What Gender do you play? - Page 2 - RPGWatch Forums
|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Polls & Comments » What Gender do you play?

View Poll Results - What gender do you prefer to play in an RPG?

I prefer to play as a male 13 22.41%
I prefer to play as a female 7 12.07%
I enjoy playing as both a male and a female 37 63.79%
I strongly dislike being forced to play a gender I don't enjoy playing 1 1.72%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Default What Gender do you play?

February 21st, 2020, 16:01
Originally Posted by Zogar Sag View Post
PS
When reading similar discussions on other forums (especially MMO ones, where most males play female characters) I found it interesting that female players dont like to play as males! Hmm I wonder why?
Sure they do, usually it's to escape pixel flirting.
Drithius is offline

Drithius

Drithius's Avatar
Laughing Gnome

#21

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Florida, USA
Posts: 4,919
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)

Default 

February 21st, 2020, 16:07
Originally Posted by Drithius View Post
Sure they do, usually it's to escape pixel flirting.
I get that, but they say they play mostly female characters also in single player games and males if only forced to, like Witcher. Do they dislike our gender that much or it is something different?
Zogar Sag is offline

Zogar Sag

Zogar Sag's Avatar
Watchdog

#22

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

February 21st, 2020, 16:17
Well, maybe it is not that different for men and women.
Looking at the answers here many say the first time at least they play as a male.

Or maybe because you do not often get the chance of playing as a female? (I am not familiar with the situation in MMO though).

Or maybe male characters often look like fight robots that are completely out of proportion. The women I know don’t like that.

Edit.
And about the Witcher. Geralt is not that nice to look at… I did not like his behavior too, the way he treated women. (Played Witcher 1.) Don’t ask me for details because that has been a long time ago.
--
1. It's not what you say - it is the way you say it.
Lovely 2 minute video: 'Change your words, change your world'

2. Getting a YouTube video loaded and other BB codes, see this post
Last edited by Eye; February 21st, 2020 at 16:27.
Eye is offline

Eye

Eye's Avatar
Eye Watch
Super Moderator

#23

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Europe
Posts: 2,322
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)

Default 

February 21st, 2020, 16:28
Originally Posted by TomRon View Post
Now that you mention it, I said "close to" human for a reason. Like a Half-elf. I'll never play a "pure" human. Humans are boring. And Paladins? Yep, those too, booooring. (I'll usually go Rogueish but that's another discussion).
My nickname is based on having to pick a username on battle.net when I played diablo 2.

I had made a Paladin character so found the name Pladio

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Pladio is offline

Pladio

Pladio's Avatar
Guardian of Nonsense
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

#24

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Manchester, United Kingdom
Posts: 6,422
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Pladio
+1:

Default 

February 21st, 2020, 16:36
Originally Posted by Eye View Post
Edit.
And about the Witcher. Geralt is not that nice to look at… I did not like his behavior too, the way he treated women. (Played Witcher 1.) Don’t ask me for details because that has been a long time ago.
Yeah that is the worst aspect of that game to me. I get that he is supposed to be some kind of Casanova and that some women are falling for him because of his reputation, but when they decided to add those cards in the game it was too much. I even followed a guide to make sure I don't miss anything and those were listed as collectibles. Really disrespectful. I'm glad they removed those in later games and toned down the number of women you can have sex with.
Ivanwah is offline

Ivanwah

Keeper of the Watch

#25

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 674
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

February 21st, 2020, 17:03
Originally Posted by Eye View Post
Well, maybe it is not that different for men and women.
Looking at the answers here many say the first time at least they play as a male.

Or maybe because you do not often get the chance of playing as a female? (I am not familiar with the situation in MMO though).

Or maybe male characters often look like fight robots that are completely out of proportion. The women I know don’t like that.

Edit.
And about the Witcher. Geralt is not that nice to look at… I did not like his behavior too, the way he treated women. (Played Witcher 1.) Don’t ask me for details because that has been a long time ago.
I see the point - when I think now I would probably never play female characters as Aerie from BG2 or lets say not atractive ones as that girl from Mass Effect Andromeda.
Seems like we, males, are spoiled by female beauty and badasseness in our videogames
Zogar Sag is offline

Zogar Sag

Zogar Sag's Avatar
Watchdog

#26

Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 236
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

Default 

February 21st, 2020, 17:20
Depends on a few things, but I usually lean towards female.

Firstly and most importantly, if I'm playing a game for 30 hours+ I want to look at the most attractive thing I can whilst doing so. So seeing a curvy wench wiggle her behind at me for that period is far more preferable to seeing some random dude strut his stuff. So if it's a 3rd person perspective game female looks favourite.

Secondly I also like watching lesbian sex, and everything which leads up to that, too. So If there are lesbian romance options then that adds to the female choice.

Thirdly ever since being a kid I thrived on Golden Axe, and used to pause & knock one out over Tyris Flare's arse as a hormone fuelled 12/13 year old. So I like the idea that some of these RPG's (e.g. Divinity 2:TDKS) are the continuation of her adventures.

And finally the missus is a redhead, so it raises a smile with her when I create Tyris or similar as a redheaded wench.

The prerequisite for me to play male is 1) 1st person perspective, 2) no lesbian romances, & only same sex romances available.

Fallout 3's the type of game I'll play as a male. But it's an exception, not the rule.
--
“All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a Thousand Enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.”
Falksi is offline

Falksi

Falksi's Avatar
Sentinel

#27

Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 376
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)

Default 

February 21st, 2020, 17:30
Originally Posted by Ivanwah View Post
Yeah that is the worst aspect of that game to me. I get that he is supposed to be some kind of Casanova and that some women are falling for him because of his reputation, but when they decided to add those cards in the game it was too much. I even followed a guide to make sure I don't miss anything and those were listed as collectibles. Really disrespectful. I'm glad they removed those in later games and toned down the number of women you can have sex with.
They grew up, as most of us do. By the third game (and really the second), they had disposed of that sophmoric content. At this point, their female characters are some of the best in the business.
JFarrell71 is offline

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

#28

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 669
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Default 

February 21st, 2020, 17:32
Ogling your female avatar is pretty weird. I know there were people who were turned on by Lara Croft's triangle butt 20+ years ago, but I don't know how or why.
JFarrell71 is offline

JFarrell71

Keeper of the Watch

#29

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 669
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)

Default 

February 21st, 2020, 17:39
I voted "both". The details are more complicated, of course.

If all things are qual, I'm more likely to choose a male character.

If I can't choose at all, I'm perfectly fine with either male or female characters, for example, in Kings Bounty Armored Princess. Or The Witcher. And hundreds of other games.

If I can choose, may choice may depend on class, setting/lore, race, etc.

Sometimes it may just be looks. For instance, if I don't like the male or female hair styles I'll choose the other gender (I'm sure @joxer will approve ).

If I actually have to select multiple characters (such as in Icewind Dale), I'll usually end up with a balanced party. The exception is when my min-maxing-obsession kicks in, and gender somehow limits class choice.
Cacheperl is offline

Cacheperl

Cacheperl's Avatar
SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor

#30

Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1,978
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

February 21st, 2020, 18:04
I've voted for I only play female but if a game doesn't have the choice then I'll happily play as male. For a team I would tend to balance out the genders. I think it also depends on how I view the character, whether she is me, or a separate entity.
Qayto is offline

Qayto

Watcher
RPGWatch Donor

#31

Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Midlands UK
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)

Default 

February 21st, 2020, 19:37
Since my more modern gaming (after kids) got in on FPS first before jumping back to RPG, I mostly didn’t have a choice … and when I did usually started as male Paladin type (boring, whatever )

When I really started playing as a female was for game reviews, and I found it to be the quickest way to find all of the flaws in writing and editing, because most games seemed to be written first for male protagonists, also tested that way, then the female stuff was ‘tacked on’. Some games did it well, but most were awkward at best - and more than once I found things that were of a sexually suggestive nature that made no sense coming from a female character but were simply a male line with gender swapped. Of course there were also plenty of times where the gender references were all over the place.

Now things are better … but my first play tends to be ‘female sorcerer’.
--
-- Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch
Moderator

#32

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 14,439
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

February 21st, 2020, 19:54
I always play as male if that is possible. I am male so it feels natural to do so. There is a "but" - I will play female or anything else if that is the only choice. I have tried playing female in some games like Mass Effect and I find I usually give up after a while.
SleepingDog is offline

SleepingDog

Watchdog

#33

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)

Default 

February 22nd, 2020, 00:33
When the option is available, I always play as a male/dude. However, I will play female if that's the only option, it won't stop me from trying a game out.
Carnifex is offline

Carnifex

SasqWatch

#34

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ormond Beach, FL.
Posts: 10,757
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)

Default 

February 22nd, 2020, 01:24
I mostly play male, but don't mind playing female for a change. I have changed gender mid game and restarted as it just doesn't feel right with a guy coming on to me.
skally_wag is offline

skally_wag

skally_wag's Avatar
Sentinel

#35

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default 

February 22nd, 2020, 03:55
Back in the 90's I actually started a thing where I would do a game male, then the next game female, then male, and on and on. I eventually got tired of it and MMO's made it too confusing anyway, so now I just play whichever sounds like the most fun at the time.

Originally Posted by skally_wag View Post
I have changed gender mid game and restarted as it just doesn't feel right with a guy coming on to me.
So you didn't "ride the bull" in Dragon Age 3?? Awwwww. "I believe we may have blinded poor Cullen."
--
The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common: instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views….
-- Doctor Who in "Face of Evil"
Zloth is offline

Zloth

Zloth's Avatar
I smell a… wumpus!?
RPGWatch Donor

#36

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 6,864
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)

Default 

February 22nd, 2020, 09:39
My approach is this: If it's a third-person camera, and you have to spend 40 hours looking at the main character's backside, you may as well make it a backside worth looking at.
--
Check out Himeko Sutori, the strategy RPG where you command an army of up to 200 unique heroes
Nathaniel3W is offline

Nathaniel3W

Nathaniel3W's Avatar
Himeko Sutori Developer

#37

Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 93
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
+1:

Default 

February 22nd, 2020, 11:20
So you didn't "ride the bull" in Dragon Age 3?? Awwwww. "I believe we may have blinded poor Cullen." [/QUOTE]

LOL, Scarred for life.
skally_wag is offline

skally_wag

skally_wag's Avatar
Sentinel

#38

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 314
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default 

February 22nd, 2020, 13:58
Originally Posted by Ivanwah View Post
Yeah that is the worst aspect of that game to me. I get that he is supposed to be some kind of Casanova and that some women are falling for him because of his reputation, but when they decided to add those cards in the game it was too much. I even followed a guide to make sure I don't miss anything and those were listed as collectibles. Really disrespectful. I'm glad they removed those in later games and toned down the number of women you can have sex with.
I'm not. I thought it was a great feature. I love sex and collectables so to have the two together was very attractive.
--
If you have no other choice but to kill, you have failed.
Ntwa kgolo ke ya molomo
Philistine is offline

Philistine

Sentinel
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

#39

Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 480
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)

Default 

February 22nd, 2020, 15:14
As the haze of ‘not me’ moral posturing from the ‘scaring females away’ clears, it is actually refreshing to have the misogynists and homophobes come here and declare themselves so boldly.

Of course, I would have been much happier being wrong …
--
-- Mike
txa1265 is offline

txa1265

txa1265's Avatar
SasqWatch
Moderator

#40

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Corning, NY USA
Posts: 14,439
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » Polls & Comments » What Gender do you play?
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

All times are GMT +2. The time now is 05:44.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by DragonByte Security (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright by RPGWatch