What games are you playing now?

I'm kind of surprised you think that highly of SOMA being that you're a big gameplay over story guy. I'm not sure if you would like > observer_ as much though. A lot of it would probably boil down to the setting/world, and I know that you're particularly fond of underwater environments.

Fwiw, I think most people would rate >observer_ higher than what I currently do. It has a 78 and 7.8 average from critics and users on Metacritic. There's no way I'm scoring it that high unless something spectacular happens between where I'm at now and the end.

I'm kind of surprised you think that highly of SOMA being that you're a big gameplay over story guy. I'm not sure if you would like > observer_ as much though. A lot of it would probably boil down to the setting/world, and I know that you're particularly fond of underwater environments.

To me, exploration and immersion are a very big part of the gameplay experience - and I adored those aspects in SOMA. It was essentially System Shock without the combat to me.

But you're right that the setting is very important to me. I do like Cyberpunk - but not as much as "traditional" sci-fi horror settings.

Anyway, thanks for the impressions.

I really liked the look of SOMA for the ten minutes or do I played it, but sadly my pc was struggling with it a bit too much. It joins the list of games I'm going to play when I finally upgrade my pc (whenever that might happen…:rolleyes:). The list includes Prey, Kingdom Come Deliverance, the new Deus Ex, the Witcher 3, and many others!

Hard to believe that - you are not playing Subnautica.

Oh, I have been playing Subnautica. It's quite fantastic in VR, actually :)

But it's a little hard to accomplish where I'm living now - and I really want the full VR experience.

Yea right. That "game" is a joke.
But then again, "immersion" in games, whatever it's supposed to be, is something I don't care about at all. No wonder I find a diving sim boring.

Yea right. That "game" is a joke.
But then again, "immersion" in games, whatever it's supposed to be, is something I don't care about at all. No wonder I find a diving sim boring.

Cool, we all like different things :)

Yup, btw here's another. Although not written by me as I'm not playing mmo junk, the point is obvious:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/fortnite/fortnite-keyboard-and-mouse

Epic’s changing Fortnite matchmaking to save console players from keyboard and mouse

There are platform wars, then there are things that are just universally true. Like the fact that keyboard and mouse controls give you a competitive advantage in shooters. That’s just as true in Fortnite, and since the console versions officially support mice a predominantly controller-based segment of players occasionally getting smoked by mouse users. It’s a problem so pervasive that Epic is altering its approach to matchmaking.
“We're actually working on some matchmaking tech,” an Epic rep says “that'll pair you against folks based on your choice of peripherals.”

Now that Midyear Mayhem is over on ESO, I am still playing overland PvP in Cyrodiil until at least the current eval period is over. Enjoying the social aspects of playing with friends over Teamspeak, so I may stick with it longer, and try some other PvP builds. The performance problems are much reduced now that the massive player zergs are gone because of the event ending. Performance problems is what caused me to quit PvP before.

Now that Midyear Mayhem is over on ESO, I am still playing overland PvP in Cyrodiil until at least the current eval period is over. Enjoying the social aspects of playing with friends over Teamspeak, so I may stick with it longer, and try some other PvP builds. The performance problems are much reduced now that the massive player zergs are gone because of the event ending. Performance problems is what caused me to quit PvP before.

This why I hate pvp of late in mmorpgs - when organised groups on TS or Discord stamps over PUGs for lols.

It's a more social thing than a competitive thing for me.
I believe and nothing personal, because i bet it's great fun to play with friends, though its absolutely no fun if you are alone with clueless pug against organized group.

When the group isn't available I sometimes zerg surf with pugs (but usually not grouping), but it's more fun with an organized group with a good leader and thoughtful group tactics. It's what the large overland Cyrodiil PvP is best suited for, rather than disorganized zergs. Try it out with a guild. It can be very fun!

Starting Battle Brothers for the first time. No clue if it is any good; was playing Star Traders frontier. Found it kind of dry, boring and very simplisitic; undecided if i will give it another try.

So, now that the heat has settled down a bit - and I can sit in front of my monitor without sweating like a pig - I'm going to try gaming a little again :)

After watching the making-of documentary about Kingdom Come Deliverance - I'm convinced it has a very good chance of being worth playing, even with the quirks and oddities I found last time.

I had no idea the lead guy was the same dude that was largely responsible for Mafia - and apparently he also played a big part in Hidden and Dangerous, which is another one of my all-time favorite games.

Beyond that, I heard him talking about his position on game design - and it falls very much in line with the kind of thing I like. I found it ESPECIALLY refreshing that he deliberately made sure combat would be a rare, but significant event in the game.

That's something I've been waiting for - forever - in CRPGs.

Immersion is definitely "up there" - and the game mechanics look interesting. Not a huge fan of the medieval realism thing - but if exploration is strong and the story is interesting, this could be quite the thing.

Wow. Had a little break from work, so I played A LOT of games in parallel.

Vampyr: about 5 hours in the game, so far so good. A pleasant surprise.

Finished The Way: a fun indie adventure/platformer, with awesome pixel art, Amiga music and brutally uneven gameplay. If you must, play the Remastered version, it is much much better (but still frustrates).

Transistor: a long overdue game to play. Style over substance, I'd say. It has its moments, but I'm more annoyed than having genuine fun.

Skyrim: because why not, that's why.

Picross: this is my daily morning exercise.

Unavowed: just started, too early to tell any meaningful.

Hero-U: hmmm, 50% cry, 50% joy so far. Trying to figure out what's my problem with this game.

Pillars II: boy, how I hate this game, it's unbelievable. In fact, I'm not really enjoying these recent olde-skoole RPG revival games at all (Divinity:OS, Pillars, etc).
It's like visiting a Jethro Tull concert in 2018: polite interest at the beginning, but has the feeling that those days are over once and for all.

Magic Candle series: blast from the past. Yea, they ain't make'em like this anymore. (Currently playing: Bloodstone)

Shadow of the Colossus (PS4): for some reason, this one is hypnotic.

God of War (PS4): like the Avengers movie. Beautiful, familiar, accessible, high production values, but still a high budget turd. Destined to be a classic.

Finished Mario Odyssey 100%: what the Western developers do NOT understand about making games (see above), Nintendo does it with without a fault.

… and that's about it.

Back
Top Bottom