5 things I spazz about in games, because

xSamhainx

Paws of Doom
Original Sin Donor
There was another list, here's mine. I'm going to list 5 things that make me spazz out

I curse loudly if:
- RTS games that dont have unit stances (defensive, aggressive, etc).
- RTS games that dont have formations of any sort
- No zoomable/rotating adjustable camera. Any game. It's 2013, let me view how I want
- no instant comparison of new item with equipped item on your character (i really get mad)
- FPS games have a slight auto aim but you dont notice it until youre digging around the options one day, and realize the deceit of playing while being helped along the whole time. I thought i was just doing really good.

FPS games have a slight auto aim but you dont notice it until youre digging around the options one day, and realize the deceit of playing while being helped along the whole time. I thought i was just doing really good.
It's Auto-Tune for gamers!

Console gamers need it, though. Aiming precisely with those analog sticks simply doesn't work very well.

- No zoomable/rotating adjustable camera. Any game. It's 2013, let me view how I want
I tend curse/whine against games WITH rotating camera in top/iso like games. I played too many managing it very well without any rotating camera that I feel it's lazy designers bothering me with pointless controls.

- FPS games have a slight auto aim but you dont notice it until youre digging around the options one day, and realize the deceit of playing while being helped along the whole time. I thought i was just doing really good.
In multiplayer that changes nothing. In single player, in most fps there's an imprecision part which is exactly like auto aiming, when hit the shoulder is the same than hit a leg or hit a stomach, that's auto aiming approximation.

I feel shooter better stop provide any cross and visor and eventually add a slight auto aiming, than provide a cross aiming without auto aiming. I think the first design generates a much better feeling and pleasure of aiming. Still regret the fun from that with Doom. It was a constant surprise and pleasure to notice how on Doom you could aim very well despite no aiming cross. I still remember that fun but I just can't give up now the option of using a cross/visor in fps. I need be forced into this choice but no fps has the balls to do it.

I tend curse/whine against games WITH rotating camera in top/iso like games.
Really? Because I'm playing Xenonauts right now and that game sure could benefit from camera rotation. And true 3D line-of-sight. And a 3D engine basically. Hell, Silent Storm was released over ten years ago and I'm still waiting for a tactical squad-based shooter half as good.

Replaying Neverwinter Nights (1) right now… and that game could benefit from NO rotating camera. Having to constantly rotate your viewpoint can really get in the way of simply enjoying the game.

The Infinity Engine games worked just fine with no rotating camera. Yes, they're 2D, but I don't feel that relevant from a gameplay perspective.

Replaying Neverwinter Nights (1) right now… and that game could benefit from NO rotating camera. Having to constantly rotate your viewpoint can really get in the way of simply enjoying the game.

The Infinity Engine games worked just fine with no rotating camera. Yes, they're 2D, but I don't feel that relevant from a gameplay perspective.

there are multiple camera settings on NWN and there's even an old mod which allows for first person VP among other camera options.

--

On cameras, it ticks me off when the camera is not free. Why should my perspective change (my Z axis) just because I am zooming in and why am I limited in my zoom in? Its clear that these are artificial limitations.

Last edited:
The multiple camera options don't address the fact that the game is designed from the ground up for the camera to be rotated in order to see all objects in a room.

I know about the first person perspective mod but, frankly, the game looks like crud the closer you get and the mod only makes it worse :p (Not to mention tactical concerns).

I've become incredibly sensitive to auto-aim during the last couple of years. I'm usually able to detect it almost instantly (mainly because I'm not particularly good at aiming in games...), and it is a game breaker for me. Tried the recent AvP demo, noticed that the game was aiming for me, and turned it off, uninstalled it and never looked at it again. Auto-aim quite simply ruins the experience for me in that type of games.

-Too many commands mapped to the same button or commands that might get in the way of each other mapped to the same button. Like say pick up weapon & reload, with no way of changing it (Saint's Row 2 & 3 are prime offenders here). When you stand in the middle of a crowd of enemies, you don't want to have to worry about standing near the weapon of one of the ones that you just killed in case you want to reload.

Back
Top Bottom