Deus Ex: Mankind Divide Thread (tips and stuff)

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Website is back, but we lost data so I'm making this thread once again. Please keep spoilers in spoiler tags.

Reddit collection of helpful links (performance/support)

New list of tips after 38 hours and I'm not done yet. For the record DX:HR took me 35 hours with the same style of gameplay (stealth/none-lethal) and I was taking down everyone in DX:HR but I don't here.

Tips
  • Talks to everyone with names and listen to people talking, it could give you pointers for side quests or code/passwords which on missions (also, hints about certain things)
  • Having the "jump" and/or "Icarus dash" augs helps a lot. Like a LOT.
  • Remote hacking is the only way to unlock certain things, like window metal blinds, folding ladders or locked vents on top of the other things it does.
  • Take your time to explore there is stuff hidden everywhere. Especially higher up, behind secret walls that require buttons and the floors.
  • You can craft a lots of stuff that can be useful (multitool, aug ammo, biocells)
  • Do your side quests before having a main quest that makes you leave Prague, the game warn you about it too (exception SM03, that ones covers the whole game).
  • A few side quests have follow up side quests at various stage of the game, not finishing them first means less side quests later.
  • EMP ammo works on exoskeleton enemies, turrets, camera and bots…
  • A "stunned" (stun gun or EMP) exoskeleton enemy can be taken down with a takedown…you can try once to see what happens when they aren't stunned ;)
  • The game has too much credits. I'm over 70k, stealth run means you have too much bullets too ;).
  • Play on the hardest difficulty available, it's more interesting that way.
  • Holding "R" allow you to switch ammo.

edit some more:
- Each time you come back to Prague, travel around, some side quests are directly delivered to your info-link but others require to find something (luckily, it's usually close to your apartment).

Last edited:
My pleasure Dean.

I'm checking reddit for the game (in case I see some interesting tip) and I'm seeing people asking questions about certain things and the only way I can rationalize asking those questions is if they didn't paid attention to the dialogues and cutscenes.

Stop rushing your games, you'll understand what is happening better.

Too bad the old thread is gone, but no matter.

I'll put a few words of mine (finished the game, explored everything, messed up just one sidemission, took me 65 hours).

1. I'm not sure if the game can be finished without using any augmentation ever. DX:HR could be done this way, but MD doesn't feel like it's possible. This is something I'll never try though. JDR will, I'm sure.

2. While mentioning JDR, there are not enough praxis kits spread out in the world to make you max all augmentations during one run.
There are enough though to max important augmentations. The total of praxis kits is 16 plus Tars bonus. I can list them with locations if necessary. Tars is the only trader who sells these kits but his offer doesn't refresh in each game the same way. Feels like a bug and since DX:MD is not supposed to be roguelike I've reported the issue to tech support.
NewGame+ exists to max everything if you'll go for the certain horrible achievement, but lemme talk about that later.

3. Instead of talking about important augmentations, I'll rather mention those you shouldn't pick in the first run:
- Hacking fortify tree - utterly useless thing as you have overclock, nuke and stop software options during hacking
- Micro-assembler tree - needed only if you'll fastrun the game, otherwise useless
- Lidar mark-tracer tree - not even sure why would anyone take this one ever
- Wayfinder radar tree - not completely useless, but not worth investing asap, if you want it, first take everything else
- Chaff from previous radar tree - bugged, renders your grenades useless
- Sentinel RX health tree - with so many "stimpacks" noone needs this crap
- Recoil compensation and reload dexterity from cybernetic handling tree - it's cheaper to invest in new experimental nanoblade
- PEPS tree - awsome for fun, but in the first playthrough basically useless
- Quicksilver reflex booster tree - double takedown that is horribly bugged so use experimental Tesla instead
- Typhoon tree - just as PEPS, fun but in your first playthrough completely unnecessary
- Focus Enhancement tree - can be useful while hacking and perhaps in boss fights, but definetly not necessary
- Rhino dermal armor tree - "stimpacks" render this one irrelevant too
- Titan tree - same as above
- Leg silencers from cybernetic leg prothesis tree - needed only in final mission if you want to make the best ending

-

About horrible achievement I mentioned, or continued achievements decadence, there is this achievement:
The Jack of All Augments
Invest in at least one augmentation in every branch of the Aug Tree.
All clear? The thing is, two augmentations are not a part of the game but come with DLC (Tactical pack and Assault Pack). So unless you buy Tactical Pack DLC, no achievement for you. It's basically "bought TP DLC" achievement and is one of several stuff that stink worse than a skunk in this game.
Another note, Chaff, that's Assault Pack DLC augmentation, ruins the game as I mentioned above.

Final note.
The game has it's fair share of bugs. Some are gamestoppers (finding an uncounscious critical NPC you need to talk to for example). Because of that I suggest always making a separate save when entering an area for the first time.

Last edited:
Exactly.
Nano for lethal, tesla for non lethal.
At a certain point of the game I stopped looting random weaponry and stuff completely because I reached 120K of $ - and there was nothing worth buying!

Wait, people use weapons in none-lethal? I always just go with the takedown. No weapon needed.

I just finished it (42 hours, I most have missed some stuff because I didn't find all the triangles and breach software). Unlike many, many, many people I knew I was on the last mission the moment it started. I really liked that mission too. Putting the "you unlocked X" before the epilogue probably took a few people by surprise though. Also, cliffhangers and mid-credit scenes. Argh. I WANT MORE!!!!!

Apparently, they started working on the next game last year (probably when they delayed it…which seems to have been delayed to add monetization and Breach too, because Square London asked for that crap). The downside, Square put lots of money on this and they need 3m sales, but the game doesn't seems to sell that much right now. :'(

Now spoiler rambling time, for past, present and future DX game:
Is it me or Lucius looks like Charles Dance? Also, Manderley is a bit more chubby than I remember.

Dammit, I liked Dr Auzenne the most out of the cast at TF29, with Mac second. I like the behind the scene Illuminati meeting stuff, so many pieces falling together with the future events we know about. I'm suspicious of never seeing Elizabeth DuClare's face or hearing her voice though (have we seen her in a game before?).

Seems like we already have Dedalus running wild, it's just not calling itself that yet and might be missing a few bits. Also, lying!Eliza is most probably Morpheus.

When I did the second Samizdat side quest and the guy said he was going to Paris I went "those guy are going to become Silhouette!!!" and the epilogue proved me right.

Jensen being used to get to Janus, hmm. I kinda wish the next game had you playing Alex, though.

Orchid is an interesting little thing. One, it means that Meagan continued her project based of Jensen's DNA. Second, it explain why in 2052 nobody talked about Neuropozyne. The sad side of this, her lab is San Francisco which will be destroyed in 2030 by man-made earthquakes along with most of California.

There was hint in the game about the Spanish flu coming back, well there will be an epidemic in 2030 and lots of people will die.

I'm suspect the next game is in 2031 or slightly after that. That's the year the NSF started their little rebellion and tried to have a few states secede from the USA. Slightly after would put it along Majestic 12 rebellion against the Illuminati.

Yes, I used both tranq rifle and stungun in nonlethal playthrough.
It's sometimes faster to snipe a distant hostile then knock down the one close before one notices another being down. Also tranq. rifle works miracles against ogres (but you have to shoot them in nonmetal area 3-4 times). And ogres are (excerpt from Children's Crusade comicbook):
w89k5f.jpg

Triangles and breach software are irrelevant stuff. It's pokemon phone collection. I suggest ignoring that rubbish. In fact if you want all those triangles in the phone bugged app, just scan 'em from some wiki page.
In any case triangles and breach "boxes" plus that breach mode that should have been named backtrack and not breach, are negative material in DX:MD that shouldn't have been part of the game in the first place. If there was a way to pay less and get a game without that bundled rubbish, I'd do it.

According to Jim Sterling's sources, both DX:MD and DX:MD-2 were in development paralelly. DX:MD-2 team however was helping DX:MD team for some reason, dunno which one. Okay the other game perhaps isn't titled DX:MD-2 but most probably DX:Lightning Jensen Returns. It worked for them in FF13 so they expect it also here.

The game is not selling like a cure on Steam because Square Enix thought it's a great idea to put pay2win microtransactions in a fullpriced game on PC. Maybe console audience that doesn't care about scams is more forgiving. I've already suggested all my friends not to buy the game till the phone designs scamware is completely removed.

And honestly, I can't believe Square Enix decided to do this. The game itself, when you strip away the cretinous breach, triangles idiocy, microtransactions and cut out augmentations sold as DLC, the game is great. Okay, if you close eyes on a few annoying bugs too.
Instead of giving ourselves a serious GOTY contender, Square Enix delivered a best looking pay2win phonegame. Disgusting. I wish Eidos Montreal was under CDpr.

One thing they did right though. Missions DLC are standalone. Won't mess your main game anyhow.

Last edited:
Triangles and breach software are irrelevant stuff. It's pokemon phone collection. I suggest ignoring that rubbish.

I don't necessarily want them, but not finding half of them means I missed a lot of secret places.

Actually no you didn't.
Those rubbish triangles you can easily miss while crawling through vents where those are sometimes placed. It's just hard to spot them. Some they placed under boxes. For god's sakes.

Not sure how you missed half of breach zipdrive boxes though. I myself missed only a few (4) but I really didn't crawl nor jumped exactly everywhere possible while I was in Golem part so I bet those are hiding there.

I've found plenty of those triangle thingies, no idea what to do with them or how to use 'em. At least they don't take up precious inventory space!!

They are phone scannable links via the DX app and unlock dev commentaries or other goodies.

So now that I finished the game and the pre-order mission, I went around reading spoilers!!

Dang. I'm going to have to replay this. Looks like I should have spent more times in GARM (I blitzed that place because I love travel in higher places, I must have been a cat in another life) and there is so many hidden stuff (like an email associated to a specific person in DX:HR contacting someone in DX:MD giving you a big hint that this is an (Illuminati mole).

The game definetly needs a replay even if you were nitpicking in the first run.

I did thorough GARM investigation and for all I know missed nothing there. But that killed my foxiest achievement (the friggin' drill!).
But as I mentioned before, I didn't explore Golem City hostiles part thoroughly.

Seems quite a few people are not aware of certain things about hacking, had to repeat it on Steam forum so I'll also add it here:

- If you attack red nodes instead of green ones, you get data storage contents without need to grab them during the hacking process. This is not always possible though (when paths are marked as oneway).

- If a keypad goes on lockdown because of failed attempts, no need to wait till it's cooldown expires, just shoot it with EMP ammo, it'll instantly reset!

EDIT:
Remember 0451 from DX:HR? Well it's easter egg in DX:MD - twice (at least what I know).
Try it on the first keypad you stumble upon in the game.
Later, lock the apartment, jump out from the window that go back by stairs. Guess what to enter to unlock the door. ;)

Last edited:
DX12 support coming tomorrow. More information tomorrow I guess.

I explored most of Golem, especially The Throat which has a lot of hard to access spot with loot. LIke I said, I must have been a cat in another life... ;)

EDIT:
Remember 0451 from DX:HR? Well it's easter egg in DX:MD - twice (at least what I know).
Try it on the first keypad you stumble upon in the game.
Later, lock the apartment, jump out from the window that go back by stairs. Guess what to enter to unlock the door. ;)

lol. Dammit Jensen!
451 is also mentioned in conversation between people are some point.

DX12 patch is up on Steam, but in Beta (no SLI support and I suggest Nvidia owner don't bother with it, see why here). AMD released new drivers to go with this update as well. There is also a bug where some high-end cards revert to DX11.

Because it's a beta patch you need to:
Once updated, within your Steam Library, right-click on Deus Ex: Mankind Divided. Select ‘properties’ from the context menu and navigate to the Beta tab. From the dropdown menu, select dx12_preview then close the window.

edit:
There is a start up crash for some people with DX12 enabled (that include me *cry*).

Last edited:
Is there some difference in graphic quality for DX12 patch or only in performance ?

There is no difference in quality. And to even use it you need to enable beta build as it's not finished yet.
I suggest trying dx12 only if the game performance was generally poor on your machine.

Back
Top Bottom