Mass Effect Andromeda early impressions and facts

Here is some excellent explanation from former ME1 dev who now works for Naughty Dog…

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1354847

My friend commented on this. First thing he pointed out is that people targeted people who took credit for the animations, if you dont want criticism dont take credit for your work, simple.

Second is that if the demands are higher, you as an employee are expected to keep up with the demands, no ifs and buts.

I would argue that on his second thought that ME:A didnt get enough funding for that level of care and execution and the fault lies with EA.

He wont have none of it though because he thinks Bioware had enough resources available them. I am not sure, Bioware would have saved a ton of money using the DA:I engine for this, what do you guys think?

My friend commented on this. First thing he pointed out is that people targeted people who took credit for the animations, if you dont want criticism dont take credit for your work, simple.

Second is that if the demands are higher, you as an employee are expected to keep up with the demands, no ifs and buts.

I would argue that on his second thought that ME:A didnt get enough funding for that level of care and execution and the fault lies with EA.

He wont have none of it though because he thinks Bioware had enough resources available them. I am not sure, Bioware would have saved a ton of money using the DA:I engine for this, what do you guys think?

I am fine with criticism but threats are not fine since valid criticism are ignored due to threats etc.

I am fine with criticism but threats are not fine since valid criticism are ignored due to threats etc.

This is a very good point. The people that made the death threats have done a great disservice to both Bioware and its fans by making them. Now the chance of Bioware improving their next game is greatly diminished which would fail both the fans and the company since that game should sell worse.

So, I've finally played it for 5+ hours, enough to start forming an opinion. A few things:
- The character creator really does need improvement. I found that the best option to make a decent looking character was to start with the bottom female one (you have to select it before you start going to the other options). That one can look quite decent. However, I tend to play male first, then female, so I am now playing a shabby looking fellow. My twin looks good though.
- The whining about animations are greatly exaggerated. Yes, they're a bit over ambitious in trying to display emotions etc during conversations, and usually it just looks odd, but other than that it's fine.
- I've had no technical issues or bugs. Could be a console thing I guess, as I run the game on a good PC at 2560x1440 and high settings. Looks great. No framerate issues or anything.
- I haven't found a quick save. Is there no quick save? Really? Also, save points only in priority missions? That's just.. wrong.
- The writing has a few cringe worthy moments, but it's hardly the disaster that some make it out to be. In fact, the intro is much better than that disaster of an intro in ME2, where people seem to ignore the fact that the opening 5 hours includes some of the worst writing I've ever seen (nobody reacting to the fact that you're back from the dead, being shoved into Cerberus service, the Alliance being completely inept, the Council being completely inept, etc).
- I'm still excited by the idea of exploring Andromeda. I really hope that continues to be the case.
- I've seen numerous reviews whining about a lack of Quarians, Hanar etc. Those people need to be more thorough. Already during the first Nexus visit, it is explained that they're on their way, but they had some difficulties due to their various biological needs. In other words: They will appear in Andromeda, but in a DLC or the next game. It's not as if they're gone from the series. Not in any way.
- The planet scanning is horrible. It's still not a big problem just yet, because I've only fully explored three systems, but it could very well be an issue later on if there are 40 systems or something.

Anyway, so far, so good. Will be playing some more later on (at work now).

I was able to replicate the screwed up restart bug (the one where you start the game and have multiple stages all going at the same time). Took 5 characters (3 Sara in a row didn't cause it, then I made a Scott) and I deleted entire profile worth of saves in-game of two of them before it happened. I can't say if that happens because the new character took the slot of a deleted one or if it is just a case of preset/background/name all matching and overlapping the profiles.

- The writing has a few cringe worthy moments, but it's hardly the disaster that some make it out to be. In fact, the intro is much better than that disaster of an intro in ME2, where people seem to ignore the fact that the opening 5 hours includes some of the worst writing I've ever seen (nobody reacting to the fact that you're back from the dead, being shoved into Cerberus service, the Alliance being completely inept, the Council being completely inept, etc).

ME3 start was not any better. If you don't play Arrival, you don't even know why you are under arrest outside "the shit you pulled". Then the Alliance higher ups being totally inept…

- I haven't found a quick save. Is there no quick save? Really? Also, save points only in priority missions? That's just.. wrong.

No quick save yet. No save in priority missions if you are in one and tracking it, switch the tracking to a task/side quest to enable the save button. Changing the save mechanism is into consideration for a future patch.

Thanks for the update. Hopefully you will provide further updates. Two questions: How are the kb/m controls and how is the 'fun' factor ?

So, I've finally played it for 5+ hours, enough to start forming an opinion. A few things:
- The character creator really does need improvement. I found that the best option to make a decent looking character was to start with the bottom female one (you have to select it before you start going to the other options). That one can look quite decent. However, I tend to play male first, then female, so I am now playing a shabby looking fellow. My twin looks good though.
- The whining about animations are greatly exaggerated. Yes, they're a bit over ambitious in trying to display emotions etc during conversations, and usually it just looks odd, but other than that it's fine.
- I've had no technical issues or bugs. Could be a console thing I guess, as I run the game on a good PC at 2560x1440 and high settings. Looks great. No framerate issues or anything.
- I'm still excited by the idea of exploring Andromeda. I really hope that continues to be the case.
- I've seen numerous reviews whining about a lack of Quarians, Hanar etc. Those people need to be more thorough. Already during the first Nexus visit, it is explained that they're on their way, but they had some difficulties due to their various biological needs. In other words: They will appear in Andromeda, but in a DLC or the next game. It's not as if they're gone from the series. Not in any way.
- The planet scanning is horrible. It's still not a big problem just yet, because I've only fully explored three systems, but it could very well be an issue later on if there are 40 systems or something.

Anyway, so far, so good. Will be playing some more later on (at work now).

Thanks for the update. Hopefully you will provide further updates. Two questions: How are the kb/m controls and how is the 'fun' factor ?
Not just him will provide…

During combat KB+M is fantastic, in fact so good I'm not even sure if the game is this enjoyable on mushrooms (it is of course playable, but I don't think they can pull out some crazy moves).

In menus, both KB+M and mushrooms will be a pain. Menus are horrible touchscreen phone design. Unbelievably bad. Unfixable with mods like SkyUI, needs complete overhaul.

Fun factor on my side => cannot stop playing the damned game!

Of course some sites are already giving tips and stating their problems with the game. And of course, they speak only for themselves in some points. Here's some stuff in a couple that miss the point IMO.

http://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-mass-effect-andromeda-1793525542
1. Don’t try to do everything at once
2. Prioritize your missions
3. Bring allies you like on missions
4. Upgrade your vehicle
5. Buy Remnant Decryption keys
1. Actually no, do try to do everything at once because it's fun and because you're roleplaying a complete new galaxy. Don't however start as every class at once, concentrate on one.
2. Is this a joke? If you're fastrunner, go for only main missions, if you're explorer do main missions last. Journal already has them sorted so you know which one is a sidecontent.
3. In main and loyalty missions yes, otherwise no. For example, on the outcasts planet bring Jaal otherwise you won't be able to persuade a certain person in wildlands to join the resistance. But that's Kotaku who's reviewer barely made 60% completion.
4. Again yes and no. Some like Improved shield seem bugged. You can try it but save first, if it doesn't budge (check Mako stats after the upgrade), reload. Wait for the patch.
5. Even if you suck at sudoku, there is no point wasting $ on this crap at all, you'll find them during exploration.

http://www.pcgamer.com/mass-effect-multiplayer-loot-boxes-supply-boxes/
Just don't. Even. Bother.

http://www.pcgamer.com/17-tiny-things-that-drive-us-crazy-about-mass-effect-andromeda/
1. Aliens still look like humans
2. There’s no bathroom in the Pathfinder’s quarters
3. Ancient alien tech all looks the same
4. The Sudoku
5. The bigger planets feel empty
1. So what? It's a videogame.
2. Missing is you can't even flush existing ones not to mention actually using one as seen in Sleeping Dogs.
3. Yea well my keyboard looks the same as the one on the opposide side of the planet
4. Imagine that. Aliens loved a minigame you hate. I'm also an alien I guess.
5. I wish they felt emptier, trashmobs do respawn although not at horrible rate like in DA:I

The rest of things said in those articles I have to agree with.

A reviewer complained there is no bathroom in the Pathfinder quarters? There is one like 2 steps from the door near the crew quarters…

I agree with your "I wish the planet felt emptier", doing a few meters in the Nomad and going out all the time because you found can be somewhat annoying. Although, you can out run enemies while in the Nomad too…

As for the puzzle, lazy people can actually have a script to solve most of them. Game websites are also making guides with the solution for the later ones. Or find one Remnant key and save before using it, take a screenshot when the solution show up than reload and enter the solution you screencapped.

you can out run enemies while in the Nomad too…
I do it all the time when it's wildlife. However, enemy bases… Have a reason to clear them at least once per playthrough (open new sidequests!).
The problematic part is these are not marked on the map and you can't possibly know which one you've already cleared as trashmobs respawn back!

As for the puzzle, lazy people can actually have a script to solve most of them. Game websites are also making guides with the solution for the later ones. Or find one Remnant key and save before using it, take a screenshot when the solution show up than reload and enter the solution you screencapped.
IMO not solving it yourself is not fun.
And besides no grindin' XP on trashmobs that spawn when you fail. ;)

A question azarhal, did you stumble upon an architect already? Man… I had to reload.
I've managed to nail three ascended kett bosses without a problem in kett shielded bases and on Angara rescue main mission, but this construct seems impossible. Well… Maybe I tried to kill it too early.

Last edited:
1) As joxer already pointed out, kb/m works just fine in combat. Menus are a bit painful. I recommend taking the time to learn the esc for back and space for selecting hotkeys fast, so the kb can be used for navigation instead of traditional clicking.
2) Not sure yet. It seems alright, combat is good, but I need to do more exploration, as that's what most of the game consists of by all accounts.

A question azarhal, did you stumble upon an architect already? Man… I had to reload.
I've managed to nail three ascended kett bosses without a problem in kett shielded bases and on Angara rescue main mission, but this construct seems impossible. Well… Maybe I tried to kill it too early.

Nope, not yet…I kept restarting to try out abilities and dialogue choices :p and to deal with the restart bug I cleared all my saves (just to be sure). From what I've read, they have an insane amount of HP and can one shot you through cover (but then I saw Cora Charge-smash cover so…).

By the way, clearing the save folder cleared my custom settings (WTF the config file is doing there I have no idea), but that made me play with the graphic settings (and read about it) and I got an even prettier game now. I also suspect the Nexus is limit on console in term of memory and a bunch of graphical features are disabled there.

Geez man, don't restart! Forget possible "wrong" choices, play it as it is. Use new game plus for corrections. I mean, I plan to do that, for example I'm flirting with everyone now, in NG+ I'll choose exactly who to date. If.

About NG+:
https://fenixbazaar.com/2017/03/22/mass-effect-andromeda-new-game-plus-heres-what-carries-over/
Here’s what carries over when you start New Game+ in Mass Effect: Andromeda:
Levels and all Skill Points
Powers
Any non-mission items you have attained, excluding any attained during special quests
All Research Data
Credits

Here’s what is reset:
Special mission items
All mission progression
All narrative choices
All Cryo Pod Perks
Codex Entries

Spot that credits will carry over which means don't sell weapons and armor in stores - dissasemble those into materials instead.

That architect though…

Geez man, don't restart! Forget possible "wrong" choices, play it as it is. Use new game plus for corrections. I mean, I plan to do that, for example I'm flirting with everyone now, in NG+ I'll choose exactly who to date. If.

It's not about wrong choices. I'm just looking at how the tones sound and if I prefer Scott or Sara. The voice is a huge factor in my enjoyment of a game when there is a voiced protag and I can pick the gender.

Also, official bug tracking forum for MEA and general forum.

Been playing these for last few days, whole thing really all over the place. Combat is overall better, though it has issues in certain areas ( dead zones targetting, melee, AI, cover…) but when it flows, boy o boy does it feel good…jetpack is a great addition.
Also great "progression" here, closer to different "load outs" than classical rpg systems…but it fits well into the game, more fun and rewarding to experiment.
By a mile best gameplay and variety of playstyles , in the series or even in whole Arpg genre.
Next to first Mass Effect though, the world is very underwhelming…none of that sense of wonder ( like seeing the Citadel for the first time) ..only two new species ( both disappointing) and even Milky way boys have been…reduced( far lower amount of different models, Krogan turning "gay", etc).
Dialogue: not as bad as some make it, ( most of the time), but not good either…too much blunt exposition and sometimes jarringly bad writing. Worse cinematic direction than any in the series, outright bizarre scenes and animations, don't help things either.
Open world: only slightly better than Inquisition, too empty with too many fetch quests and damn sudoku vault puzzles.
S.A.M…completely bland or annoying at times, really a wasted opportunity. Imagine if instead we had banter with something like ME II E.D.I.
Male Ryder is bland, but Sara is really great…best protagonist in the series.
Companions, roughly on same level as III…better than I, worse than II. Like Cora, the Doc, Vectra the most.
Music is fine, but a bit "characterless" next to previous ME's…can be distracting at certain segments, too much Star Wars reminds at times.
Ton of crafting options though the whole system is painfully convoluted.
Love, love, love the galaxy map and first person exploring, even with scanning a major pain in the ass.
Story? This describes it best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-OPNTuVBS8

Lacks consistency and focus, overall.

Occasional not too severe issues with glitches( save system is idiotic though).
Overall…hugely divisive game people will either love or hate ( more than even DA II…well, that one is mostly hate :p) .
Imo, critics were a bit too harsh here, plenty of rough edges and questionable design decisions, but well above anything post ME II from Bioware.

ME3 start was not any better. If you don't play Arrival, you don't even know why you are under arrest outside "the shit you pulled". Then the Alliance higher ups being totally inept…

Tell me about it. I was totally like "wtf is going on?". Arrival was really crucial to story and should have included as part of ME3, not ME2 DLC.

I'm starting to get more interested in ME:A after reading Watch impressions. Definitely will pick it up once its on sale :D All I am after is something similar to ME2 experience.

Tried the MP.
Wow.
They really made it mandatory to buy weapon packs now even at Bronze level.
I don't remember it being this hard in ME3.

Starting with crappy Avenger AR I and Predator I Pistol, I can see everyone struggling to kill anything. The difficulty curve is pr. crap.

Yes, I can see that being a problem. I haven't tried MP, but in the campaign it's fairly clear that most weapons hit like a wet noodle. Having the right weapon makes a huge difference.

Finally got this going over the weekend (yeah free time). I did most of Eos and Harvald now and talked a lot to people. I'm currently liking this game a lot more than I did DAI.

Currently running:
charge, backlash, Omni-grenades (Vanguard profile)
shotgun with heat seeking bullets (basically remove the shotgun bullet spread lol)
Krogan hammer (I love this!!!!)

My tactics is: charge and smash and then retreat to cover while reflecting bullets.

Back
Top Bottom