Last game(s) you bought

Got mankind divided at the start of the steam sales. I only played up to entering the interpol headquarters as I got sidetracked by caveblazers.

Graphically I was a bit underwhelmed. Especially in Dubai with the views in the distance, Prague was already a bit better. I remember human revolution to have better graphics (probably nostalgy already kicking in…). It''s strange as, after googling, MD is suppposed to be quite strong in the graphics department (reflected in the system requirements).

Mankind Divided looks significantly better than HR, so yeah.. it's either nostalgia or just the fact that you're running it on low settings.

In addition, there is a delay between input and the actual movement that I didn't have with HR, which makes it seem my pc is not able to handle it (but I don't think so, as I still have it with everything on low). Furthermore, I sometimes have black flickering over the whole screen which apparently is a problem of ATI cards, reloading or restarting the game fixes it. I should have gotten a NVIDIA, but ATI is so much cheaper.

I never experienced either of those issues, but I have a pretty strong system. What are your specs?

I agree, Mankind Divided looks MUCH better than HR and I thought it was very attractive personally.

Picked up Angry Video Game Nerd II and Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition on Steam and got Shadowrun: Dragonfall here at the watch. Not a bad Christmas at all!!!

During the steam sale, I bought Splinter Cell: Blacklist, and Dead Space 2.

I had always really liked the original Splinter Cell and Chaos Theory, they were some of my favorite games back in the day. I read that Blacklist is a pretty good version of Splinter Cell, that was unfairly maligned, just because they broadened the play style to not only focus on stealth, but also run and gun game play as an alternative way to play it too.

I also was a huge fan of the original Dead Space, and seeing how cheap Dead Space 2 was, decided to pick it up. I'm probably going to replay Dead Space 1 first, and then play Dead Space 2 right after, to keep the story fresh in my mind.

I also was a huge fan of the original Dead Space, and seeing how cheap Dead Space 2 was, decided to pick it up. I'm probably going to replay Dead Space 1 first, and then play Dead Space 2 right after, to keep the story fresh in my mind.

Incredible games if you enjoy sci-fi horror. I'm surprised you waited so long to play DS2. :)

Let me know what you think of #3?I thought it was better than most folks…. to me it seemed the best from an rpg perspective.

I enjoyed 3 for quite a while. I didn't finish but that is often the case….

I bought several indie survival games but I'm sticking with The Long Dark. Very fun game. I'm a sucker for hidden stuff and there are hidden cairns (155!) to find on the various maps. Story mode is a little bit samey, but only 2 of 5 chapters are done anyway, so it can't be truly finished yet. However, each chapter has an acceptable ending too.

I never experienced either of those issues, but I have a pretty strong system. What are your specs?
I have an ATI R280 (no X) with a 2 year old i5, but I did some experimenting and it is a combination of using a gamepad (steam controller; I changed the config which improved it a bit) and not reaching a steady 60 fps. In any case, it is minor and it plays well now after getting used to it.

The graphics look good now as well (I play on high), there was just those views in the distance in Dubai which were just awful (palm trees and neighboring buildings). I'm likely to be biased by the witcher 3 which I just finished, which looked great and was very fluid on my system.

Edit: and the black flickering is an ATI problem with MD. Luckily I only had it two times so far.

Bought Planescape torment. Never played it

Still on my play level still too. But I don’t play pure shooters much anymore.

Dead Space is known more for the intensity of its atmosphere than shooting things.

Well, at least the first 2 games are. Just pretend DS3 doesn't even exist if you ever get around to playing the series.

I got the first two Dead Space games on some super cheapo sale, maybe it was like five bones for both? Played both and enjoyed them, certainly got my moneys' worth, that's for certain.

Unmechanical and Long Journey Home.

So far, I think it's pretty good. Certainly one of the best VR implementations I've tried - and I don't get motion sickness, which has been a problem in some of the other VR games.

But it's also a little familiar in terms of the sandbox grind aspects. I'm not a fan of the modern sandbox grinder - where you have to spend an inordinate amount of time gathering basic materials so you can build basic tools so you can gather normal materials so you can build normal tools so you can……

But it's pretty and seems to have a lot going for it in terms of exploration.

I bought it because it's set under water - and I wanted to experience that in VR. For that it certainly works. Very spooky at night, too. Day/night cycle seems way too short, though - and I haven't found a way to tweak that yet.

I will have to see if I can stomach the sandbox grind and if there's some actual content beyond working towards more work :)

Day/night cycle seems way too short, though - and I haven't found a way to tweak that yet.

Ah that's disappointing. I don't get why so many games seem to suffer from that. With the exception of PB titles, the day/night cycle seems too short to me in almost every game that implements it.

Ah that's disappointing. I don't get why so many games seem to suffer from that. With the exception of PB titles, the day/night cycle seems too short to me in almost every game that implements it.

Agreed. In Subnautica, it's something like 10-15 minutes - which is really bad.

However, I hear people saying that the deeper levels are dark regardless of time of day (which makes sense), so maybe it's not as big a deal when it all comes down to it.

I always look for a tweak for that sort of thing.

For instance, I never play Skyrim or Fallout 4 without tweaking the cycle factor to something like 1/6th of real-time.

I bought Realms of Arcania: Star Trail on a whim. I'm not sure how or why, but a 50% off voucher appeared in my Steam inventory and it sounded like my kind of thing (loads of spells, turn based isometric combat etc.) Seems to have decent reviews on Steam as well. Has anyone played it - any thoughts?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom