The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

Wouldii is just barely into lvl11. About 2000xp into it, so we're talking a sliver.

Az and I "need" VoN4. Since I'm unlikely to ever run that raid with my Friday toon, I don't really care if I pick VoN4 up or not. As he mentioned, that's level 9 anyway, so we can delay a decision on that. As far as lvl8 quests go, we've got a few left. Xorian Cipher is lvl8. Stormcleave Outpost, with its wealth of XP, is also lvl8. The first several quests in Threnal are lvl8. Those are quests we haven't done in a while (actually I've never run Cipher). It's looking like we'll have to punt on Threnal. I can't say that's the end of the world, but it is a shame that we've invested in the pack without running it.

I knew it was going to be tricky to keep everyone on pace, but splitting the group into 2 parties that run different quests at remarkably different rates, not to mention people free-lancing far more than necessary to keep pace, has made it pretty much impossible. As such, I don't know that there's much value in trying to hold to a plan anymore. It's becoming a hassle to the group rather than a helper.

Sentinels is level 7, we ran it already, on some of the characters, as a catch up.

We can run level 8 elites without xp penalty, just no bravery bonus. Sucks, but I think JM will need the extra xp to keep up now anyway. Peter is pugging anyways, and will probably end up running by himself before too long doing so, since he's a level ahead of even the first lifers. Everyone else except Corwin seems to be doing fine keeping together, and Corwin only because he's not playing much outside of Fridays. I'm getting ahead, but we knew that would happen, with first lifers doing elite streaks with a bunch of TRs. That's why I have two, and a few more that can sub in as needed.

We've also never ran Restless Isles too. We can still hit Threnal, though few of us want to.

We ran Cipher once, on our first lifers. Though that was so early that it may have been before you hopped in, IIRC you joined us a little after I did. Or you may have been out, or it may have been an off-session. Who knows? I know I've ran it once, and want to again, because of the GH clicky on the Planar Gird. If I get around to it, I plan on pugging a few runs on Rachail to try and farm a couple out for her TR. I've also ran the pre-quest and part of it on Rachail at level, when she was on her TR, but it's a split quest requiring 4 people.

I forgot your Wiz Alrik, though that's still no guarantee. Me and Reywind have to split, as we're trappers, and we both need GH. In reality, we need more players to actually fill all the roles, or more versatile multi-class, multi-role builds instead to compensate for the fewer players.

I probably could have built an 18/2 Wiz/Rog PM for example. Full trap skill, Insightful Reflexes to give a useful evasion, and still-useful arcane spell casting and self-healing via PM as well. I saw an 18/2 Barbarian/Rogue discussed once that could handle traps, though I've never looked into seeing how viable that is. Or annoying. I was planning an 18/2 Fighter splash, for feats.

Next TR group will remain much the same unless we add at least 2 people to the group. We have a new Sorc coming up, if we can get him/her on Skype (hint hint) and caught up. We can alternate buying guest passes until they get the packs. I think we'll be a bit better off on XP differences because we're likely to all be hitting TRs. I'll be running either an AA or Barbarian, depending on the enhancement pass, whether a new class is added I'm more interested in, and whether I want to push through another Ranger life or not.

We can run level 8 elites without xp penalty, just no bravery bonus. Sucks, but I think JM will need the extra xp to keep up now anyway. Peter is pugging anyways, and will probably end up running by himself before too long doing so, since he's a level ahead of even the first lifers. Everyone else except Corwin seems to be doing fine keeping together, and Corwin only because he's not playing much outside of Fridays. I'm getting ahead, but we knew that would happen, with first lifers doing elite streaks with a bunch of TRs. That's why I have two, and a few more that can sub in as needed.
Thing is, many of us are running things twice or more to keep the entire roster on the same quests. That's simply not going to work. It might not be as big a deal when we get to the upper teens, but that's more than a few levels from now. I have no desire nor right to dictate who plays what when, but I can tell you that the numbers simply aren't going to work.
We've also never ran Restless Isles too. We can still hit Threnal, though few of us want to.
Very true. One slog was enough. Guess what's on tap for our next TR crew? ;)

We have a new Sorc coming up, if we can get him/her on Skype (hint hint) and caught up.

Yes, I believe so, too. As far as I understood it he's now around level 10 as well, only "holding levels" so far just to get no xp penalty. And his biggest problem is that he is F2P only, as far as I've understood him.

He is more than capable of running everything I believe, especially considering that he soloed (with a hireling) almost all F2P quests on elite difficulty until his level. He said that he had a few quests left.
What he imho needs is getting his dexterity up a bit, with items, I think. He died several times in the spikes traps in the "Caged Trolls" quest in House P. - and this was a good occation for me traing my cleric's resurrection spell. ;)

I'm not really sure where he stands, regarding in-game playing experience. He must be quite skilled now because he did all of these quests on elite difficulty, but I think he lacks a bit proper items in his own level range. But again, I'm, not sure.

What I also think is that he might profit from some help regarding enhancements. But again, I actually can't say, because I don't know enough about his character and his playing style. Plus, I really don't know how Sorcerers play. I only know wizards.

I believe that he could be a very good and proper guild member once he's accustomed to everything.

Being F2P only doesn't matter. We'll get guest passes as needed.

Sorcerers and Wizards don't really play all that differently until the mid-Heroic levels. There, the Wizards start to push more into DC casting, with a broader spell choice and more capability to get high DCs on two schools. Sorcerers have to focus in on one school if they want to get good at it, and then still lack the feats to push their spell pen up. You can build a DC-focused Sorc; mine can reliably CC in Epic Hard. but it's harder than a standard nuclear cannon sorc.

I have a level 15 Wiz/Rogue, but no-one ever wants to play with him!! :( I just don't have the time to play much right now. That may change in a few weeks, but my 'life' tends to go in cycles and right now it's full and busy. Anyone who tells you being retired means LOTS of extra free time is LYING!! :)

I don't think anyone was planning this sort of thing anyway, but I've definitely come to the conclusion that a warforged barbarian is a really, really bad idea. The basis of the class is being a hit point sink. With a warforged, it's simply too costly to get those hit points put back on. Granted, hireling healers suck rocks, but I'm convinced it's a fundamental build flaw. Even simple quests become a challenge, as the pocket healer either can't/won't cast heals quick enough in a mob situation or burn themselves out of mana long before a shrine is near.

From the forums : Interesting, if true :

A while back I found Spawn Screen to have some use: preventing ability damage from Wraiths. I don't know why this benefit isn't listed in the spell description. But it is a useful spell in Necro II where almost all of the mobs are wraiths/shadows.

Source : "The most useless spell" : http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=4720351&postcount=15

Edit : Perhaps interesting regarding Handwraps : http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=4714209&postcount=8

Last edited:
WFB's are fine, IF they are able to cast Repair on themselves!! :) Otherwise, with the way they have been recently nerfed, I think you'll see them slowly disappear. I don't plan on building anymore!!

I don't think anyone was planning this sort of thing anyway, but I've definitely come to the conclusion that a warforged barbarian is a really, really bad idea.

A warforged THF paladin seems to work very well. At least if you splash 2 levels of fighter to get more feats. My level 24 WF paladin rocks at the moment.

The self-healing of a paladin can save you from time to time and the healing power of lay on hands is the same for WF as other classes. You need to build healer's friend up to tier 3 to get decent cleric heals. So at the lower levels you might have to depend a bit on healing potions in addition to being healed.

Paladins have pretty decent AC and if you get the feat for adamantine armor you can get above 90 AC late in the game using THF. If you pick feats like combat expertise you can get it above 100 AC. With a tower shield you can get the AC quite a bit higher.

So why not consider trying a WF paladin. It's fun to play now after they fixed the healer's friend and lowered the enhancement point cost.

Peter, we all know that Paladins are the worst class in the game!! :)

Not true at all. My paladin seems to perform better than most others in PUG's I've been in.

The biggest problem with a paladin is the stats you need. You need a pretty decent charisma, as high as possible strength, high constitution, enough wisdom to cast level 4 spells, some intelligence to get skills points and enough dexterity to get the feats you need.

This is not possible if you make a 28pt build. You may do it with a 32pt build, but you will love to have +2 tomes or better to get the power you need.

My WF paladin is a 34pt build with +3 tome for all stats. By doing that I managed to get strength and constitution to 42 at level 24 and good enough stats for others.

Another issue is that paladins are starved for feats compared to e. g. fighters. Still, if you plan your build you get the feats you really need to make the class work.

Paladin efficiency is dependent on how you build the toon. So choice of feats and enhancements is very important. If you don't know how to build one then you can end up with a character that performs very poorly compared to a fighter.

I follow a very good paladin build (THF for my WF and TWF for my human). Boosted with tomes and great gear my paladins perform very well.

You have to think about the main role of a paladin. It's not to be the main dps of the group. Nobody can compete with casters regarding dps. Well built fighters will have better dps than paladins, even though paladins can get close using their smites. No, the main job for a paladin is to be a support melee who can stand the ground due to good AC and great saving throws. Put a paladin alongside a fighter and you have a winning combination. Paladins often attract aggro and that means the other toons in the party can more easily kill the monsters.

Great saves, some buffs and self-healing means that paladins can perform well in most situations in a group and earn their right to be there. Paladins are also great at soloing quests (at least the lower level ones).

When I see paladins performing poorly I blame the person making the toon and not the class. My paladins are proof that paladins can perform very well. If you're new to DDO or don't have a paladin build to follow then I wouldn't recommend you choose a paladin. Dteowner, however, is experienced and can TR into a paladin. He will have the build points needed. So I'm convinced he will do great in that class. He loves to play melee classes (fighter, barbarian, ranger etc.) so a paladin should fit his playing style. He might not like being lawful good, but that's another story. I guess you don't like paladins because you're alignment is chaotic neutral and that's very incompatible with paladins. :)

When I see paladins performing poorly I blame the person making the toon and not the class. My paladins are proof that paladins can perform very well. If you're new to DDO or don't have a paladin build to follow then I wouldn't recommend you choose a paladin.

Or don't have 34 points ? I don't know.

- Have ALL Paladins to be lawful ?
- Warforged nerfed ? In how far ?

Edit : Are you from Michigan ? If so, read this page ;) : http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=394746&page=2

Last edited:
All paladins have to be lawful good.

Warforged were nerfed a bit like not being immune anymore to poison. Now they only have a bonus to saving throws. That nerf is moderate and I don't bother with it at all.

Worse was the bug introduced to WF about healer's friend. It didn't work properly so WF were healed much less by cleric healing. Turbine fixed this and halved the cost of healer's friend so I feel healing is better now than before the nerf.

Alrik, NO-ONE would ever admit to actually being from Michigan!! :)

Last edited:
Best way to get a feel for a class and build is to roll one up on another server and just play up to whatever level lets you see if it appeals to you. I have started just about everything in the game, but know now what I like. Have not done a barb but have done everything else and every race now.

Halfing barbarian FTW! It's a moral imperative, cm.

Squeak of Fury!

Yep, that is the best way. I've ran every class but Barbarian into the double digits. I've been healer, trap monkey, tank, dps, crowd control, nuker, and outright insta-killer. About the only thing I haven't been is an archer.

What's bad, is I have most of those currently in various states of activity; I have 12 characters, with 1 mule and 1 mostly inactive.

In the end, the poison/disease immunity nerf only really affects those who ignore their saving throws and refuses to carry potions.

Back
Top Bottom