|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?

Default What games are you playing now?

June 3rd, 2018, 16:49
I'm pretty sure it isn't, probably because it wasn't part of the Genesis pact. If I remember right, it actually came out for the mega system back in the day. I keep hoping some version of Phantasy Star the first will make its way to the computers, but if it has, I've not yet found it.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)

June 3rd, 2018, 23:20
There aren't many ways to play Phantasy Star 1 outside of an emulator. Other than the original Sega Master System release, it was part of the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for the PS3 and Xbox 360 as an unlockable hidden game. It was also a downloadable title for the Wii's Virtual Console.

My advice is to just play it on an emulator, or better yet, play the Playstation 2 remake via emulator. You have to add an English translation patch to the latter unless you understand Japanese, but it's a simple process.

*Edit* Forgot to mention, there's also a remake and translation patch for Phantasy Star II as well.
Last edited by JDR13; June 3rd, 2018 at 23:35.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)

June 4th, 2018, 13:50
What mushrooms you suggest to pair with nintendo emulators?
How much $ is that?
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)

June 4th, 2018, 17:24
I simply won't do that to my computer, I'll just hope to see it available someday. After I finish Phantasy Star the second, I think I'm pretty likely to go on and replay the third and fourth games again as well. I find these games far superior to most of the new stuff that is coming out these days.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

June 4th, 2018, 21:02
Do what to your computer?

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

June 4th, 2018, 21:35
The proper emulators are nice, clean, open-source programs. There's some dodgy sites around emulation where you might catch cooties, but the proper stuff is nothing to worry about.
--
"Orwell was almost exactly wrong in a strange way. He thought the world would end with Big Brother watching us, but it ended with us watching Big Brother." Alan Moore

Ripper

Ngikufisela iwela

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)

June 4th, 2018, 23:23
Been a bit down lately, so I've been trying several games, none of which are sticking.
Examples:
Crashlands: Dull as sawdust; not certain why it gets such a good rating.
Don't Starve: Less dull; nice aesthetic; slightly annoying gameplay. I'll probably return to it some day.
Risen 2: I liked Risen 1, barring the last 25% or so, so this def has potential. I decided to shelve it and come back to it when my mood won't ruin things.

What am I actually playing? Elder Scrolls Online. I gave up on this the first time at about 19th level through boredom, and I've started up again, continuing the same character (Nord Dragon Knight or something). I'm investigating the tedium of Blacksmithing. Click click, create, click, click, dismantle, click click.
--
Proud leader of the Shit Games Liberation Front
All your shit games are belong to us

Shagnak

SGLF Founder

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
+1:

June 5th, 2018, 00:34
Risen One was the best of the series for me, the second Risen is almost as good. The third, however, I didn't care for. I'd give Risen two a shot if you're looking for something fun and involved to play.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

June 5th, 2018, 01:12
Play Dragon Knight Saga. Played it once before in 2012 (had an old save on my disk). To be honest I remember almost nothing about broken valley - i did remember the starter area and I know i remember later parts but i'm amazed how little i remember of the middle. However, it is a lot of fun - surprise that steam reviews are so low. Guess I just like games no one else like.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

June 5th, 2018, 01:56
I've been playing a little of Zavix Tower. It's an incredibly simplistic, randomly generated dungeon crawler w/ grid-based movement and turn-based combat. While it's endearing for a little while, its simplicity combined with lack of saving (it's kind of a rogue-like, but not really), has me wanting to simply replay wizardry or the more recent Starcrawlers.

Still, look into it if you're a fan of blobbers.

Drithius

Laughing Gnome

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

June 5th, 2018, 02:50
Another weekend of Summerset. POE 2 is getting the shaft.

Thrasher

Wheeee!

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

June 5th, 2018, 03:03

A warning though - that shaft won't be grinding indefinetly in Eternity2.

Me? I'm chillin' and not playing anything 'xcept wasting time on milking phonegames. TW3 nostalgia kicked in and I can't find any game with similar swordfight coreography. Yet.

--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 118 Post(s)

June 5th, 2018, 03:03
Originally Posted by you View Post
Play Dragon Knight Saga. Played it once before in 2012 (had an old save on my disk). To be honest I remember almost nothing about broken valley - i did remember the starter area and I know i remember later parts but i'm amazed how little i remember of the middle. However, it is a lot of fun - surprise that steam reviews are so low. Guess I just like games no one else like.
To me it was pretty meh in…everything. From what I've played, very similar to classic "eurojank" rpg, but without that charm.

Anyways, just started Dead Space I, again. Hard to believe it's from 2008 , this has got be one of The best it-has-aged-well games (thanks to terrific lighting and sound design).
--
Rush in and die, dogs…I was a man before I was a king.

BoboTheMighty

SasqWatch

+1:

June 5th, 2018, 03:08
I'll pm you the shaft I was referring to. Or… maybe not.

Thrasher

Wheeee!

+1:

June 5th, 2018, 03:19
Seems Vampyr was unlocked earlier than expected, so I jumped in for a bit. So far I'm loving what I'm seeing.

Graphically it looks pretty good, to great sometimes. I also love the music, Atmosphere is also great.

The combat system is also surprisingly complex, but I'm still at the beginning. But it seems to have quite a few systems interacting, especially when it comes to upgrading your weapons/tools/abilities. But I'm not expecting God of War level of combat. It's just not that type of game, and the combat system is purely serviceable.

But these are still minor points in Vampyr. The highlight is sure to be the social systems that will come into play later. I haven't reached them yet, but I'm excited. But from what I hear those systems are great. Writing is pretty good so far.

Other issues I'm encountering, is kind of clunky controls when outside of combat. Especially at the beginning. But I kind of learned to work around its quirks.

Anyways, will report back after some more time spent in it.

danutz_plusplus

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

June 5th, 2018, 03:38
Originally Posted by BoboTheMighty View Post
To me it was pretty meh in…everything. From what I've played, very similar to classic "eurojank" rpg, but without that charm.

Anyways, just started Dead Space I, again. Hard to believe it's from 2008 , this has got be one of The best it-has-aged-well games (thanks to terrific lighting and sound design).
Couldn't disagree more about Dragon Knight Saga. That game has one of the best soundtracks I've ever heard. The rest of the game wasn't bad either.

I doubt Dead Space will ever grow old for me. I've played through it 3 times and have been thinking of another run through it and DS2 soon.

Originally Posted by danutz_plusplus View Post
Seems Vampyr was unlocked earlier than expected, so I jumped in for a bit. So far I'm loving what I'm seeing.

Graphically it looks pretty good, to great sometimes. I also love the music, Atmosphere is also great.
Good to hear. I was looking forward to playing it right away, but my schedule isn't going to allow me to start it until later in the week.

JDR13

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor

June 5th, 2018, 04:15
I played Zavix Tower for about two weeks last year, it was pretty entertaining. I agree with the classic game vibe, it has that in spades, and I'm sure that is the main reason I kept playing it.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

June 5th, 2018, 11:09
With all this Vampyr craze, all screaming CYOA.
This gave me an idea, and started playing Joe Dever's Lone Wolf on Switch.
Halfway through the story, great cheesy fun so far.

duerer

Sentinel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

June 5th, 2018, 14:18
Yea I remember playing 1/3 of the Lone wolf on a tablet; never finished because I only used the tablet when flying and i stopped using it - one of these days I should finish the game if for no reason to see how the story evolves

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)

June 5th, 2018, 17:35
Originally Posted by you View Post
to see how the story evolves
Lemme guess… bad guy dies at the end?

After all these recent games failing big at serious narrative (Pillars, I'm looking at you), it is sooo refreshing to play something so simple. Ahhh, the straightforward 80's fantasy.
Maybe I'll even start reading Feist's Magician books again!

duerer

Sentinel

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » General Forums » Off-Topic » What games are you playing now?