Dark Souls - A Game For Adults @ Bitmob

console game
made by the developer of nearly all action console games like the Armored Core series. with names like "dark souls" and "demon souls" their really setting the bar high for a mature and literate audience.

its true that unimaginative names aren't too big a deal but a developers tract record is and unless they've cleaned house or had some new directive their catelogue of past games gives them no merit and little hope of escaping a fate that doesn't put them any where near an adult crpg. but hey i might be wrong, but unlikely i'll be finding out on this one.

console game
made by the developer of nearly all action console games like the Armored Core series. with names like "dark souls" and "demon souls" their really setting the bar high for a mature and literate audience.

its true that unimaginative names aren't too big a deal but a developers tract record is and unless they've cleaned house or had some new directive their catelogue of past games gives them no merit and little hope of escaping a fate that doesn't put them any where near an adult crpg. but hey i might be wrong, but unlikely i'll be finding out on this one.

You're obviously not very familiar with From Software. They've been developing RPGs since the mid-90s, and their development history is pretty evenly divided between RPGs, action games, and adventure games.

and what games would those be smarty pants that didn't fit my discription. well over 50 games on gamespot and the dozen or so are some obscure jrpg franchise i've never even heard of let alone played and i owned a ps for many years. kings field. i know you amonst a few others have a special place in your heart for these jrpgs, but these ones are quite obscure and while i played armored core back in the day, the only jrpg franchise i ever really played was final fantasy, and even a game like that has zero interest in me today especially with emmergence of all the european rpg franchises that aren't even comparable in their dominance.

also of all those games their only seems to be a pc port of ninja blade? surely you don't dispute that the western or europeon rpg model has produced games that weren't somehow pc related. to me this is just another game, franchise, etc much like the overhyped GTA series that people think is a deep and open rpg experience, but really catered much more towards the transformer and taco bell audience.

again maybe its a good game, but i guess i deem myself a different type of adult then they claim and a different type of rpg gamer.

and what games would those be smarty pants that didn't fit my discription. well over 50 games on gamespot and the dozen or so are some obscure jrpg franchise i've never even heard of let alone played and i owned a ps for many years. kings field. i know you amonst a few others have a special place in your heart for these jrpgs, but these ones are quite obscure and while i played armored core back in the day, the only jrpg franchise i ever really played was final fantasy, and even a game like that has zero interest in me today especially with emmergence of all the european rpg franchises that aren't even comparable in their dominance.

Ok, so you admit that you know little about the developer. So why make foolish statements then? You're better off not commenting at all when you don't know what you're talking about.

to me this is just another game, franchise, etc much like the overhyped GTA series that people think is a deep and open rpg experience, but really catered much more towards the transformer and taco bell audience.

Transformer and Taco Bell audience? Again, why comment on a game you obviously have never played?

I don't know where you are coming from, curious. I haven't played Dark Souls but Demons Souls is a deep, intelligent, challenging experience. It's very much focused on the challenging combat, so it isn't for every one, but they certainly made a game that defies typical expectations, especially on a console. I never play multiplayer games but even I found the MP design fascinating.

Why would you want to attack them?

like i said it may be a good game, but based on past evidence i have a hard time believing it. not all that dissimilar from some peoples disbelief that fable 3 really is a great game and after finishing it this week it stands as one of my top 3 games of the year beating out both dragon age 2 and the witcher 2 which both were weaker than there predecessors. only assassin's creed brotherhood and deus ex human revolution would i give top notch ratings to as well.

some of my dislike is simply a stubborn taste issue too as i really believe names are important and despite the weak names of the souls games what is more uninspiring to me is a company that names itself from software. its like having a kid and naming them from daddy and not giving them any personality of there own to grow with. its true this is a bias as i also think people who name there kids junior are pricks as well. to me my gaming experience has to an art form somewhat not just a violence simulator and why these issues may be small or non-existence for most they prevent the experience from even starting for me if too many are present.

@JDR-Is there anything but combat that stands out about these games? I generally don't like games where combat is the primary focus. I'd pay full price for a deep crpg but a challenging fight game is worth about $5 to me, because I'll probably suck at it :D

also the words deep and adult seem to have polar meanings for me compared to many. when i hear or see deep i don't think of layered but instead emotion. when i see adult i don't think of age or intelligence i think of awareness and conscious.

fable 3 may come off as cartoonish and childlike but that doesn't mean it doesn't deal in humanity and mature issues. dealiing with issues like poverty, opression, promises, etc. are highly "adult" to me and some of the games topics illicit deep responses. the gameplay and rpg side many not be very "deep" in its structure but again that word has different meanings to some.

there's many games that get high praises for players and reviews but have no interest to me much like the GTA, god, gears, etc of war, or other series. to me it's nearly impossible to play games that illicit little positive emotions and seem to be lacking in humanity. dead island is one of the most violent and grusome games i've played, but the violence is against the unliving and those that are alive in the game you can or do spend the rest of the time struggling to help. without that i wouldn't have been able to keep playing the game. combat can make a game fun and provide "challenges" in the game but if they are the only ones and there are no human element challenges than i'd be jumping ship out of the game right quick even if its a franchise or developer i have experience with.

I think some of your comments look a bit silly, to be honest. It may not be a game for you - that's fair enough. You may disagree that "adult" and "no hand-holding" are similar conceits, even though that sounds a reaonable (not necessarily perfect) interpretation to me. But you don't like the developer's name? But you loved Fable 3? Are generic names only allowed for the games themselves? Are you sure "From Software" doesn't have a different context in Japanese?

Back
Top Bottom