What games are you playing now?

Installed & tried Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds yesterday evening.

My feelings about it are mixed. The graphics look a bit too small for my taste ... So far (I've only played the very first learning missions) I'd call it mediocre.

Just got Dawn of Discovery (Anno 1404) and hope to get ome decent play time over vacation with that ...

Just got Dawn of Discovery (Anno 1404) and hope to get ome decent play time over vacation with that ...

Like the look of that. So, are you going to be charitable, or are you going to burn the beggars?

^^ +1. Looks really cool, but no military with that, right? Dunno if straight economy would hold my interest.

Seems to be a good time to check out my own long-forgotten copy of Jade Empire, what with all the talk, so I loaded it up last night and started a character. Damn the thing is full of movies and cutscenes for seemingly every conversation, but that may just be the beginning. Other than that, it's pretty fun so far.

I started Pool of Radiance for my first time over the weekend. Slowly working through the slums. It's quite a challenge!

Well, I really wonder about this!!! Games certainly have improved in 20 years!

Initially, I was extremely put off by the tedious interface and weird money situation (and am still somewhat), but am really digging the turned based combat (even though it's a REALLY awkward interface). Getting all the keystrokes memorized helps loads (there's no mouse support). But why will the innkeeper only accept platinum pieces when I have plenty of gold pieces. Strange auto-conversion of gold to platinum happens when you buy stuff?

I'm using DosBox 7.3 and it's working pretty well, although the screen gets corrupted with black junk sometimes, and the sound is distorted.

I begun playing Point Lookout, the fourth DLC for F3.

The DLC feels different compared with the original game, thanks to the new environment. PL isn't placed in the capital wasteland, but on an abandoned rural landscape, or beach/swamp area, covered in mist. The new landscape have a somewhat eerie feel to it, like a mix between Silent Hill and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. I especially liked the abandoned lighthouse and the abandoned harbor. It's also interesting to walk around in nature for once, with actual bushes and trees.

Another fresh take is that you ultimately will have to make a choice between two factions, of which cannot be distinguished by "good" or "evil".

Warlords: Battlecry III.

Liking it very much so far. RPG/RTS that is actually fun. Unlike spellforce... ugh.

I'm playing the demo of a game called 'Trine' that's about to come out. It's a great looking platform game, you get a thief, knight and wizard and they each have unique abilities used to solve various puzzles. It has experience, but I don't really know how it works in the game yet. This is pretty well done.

http://trine-thegame.com/site/

looks like good old fun, a bit in the style of the lost vikings if I am not mistaken.
About lost vikings: Is teenage zombies5DS) same like that gameplay wise or is it more an action game?

I just noticed that their publishers seem to have messed things up a bit :

http://frozenbyte.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1715

http://frozenbyte.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1662

On Amazon Germany, the game seems to cost 55 Euros :
http://www.amazon.de/ASCARON-Entert..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1246446224&sr=8-1
Why they explicitely write "English Uncut" there is beyod my understanding.

Someone there (seemingly one of the devs) has made a bitter satire of their pricing problem :

http://frozenbyte.com/board/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1712

looks like good old fun, a bit in the style of the lost vikings if I am not mistaken.
About lost vikings: Is teenage zombies5DS) same like that gameplay wise or is it more an action game?

It's definitely more action oriented, but it still has puzzles and experience points. I finished the rather short demo, but it's a lot of fun.

Returned home from vacation last night... so I'm picking up where I left off on Final Fantasy IV DS and Fallout 1.

I've almost filled out my PvZ zen gardens. I've got a couple more spots to fill in the day garden (no duplicates allowed), and then I think I can put the obsession to an end for a while and concentrate on Drakensang. 300 feet on the tree and no new wisdom since 100 feet. Booooo!

I've almost filled out my PvZ zen gardens. I've got a couple more spots to fill in the day garden (no duplicates allowed), and then I think I can put the obsession to an end for a while and concentrate on Drakensang. 300 feet on the tree and no new wisdom since 100 feet. Booooo!

That is a bummer about the tree of wisdom, I keep feeding it and it just thanks me and says if I keep feeding it, it might have some more wisdom but never does. I'm getting some variety using some plants that I never really used, I think I'm going to try the "Imitator" for the first time but Crazy Dave's description is kind of vague, and I'm not sure what it does.

I'm playing that Point Lookout DLC thingy for Fallout 3. It's the first one that I haven't had any problems buying or installing, and not only that, it's the first one that I would class as "reasonably good" (The Pitt was okay, and the other two were terrible IMO). There's some nice little bits and bobs for all you explorers.

Also still trying to finish NWN 2 after playing it on and off for the last couple of years. I'm very near the end now, and for the second time I've come across a well known "show stopper" that I had to use the console to get past. My research tells me that it's existed since first release, which annoys me somewhat.
Other than that the game seems to be a lot better toward the end.

playing Jade Empire, going full on evil or "closed fist" for once.

Pretty fun actually to be a jerk instead of a saint for once

That is a bummer about the tree of wisdom, I keep feeding it and it just thanks me and says if I keep feeding it, it might have some more wisdom but never does. I'm getting some variety using some plants that I never really used, I think I'm going to try the "Imitator" for the first time but Crazy Dave's description is kind of vague, and I'm not sure what it does.
It's a semi-useful piece. When you select it at the beginning of the level, it brings up a menu of all the non-upgrade plants you have and you pick one. That allows you to have, say, 2 cherry bombs on a level so you don't have to wait as long for a recharge. The downside is that it has a delay on it--you drop it on the lawn as a potato and then it transforms into the plant you picked. So, where you can drop a cherry bomb into a pack of zombies and it will blow up before they eat it, with the imitator they will have enough time to eat it before it transforms and then blows up. I've probably used it most as a 2nd tall nut since the recharge on that is so long.

I have to agree on the Tree of Wisdom thing. The little bit of silliness you got from feeding to 100 feet doesn't seem worth it, especially if there's nothing further forthcoming. I've now finished adventure four times(!) and it seems a bit harder, but I could be imagining things.
@Sir Markus: I've used the imitatator a few times for things with a long recharge, but you can't duplicate everything as dte points out, and the lag time really only makes it useful for things that are not in the thick of the fray. I tried using it for my sunflowers, to get a boost in the very beginning, but they're tricky with the resources, so even if you get your imitation sunflower up while the other's recharging, there isn't enough sun to buy it, so it's fairly pointless.

Back
Top Bottom