The ever-popular "Currently Listening" thread

I've lately been listening to Dream Theater. They're pretty cool, with some songs really nice sounding, but they're one flaw is the mediocre vocals they sometimes have. Instrumentally they're amazing. But they could do with better vocalists imo.

Currently listening to Dream Theater - Scene Six: Home

I like DT very much, I have seen them several times. And Scenes From A Memory is my favourite (closely followed by "6 degrees of inner turbulence" and "Train of thought"). I agree that James LaBrie is the weakest link in the band, but I think the tone of his voice fits very well with their music - when he gets it right. So does the band, apparently, since they've kept him - but I think I've read somwhere that Portnoy wanted to sack him some years ago. (JLB's comments after Portnoy left the band suggests - at least to me - that there has been some friction between the two)

Currently watching Steven Wilson: "Get all you deserve", blu-ray from his Grace for Drowning tour. Here's Remainder the black dog. (For the DT connection: Steven Wilson is one of the voices speaking on Repentance@Systematic Chaos)

@Jaz: I have two albums by Lacrimosa, and while I find the vocals weak, they too fit with the music. At least on "Fassade" which has a "Kurt Weil" feel to it. Methinks.

pibbur who for a long time saw(heard) Russell Allen@Symphony X as his favourite candidate if DT were to replace mr LaBrie, but now prefers Damian Wilson of Headspace and Threshold fame.

Last edited:
@Jaz: I have two albums by Lacrimosa
Same here. I like them, mind you, which is why I went to last week's gig in the first place (three hours!), but I'd rather have her not sing alone. - Sheesh, hadn't thought anyone here knew them :).

Youd be surprised Jaz, as I've often been here, who listens to what. It wasnt too long ago that I surprised you w/ my knowledge of Laibach. I may have to check out this Lacrimosa…

Now thanks of Gorath, I'm deep into Draconian again, spent today listening to Where Lovers Mourn and Arcane Rain Fell.

I really love the song "It Grieves My Heart" from Where Lovers Mourn, particularly once I translated the end spoken parts to be sections of HP Lovecraft's "The Outsider". It blew me away, and gave that song so much more levity, and just flat out creepiness. Love it!

"Now I ride with the mocking and friendly ghouls on the night-wind,
and play by day in the catacombs.
I know that light is not for me, save that of the moon.
For I know always that I am an outsider,
stranger in this century, and for all time.
Stranger among those who are still… men.
"

Youd be surprised Jaz, as I've often been here, who listens to what. It wasnt too long ago that I surprised you w/ my knowledge of Laibach. I may have to check out this Lacrimosa…

I have an album or two by Laibach as well (but not the B Mashina cover). And the Residents

pibbur who actually has a lot of weird music

Well, Laibach are famous/notorious, so that's one thing, but Lacrimosa? Okay, they have been in the business for 20 years or so, but still ...

B Mashina is part of Laibach's W.A.T. album.

Well, Laibach are famous/notorious, so that's one thing, but Lacrimosa? Okay, they have been in the business for 20 years or so, but still …

B Mashina is part of Laibach's W.A.T. album.

Regarding the "weirdness", I was thinking of Laibach and Residents and similar stuff.

pibbur who has a lot of weird music by weird bands but does not count Lacrimosa among them.

Lacrimosa ? Isn't that an enzyme ?

Lacrimosa ? Isn't that an enzyme ?

Nope. Enzymes (with some exceptions) conventionally get their names by appending "ase" to either the process their catalyzing or the substance they affect or both.

Examples:
  1. Lactase - breaks down lactose, the sugar found in milk. Insufficient production of lactase leads to lactose intolerance (which is not an allergy)
  2. Hexokinase adds phosphorus (and by that energy) to glucose, and is the enzyme that initiates breakdown of glucose in our cells.

And the exceptions: Pepsin, trypsin and chymotrypsin which collaborate on breaking down protein chains in our intestines.

pibbur who employs the enzyme derailase to derail threads.

The appropriate term for that little maneuver, Mr. Pibbur, is "cross-topic bane". You bailed out before the move was truly completed, but it was close enough to qualify for the highly-sought label. Stick tap to you, good sir.

To topic, I still can't find a stream of "Sparkle", so we'll go with this one, which is almost as good:
"Catherine" by The Rosemarys

And how about a blast from the past featuring underappreciated bassist, Mark King:
"Lessons in Love" by Level42

Mark King was hardly underappreciated :O.

As for weird: Look up stuff by Flutwacht, N.Strahl.N et.al. I love my occasional ambient noise, but hubby doesn't.

Eeek! I just discovered SABATON ... now THAT's what I call power metal :D. *sings along to 'Primo Victoria'*

Thanks for the heads- up, myrkriel.

As for me, Im bouncing back and forth between Theater of Tragedy's debut album and "velvet darkness they fear". Good stuff if you're into beauty and beast Gothic metal

Was looking for some music to listen to while playing TSW. Decided that Tangerine Dream would fit nicely.

Here's a (shortened) version of Phaedra (video is not by TD).

pibbur who as never been at the Okefenokee.

Since it's "Currently Listening", I'll post this repeat:
"What You Want" by Evanescence

And then another blast from the past:
"In Everything You Do" by The Mighty Lemon Drops (a surprisingly good and faithful live version)

I think he's in the Muppet Treasure movie, too.
I never liked the Rocky Horror Picture Show, I found it tasteless even as a teenager. But then I found Monty Python tasteless as well - at that age. But meanwhile I found myself liking most of Monty Python (my personal classic is "Confuse The Cat !"), no-one will make me watch the Rocky Horror Picture Show, as I still find it tasteless.
Some old habits never die. ;)

Spent this morning listening to Led Zeppelin 1-4, then Houses of the Holy. The Immigrant Song is my personal anthem =))). Oh, and I'm sure a few tenants in my condo building wanna kill me right now, 110 decibels at 6 am ftw!!! =p

-Carn

Back
Top Bottom