RPGWatch Feature - Torment: Tides of Numenera Review

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Corwin checked out Torment: Tides of Numenera and provides his view on the game in this review.

Unlike most modern RPG's you don't get any choice with your avatar; it's either an ugly male or an ugly female. Gender has almost no impact on the game. As you progress in the game you will, as expected, gain XP which will eventually allow you to 'level up'. In Torment, it is done a little differently than in most RPG's. You begin as a Tier 1 character and every time you gain a level you can improve one of four areas, but you can only improve it once each Tier. These four areas are: Stats, Edge, Effort, and Abilities/Skills. Once you complete each of these four areas, you will rise to next Tier which will open up new skills and abilities. There are only four Tiers in the game, so you have limited choices over what to improve. This is further complicated by the fact that Skills and Abilities are different, but you only get to improve one of them each Tier.
More information.

Thanks Corwin for the review and Wolfgrimdark for the screenshots.

Thanks for the review, Corwin! The game actually doesn't seem bad. The review is far more positive than the Codex one.

That review hits all the major points. Very well done Corwin. I think I will hold off until they add the extra content. There is no way I am doing that much reading twice. I would rather just snuggle in my bed with a good book :)

Last edited:
Good review, you hit the major problems and all the good points. I am with Hastar though, I will wait to read this once over.

Great review, Corwin.

There is no way I am doing that much reading twice. I would rather just snuggle in my bed with a good book :)

You could always play it on the Shield since it just released on there. Snuggle in bed with an immersive pair of headphones and a good RPG. It's noice. :)

I'm sorry, but how anyone can find writing good that for a very large portion just describes what you can see with your own eyes on the screen is beyond me.

The rest of the review I can definitely follow, though.

Thanks for the great review, Corwin. I haven't gotten around to playing yet myself, but it sounds like a solid game, even if it can't live up to Planescape:Torment which, in my opinion, had one of the most memorable stories of any RPG I've ever played. That's something almost impossible to live up to, which may be why a lot of these "rpg revival" games have met with mixed receptions from longtime rpg fans. Personally I've really liked most of them, so I suspect I'll enjoy Torment as well.

Great review Corwin, it mirrored my own experience spot on, both the good and the could have been better parts. Great work.

I'm sorry, but how anyone can find writing good that for a very large portion just describes what you can see with your own eyes on the screen is beyond me.

It did? I never felt the describing text was superfluous, to me it increased immersion by giving details not represented in the visuals (if it was a first person game I would probably have been more inclined to agree with you).

The trouble is, based on all I've read, I think it will be a disappointment to me. My expectations were certainly very/too high, but that's perhaps inescapable when it's touted as the successor to Torment. I was hoping for an RPG that knocked it out of the park, rather than yet another that's kind of fun, but not quite what we'd hoped.

Thanks Corwin - I already bought the game, but I'll wait for a few patches before I start playing.

Thanks for the review but I'm on the game this moment and am scared to read (spoilers! ;)) before I finish it. Probably this weekend as I'm already 32 hours in.

Thanks Corwin - I already bought the game, but I'll wait for a few patches before I start playing.
Unlike WL2 release, this one is polished, I did find a few annoyances but nothing serious or gamebreaking I'd suggest as worth the wait.

Thanks for the review but I'm on the game this moment and am scared to read (spoilers! ;)) before I finish it. Probably this weekend as I'm already 32 hours in.

Unlike WL2 release, this one is polished, I did find a few annoyances but nothing serious or gamebreaking I'd suggest as worth the wait.

The only very light spoilers in the review concern the first hours of the game, so you're probably safe to read it if you've played for that long.

Ah then I'm off to read it. Will return and post is something bugs me. ;)

Thanks Corwin - appreciate your perspective as always!

The main reason: I have still tons of other RPGs to play...

I agree with Corwin's review for the most part. There is replayability here through I do wish for more show and less tell next time. Also employing combat more often to create some tension in our choices would be beneficial.

Back
Top Bottom