Evil and amazon.com UK has The Last Wish available in English from Orion Press, which is a collection of Geralt short stories? or at least something about Geralt--;)--but I haven't found anything in the U.S.

I must have been half asleep when I read this thread last, looking forward to reading this, thanks magerette! :)

Ace, as far as english translations of Sapkowski, this is a short story that's been translated by a fan, The Lesser Evil and amazon.com UK has The Last Wish available in English from Orion Press, which is a collection of Geralt short stories? or at least something about Geralt--;)--but I haven't found anything in the U.S.

A minor note: The Lesser Evil is one of the stories included in the Last Wish
Collection.

The first story of this collection is called The Witcher (the introductory story to
the series) and its "main event" you have seen in the impressive 7 minute intro video floating around the Web...

Thanks for the clarification, JonNik. I hope someday to be able to read all The Witcher material. Sapkowski needs a U.S. publisher. :)

Back
Top Bottom