Warwizard-gameplay discussion thread

crpgnut

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor
Alrighty, now that it's working for folks, here are a few different party ideas for you folks. This is mildly spoiler-ish but it's common sense once you've played around a while.

The in-game help talks about hiring and abandoning foks to outfit your party. Let me go into a little detail there:

Just go into town, find the inn and hire three warriors. Hire the ones that sit with the cleric and the mage. There is generally 8 people at the table: 6 warriors, a cleric, and a wizard. What we want to do, is take all the equipment from the first warrior and give it to your naked WarWizard. Have the other two warriors strip off their chainmail and have them give their arrows to your guy.

Now take those two to the weapons dealer and sell their bows and then take them to the armor guy and sell their chain mail. Pool the gold to your WW. Now, go to the inn and camp. Abandon all three warriors, you can store their food in the handy chest that's in the room 1st, then go back to the inn and rinse and repeat. You can do this a few times until the merchants stop buying equipment.

From here, you need to decide how you want to play:

Solo- wander the roads outside of town building up your Warwizard's proficiency with bow and sword. If you go this route, hire three clerics at the inn and have them just heal the Warwizard whenever he gets hurt. There are no levels in the game, so the only way to get experience is to do damage. You only get XP for the actual damage that your character inflicts. You get magic experience by casting spells. You get armor experience by taking damage, so go ahead and melee with the weaker creatures and get hit a bunch :)

Gamer-create the party you want to play through with in Caer Tiran and start looking for your first dungeon. This will allow everyone to start getting xp at the beginning. This is only for folks who aren't going to change out party members as a personal preference

Mercenary-hire the best characters that can be bought for money. This way will get you stronger characters, but at the cost of your hard-earned gold. This is the route I'm taking in my current game.
If you go this route, don't hire warriors from the inn, instead hire the mercenaries that are protecting the various merchants in town. They cost about 500 gold but have WAY better stats and equipment. In fact you could hire a couple of these guys and strip one of them for some early magic stuff

Am I the only who sees WarWizard Shield (at corpse of Mountain Giant King) as black tile? This way it is sooo easy to miss it, and probably no way to get it back?

What on earth is this game?

I vaguely recall a shareware game from the 90's with that name. Tile, turn based game?

I had come upon this by chance >10 years ago on a "101 only the best games #3" selection, and recently spent maybe two days searching for this (I couldn't remember the name or any details). It was worth. The game is definitively very original and very different. Even though not all things are adjusted perfectly (eg. money harvesting becomes far too easy midgame), "leveling" system reaches its limits far too soon, etc., I wish more RPG authors were this bold about being different.

Back
Top Bottom