Kingmaker - Announced

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
Pathfinder: Kingmaker has been revealed as the mystery game being developed by Owlcat Games with narrative design by Chris Avellone.

Explore, Conquer, Rule!

Journey to the Stolen Lands

Welcome to the Stolen Lands, contested territory for centuries. Defend yourself against the threats of wilderness and rival kingdoms as you explore a world rich with history, magic, and conflict.

Companion Focused Story

Experience the adventure alongside living and breathing companions, each with deep stories and decisions of their own. Love them, adore them or hate them for who they are.

Character development

Customize your character and companions with a multitude of options available in Pathfinder to make the perfect party capable of overcoming insurmountable challenges.

Kingdom

Establish your kingdom in Stolen Lands, claim new territories, and build towns and cities. Be a wise ruler or a heavy-handed tyrant.

[...]
More information.

While I am not a Pathfinder fan per se, this does look interesting. Especially this bit:

...claim new territories, and build towns and cities.

Would be cool if it had some depth in this area to accompany the RPG side of the game. Maybe an RPG with a bit of lite 4x thrown in?

... though I'm probably over-reaching in those hopes.

While I am not a Pathfinder fan per se, this does look interesting. Especially this bit:

Would be cool if it had some depth in this area to accompany the RPG side of the game. Maybe an RPG with a bit of lite 4x thrown in?

… though I'm probably over-reaching in those hopes.
The original module has you build up your city with available resources you claim by adventuring and then rule over it while following the main story.
The gameplay itself is sandbox and lets you make many choices around alliances or killing.

Sounds interesting, but is it just me or do other people also get slowly tired of Chris Avellone getting used as poster boy for isometric RPGs?

Sounds interesting, but is it just me or do other people also get slowly tired of Chris Avellone getting used as poster boy for isometric RPGs?

I've been tired of it since Planescape.

I mean, I recognise his talent for writing a certain style of prose - but I think his stuff absolutely pales in comparison to the best in the genre, and the amount of great games he's been involved with are extremely few in number, to my mind.

No. MCA could be the poster boy for a phone book - I'd buy it in an instant.

The original module has you build up your city with available resources you claim by adventuring and then rule over it while following the main story.
The gameplay itself is sandbox and lets you make many choices around alliances or killing.

That sounds cool actually. I played the Pathfinder board game version which had none of that though - just adventuring.

Sounds like they are copying that old game Birthright the Gorgon's Alliance. Very ambitious game but when you try and do too many features you often fail.

It's RTwP so it might as well be SCL 2. No buy.

Finally some PF rpg, although not by a well known rpg studios.

It is still better than nothing.

All of Chris' characters seem like mental ward escapees so this does nothing for me. Well, Chris also sounds like a mental ward escapee, so I guess it makes sense ;)

I guess he can't get a job for a real studio anymore; can't fall much further than a group that has never published anything on their own. Their taglines all say things like "we barely worked on title A, or we were slightly associated with company B, etc.

Yeah, that was my reaction as well. Looking at their list of previously developed titles doesn't exactly inspire confidence.
Rage of Mages and Silent Storm are both classics.

lol. Yep, they use this guy's name as if the mere mention of it will mean RPG Gold, its so silly… I guess he has a lot of fanboys or something. Meh, for me it has become a negative from an advertising standpoint, speaking as a potential customer of these games… It's like, this guy again? *Groan*

Great I'm really looking forward to see more of this game. I just hope that Tyranny "failure" doesn't dissuade other developers from making these kind of games.

If by "classics" you mean really old, sure. ;)

It doesn't appear that these guys have developed anything but MMOs since 2006.
Look, it cannot be worse than SCL :D
Anything better than SCL is good :D

Back
Top Bottom