Divinity: Original Sin - News Roundup

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Geekparty has a new article for Divinity: Original Sin about the games difficulty.

Most of the time, this difficulty is welcome. It prolongs the life of the game and, seeing as Original Sin brings little in the way of randomness to the table (its world, and every encounter therein, has been painstakingly crafted by the developers), this means of extending your stay in the gorgeous and compelling world of Rivellon is certainly welcome.Except, sometimes, it can just be mean.

I’m going to spoil a fairly early (optional) encounter in the game, so be warned: If you have not yet explored the nooks and crannies outside the gates of Cyseal, this may make you unduly aware of what lies ahead. Given the context, though, that might be welcome.
Next Noobfeed talks about how the game was sold for the wrong price on GOG.

Allow me to make this news post personal, because it’s not often we have a direct impact on anything. You may know me as a stickler for pricing points and wanting to have the best and fairest deal for you the consumer, as well as developers and other companies. It’s as such that when Divinity: Original Sin launched on GOG.com on July 9, I sent the online store a question about their pricing.
And for last Larian Studios has released another patch on Steam.

Update v1.0.67

Hi everybody! Some fixes weren't ready in time for yesterday's update but they are ready now:

- Fixed issue where some game sessions could crash when playing in the Black Cove
- Fixed issue with missing sounds
- Region swapping while sneaking will no longer crash the client
- Fixed crash when the game didn't find a sound device
- Fixed issue when saving during the start of a combat

Please, don't forget to check the integrity of your game cache whenever an update is released.

To do so: right click on Divinity:Original sin in your library, select properties, click on local files and then click on "verify integrity of game cache".

Next week btw we'll be bringing you extra AI personalities together with a number of improvements based on your feedback
More information.

And Original Sin is still the number-one seller on Steam. I got nervous when I opened Steam tonight and saw Goat Simulator on sale for 40% off, but the goat only managed to come in third.

You don't, you can just know the rank in sales (Top Sellers).

It's word of mouth. I visit several forums, and even in forums that are more 'FPS' friendly, there are long threads talking about this game, and lots of people that are curious about this game even though they've never played turn based RPGs.

Last edited:
Ok, I've officially moved from the "this game is really good" camp to this game is top 10 all time CRPG (and fast approaching top 5). I was regarding it as a 2nd-tier game that tries really hard but has a lot of history to measure up to. Then, I had a battle that was one of the most satisfying I've had since the likes of ToEE or BG2. Long… momentum shifting back and forth… a few lucky roles and I win, without losing a single party member, although 3 out 4 had less than 20 hit points at the end.

And these glasses are not rose-colored. I've been keeping expectations in check with this game and hoping for something fun, but more enamored by the potential of the toolset. The toolset is still a great thing… believe me… but the game itself is superb. I've been bitten by the bug… and it feels so good.

@Falchor
I agree - I had several fights already in which I had to use resurrection scrolls.
This game is challenging, interesting, fun and rich in variety.

Normal, with only one pure Mage.
The rest: Fighter, Ranger, Rogue.

It sounds like it's more challenging than the average modern-day crpg. Would you say that's the case?

I was going to play on Hard like I do with most games, but maybe I'll just go with normal difficulty for this one.

@Falchor
I agree - I had several fights already in which I had to use resurrection scrolls.
This game is challenging, interesting, fun and rich in variety.

That is good to hear. I'm glad they made a game like this in the spirit of the classic party-based RPGs. I hope they make a lot of money off it.

I suggest to play a more melee oriented party on normal and a more magic oriented party on hard.
(I think a pure four fighter party with healing abilities can be played on hard, too).

It sounds like it's more challenging than the average modern-day crpg. Would you say that's the case?

I was going to play on Hard like I do with most games, but maybe I'll just go with normal difficulty for this one.

I´d recommend starting with normal - the first 1/3 of the game is really, really well balanced on that difficulty.
Later, the grow of your characters will likely make most of the combat encounters rather trivial, regardless of difficulty setting.
Playing the game on hard from the start will likely result in unnecessary discrepancy between the game´s early and later stages.

I personally think it depends on your party composition and what you fight. The complexity is more on how elements and surface interact with each others and how to use them to your advantage.

edit:

How and you have to read stuff to know where to go and what to do...

I've only been fighting with 2 party members 1 mage doing the dmg and cc and 1 fighter just to keep the mage safe and having a blast. I haven't taken on the NPC's because they don't feel like they belong in my party's personality. I'm lvl 5 and able to take on lvl 7 mobs with a little positioning and using the oil + fire combo to keep enemies away.

Looking forward to what the editor can do. One thing I'd really like changed is the level scaling of items (or so I've read). More talents and skills would also be nice.

I´d recommend starting with normal - the first 1/3 of the game is really, really well balanced on that difficulty.
Later, the grow of your characters will likely make most of the combat encounters rather trivial, regardless of difficulty setting.
Playing the game on hard from the start will likely result in unnecessary discrepancy between the game´s early and later stages.

Actually, to me it felt a bit the other way around. The beginning was really easy combat wise, but somewhere around level 10 the fights got alot harder and I had to change my tactics accordingly. But I can imagine the end game is trivial for a well built party. But that is as it should be (IMO).

I've only been fighting with 2 party members 1 mage doing the dmg and cc and 1 fighter just to keep the mage safe and having a blast. I haven't taken on the NPC's because they don't feel like they belong in my party's personality. I'm lvl 5 and able to take on lvl 7 mobs with a little positioning and using the oil + fire combo to keep enemies away.

I was contemplating restarting with 2 lonewolf characters.... I'm just not sure.

I find the combat (on normal) challenging once you get to silverg (lulla forest). Not every fight is hard but enough of them are that I'm surprise so many people say they are easy. The fights before that area were pretty easy ('cept for the one king in a chapel). My party is maybe a bit gimp since my second character is a shield warriro and does very little damge but can suck up hits and keep ticking. Most of the damager comes from Madora - the two mages basicaly keep her alive and she goes awhacking.

I'm not done yet just hit phantom forest @ level 15. Pretty good game but was not happy with mines/death knight. Won't go into details here.
Death knights in the mine are actually a puzzle with indestructible obstacles - find a path where you don't have to sneak with the whole party.
I was happy with that area and IMO it's top notch design. btw, it's not the hardest puzzle in the game.

I was contemplating restarting with 2 lonewolf characters…. I'm just not sure.
Just don't. I refused to take the NPC mage with me in the first town as he wanted me to never strike a deal with EA demons. I won't accept a blackmail - if he said you can strike a deal if it's worldwide benefit of no DLC scam...
But I took that warrior lady and during the game you're slowly learning her side story. With 2 lonewolves, you'd never see it.

Back
Top Bottom