RPGWatch Feature - Encased Early Access Preview

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Redglyph takes a look at Encased, which is currently in Early Access.

Encased is a post-apocalyptic CRPG set in an alternate 70's era, it takes place inside a giant dome that has been built by a mysterious, more advanced civilization, the Forefathers, and recently discovered in a remote desert. CRONUS, a company founded by governments for that purpose, sent people inside the dome to explore and assess the situation. There, they found new technologies and strange artefacts left by the Forefather. More people were sent, they built facilities and brought more equipment inside the dome to recover these artefacts and try to understand the technology. The player is one of the new arrivals.

The dome has a life of its own and seems to react to the recent presence of humans by spawning anomalies, and triggering other events that will quickly escalate to a potential disaster. The journey to the dome is a one-way trip for living creatures: the explorers cannot come back, so it is up to them to face those events in order to preserve the settlements and survive.
More information.

Thanks Redglyph! - If this is a "quick preview" - I want to see a review from you as well :)

Thanks!

Thanks Redglyph! - If this is a "quick preview" - I want to see a review from you as well :)
Perhaps the screenshots make it look bigger? ;) I'd be glad to write a review when the final release hits us.

I'm really looking forward to it, there are still a lot to discover! To add a bit of information, there are significant choices & consequences in acts 2 & 3, the Early Access doesn't include them so this is not visible yet. And if I'm correct, there are also multiple endings, at least that was mentioned in the campaign. They'll surely correct me if that isn't the case.

PS: I hope it wasn't too much trouble to convert it, @Myrthos; :)

I agree with Hidden X your previews are very heavy on content and screenshots. I really appreciate all the work you did, and its an intersting read too!
Your review makes me glad I backed this one. Its the kind of game I wouldn't crowdfund anymore, so I'm happy my investment seems to have paid off.

Wew, Great preview!

I have backed this game on Kickstarter and I do not regret it at all. I played it several months ago until I got stuck and I decided I would play it again once it's out of EA. But what I could see was really solid and enjoyable.

I guess it shares the russian vibe of Atom-Rpg has and I agree that it's more... forgiving and polished. I could also compare it to Underrail. Anyhow, it's a nice game and it certainly deserve the spotlight you give it.

I haven't mentioned psionics in the combat weapons/styles :blush: That's because we just had this video on them, of course. Right...

@forgottenlor; Hopefully not too heavy, I tend to babble on a lot :) Being a quick preview also means I haven't spent much time reworking it to summarize some points. As in Solasta's preview, I prefer developing what is unlikely to change, and focus on the new parts in the review (story-related, mainly), I won't repeat what has been detailed in the preview so the length remains acceptable.

Have you played it, or are you keeping the surprise for the final release?

@vanedor; You may find this video interesting, if you haven't watched it yet. I haven't played underrail, but I suspected as much, Encased looks shorter though.

History Behind Russian Fallout - Encased RPG Dev Update 8

Thanks, @Redglyph;!

In the 2nd screenshot there's a secondary stat "psionic damage". What's that about?

That is indeed a meaty and insightful read, thanks so much for your thoughts on this project, Redglyph. It's been a long time coming via the kick starter campaign, yet I think we'll have a fine game to cheer on when it's all said and done.

I forgot about this game. Thanks for reminding me. Nice review and looking forward to getting Encased at release.

Thanks for the another in-depth preview @Redglyph; :)

@Myrthos; - is it possible for you to change the title/heading to add "RPGWatch Feature"?

Yeah, probably shorter than underrail. That game is huge. You have to try it, eventually.
I know it's a classic and I'd probably enjoy it but I'm a bit concerned about the time it may take. I also realize that repeated and heavy combats are not my thing at the moment.

Thanks for the another in-depth preview @Redglyph; :)

@Myrthos; - is it possible for you to change the title/heading to add "RPGWatch Feature"?
Well spotted, thanks!
Looking forward to reading yours :)

@Redglyph;, after betatesting Expedition:Vikings for a preview many years ago, I decided not to play any more early access. When I got around to playing the full version a couple years after release I actually enjoyed the game quite a bit, but I just don't get much joy out of beta testing anymore.

Nod, Forgottenlor, I used to alpha and beta test games all the time (starting with some gold box games back in the day, and a short stint with MicroProse following that doing Darklands, which I actually got credit for). I found that after doing that for over ten years, it took some of the joy out of playing the final product. I've nothing but the utmost respect for folks that can do that year after year and maintain the same kind of joy for the final release product. They are made of sterner stuff than I.

That's the best strategy, for sure! I'd even wait a while after the release.

The experience is definitely not the same, but there's fun in testing the game and seeing how it evolves. It gives a visibility on the evolution of the game that we don't have with bigger AAA titles (which I tend to avoid these days).

Myrthos - is it possible for you to change the title/heading to add "RPGWatch Feature"?
How could I have forgotten that. Thanks Purple.

I never backed this one, I don't remember why not...could have been kickstarter burnout a bit.

I'm looking forward to checking this one out closer to release.

Good job on the preview.

And if I'm correct, there are also multiple endings...
There are! Multiple endings for each faction and resolutions for major events, much like Fallout 1/2.

Back
Top Bottom