What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

My Friend Dahmer

A drama based on the true story of serial killer Jeffrey Dahmer. It's not terribly exciting, but I did find it interesting. Rather than focusing on his killing spree like most films about a serial killer do, it was about his teenage years growing up in Ohio. It gave some insight on what he was like before he became one of the most disturbed killers in American history.

I watched that film a few years ago, JDR, and found it very insightful into some aspects of his earlier life that I was completely unaware of. A sobering and chilling movie, to be sure, yet worth watching.

Chaos Walking

A sci-fi flick with Tom Holland and Daisy Ridley. I posted the trailer a few pages back. In short, it's not very good. It's based on the first novel of a trilogy, but I haven't read it so I can't say how faithful the film is to the source material.

It has a decent setup, and good performances from Holland and Ridley, but it ends with more questions than answers. Maybe it's the result of being based on a first book, but I doubt we'll see the rest of the story in movie form since it seems to be a huge flop financially.

It has a decent setup, and good performances from Holland and Ridley, but it ends with more questions than answers. Maybe it's the result of being based on a first book, but I doubt we'll see the rest of the story in movie form since it seems to be a huge flop financially.
Ah, that's a pity. I've read the Chaos Walking trilogy and was looking forward to the movie, with the hope that the full story would be told eventually.

We like to have movie nights on Friday, and usually there's a long-running theme (e.g. earlier this year the theme was "catch up on Marvel movies").
At the moment it's disaster movies. We haven't exactly been watching them with a critical eye, more like seeking brainless thrills. Junkfood for the brain while we stuff our faces with junkfood.

So far we've watched:
Greenland - featuring Gerard Butler being Gerard Butler. We enjoyed this one quite a bit, and it ended up being less OTT than some. Walked the line of OTT action set-pieces and grim reality quite nicely.
San Andreas - featuring The Rock being The Rock. Way freakin OTT, very silly, but also lots of fun.
Geostorm - more Gerard Butler, but trying to sound American and failing. Very silly movie, and not enough disaster stuff. Had its moments, just needed way more of them.
The Day After Tomorrow - I saw this when it first came out and remember thinking it was a bit stupid, but in this company it's the picture of restraint. We enjoyed this one quite a bit. Cold, lots of cold. Brrr.
Poseidon - this is essentially a remake of The Poseidon Adventure, a movie that freaked me out when I was very very young. There's something about deep water, sinking in deep oceans... drowning in tight spaces... Anyway, we liked this one quite a bit, and it kept us guessing about who would die and who wouldn't (it's not the same as the original in that regard).
Into the Storm - a much lower budget movie about tornado chasers, featuring Rick Grimes' wife. Some creaky SFX, but it entertained nevertheless.
Titanic - when I saw this I though it was one of the most overrated movies of all time, but I was a much more cynical chap back then. I enjoyed it a lot more this time, and the kids got to see the source of some memes they know. We're moving into more realistic fare here, I'm not sure you'd call it "fun".
The Impossible - continuing our move into more realistic stuff, starring a very young Tom Holland, as well as Obi Wan and Naomi Watts. The kids bailed out part way into this one - a bit grim for them. The wife and I stayed through to the end. It was powerful stuff, all the more due to us knowing several groups who were in the area at the time. Definitely not popcorn stuff (despite the happyish ending).

That's it so far. Need to find some more "fun" ones to keep the kids interested…

Titanic - when I saw this I though it was one of the most overrated movies of all time, but I was a much more cynical chap back then. I enjoyed it a lot more this time, and the kids got to see the source of some memes they know.

120477816_10217762791930065_5068481337785446314_n.jpg

Titanic - when I saw this I though it was one of the most overrated movies of all time, but I was a much more cynical chap back then. I enjoyed it a lot more this time, and the kids got to see the source of some memes they know. We're moving into more realistic fare here, I'm not sure you'd call it "fun".

Yeah, I'm not as anti-Titanic a lot of folks. I always get something out of Cameron's movies, even if his later ones weren't up to his best work. It's a very clunky, cheesy movie in many ways, but I still found it quite engaging, and enjoyed the sinking spectacle.

Talking about clunky movies, and movies for the kids, I actually liked The Kid Who Would Be King - a contemporary take on King Arthur. It reminded me a bit of low-budget Sunday afternoon kids' dramas when I was small, and it has a very goofy British tone that is very unHollywood. I kind of liked it more for its obvious flaws.

Last edited:
Greenland
San Andreas
Geostorm
The Day After Tomorrow
Poseidon
Into the Storm
Titanic
The Impossible
The only movie from that list I want to see is San Andreas, but only because The Rock is in it.
As it happens there is always a movie with similar topic so I go for that other one and postpone SA.
The recent one I watched and IMO it's fun (recommended) is chinese The Rescue.

The rest of the bunch I've refused to watch, ever.
Even if it means me dying a miserable death.
movies for the kids
Many times it occured to me while watching a movie - I wish I watched it while I was a kid.
Not even once such movie had a dull and stupid script.

In this century it seems so called movies for kids have the most stupid scripts I've seen in my life. This plague is not only happening in Hollywood, it spread worldwide. B action movies from the past are masterpieces compared to those.

Recent example of such soft lobotomy is ukrainian Foxter and Max.
Enormous potential, nice CGI, but a script so boring I barely managed to watch the whole of it.
Here' hope they learnt something and won't disappoint with Mavka:

Last edited:
king about clunky movies, and movies for the kids, I actually liked The Kid Who Would Be King - a contemporary take on King Arthur. It reminded me a bit of low-budget Sunday afternoon kids' dramas when I was small, and it has a very goofy British tone that is very unHollywood. I kind of liked it more for its obvious flaws.
Totally agree on this one. We watched it as a family and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Still on kids' stuff?

Okay, Nezha Reborn is finally available on Netflix.
I had to stop watching and go away after half an hour (don't ask, RL stuff), but if the whole movie is like it's first 30 minutes, I'm gonna adore it.
Visually is impressive combining steampunk and cyberpunk, bikes, monsters and videogame aesthetics.

The story so far is about reincarnation of mythological creatures enveloped in a sort of dystopia where water is scarce and lives are ruined by an evil (monopolistic) company. Sadly I didn't watch it whole (yet) to see if the company ment here is EA, only disguised as water and not videogames distiributor.
In any case IMO this is as different from Disney as humanely possible. In a positive way.

Different ratings I found on internet:
Netherlands 6, PEGI 13, TV-14, 13+, Australia M (wtf?).

Of course I watch with subs! :)

Trailer, so you know what to check next on Netflix:

A few new suggestions from me… For some you'll probably need VPN or wait a week or a month till streams or theaters with those unlock in your area. Sad reality, here is hope again that geoblocking will one day stop being a thing and we'll all be laughing how idiotic it was.

A Writer's Odyssey (2021) - unique festival of someone's wild imagination, feels like playing a tripleA RPG designed by someone who cherishes good storytelling, a mustwatch.

Seobok (2021) - a mix of almost all possible genres, sadly not awsome as the result is a watchable action thriller with brilliant scifi. Those juicy scifi parts will bomb you with phylosophical questions about purpose of existing and it's such a shame the movie runtime was equally concentrated on what I may call - an actiony filler. Still, worth a watch.

Nobody (2021) - a grinding reality where every week feels the same, similar to your own life, suddenly shifts into a sheer madness for the protagonist here. Of course there is a twist on how and why, there will be action and blood while bodies will pile up. A mustwatch pic proof there is still hope for Hollywood.

Errementari (2017) - imdb bullshits again, this is not horror but a folktale for kids that covers naivity, ignorance, greeed and evilness. It is also a story about empathy and redemption. With great main characters and masks, sadly also with a few untalented support roles. Last time you saw a Basque (Euskera) movie was when? Well, time to watch your first, and trust me it is a good one!

Nobody (2021) - a grinding reality where every week feels the same, similar to your own life, suddenly shifts into a sheer madness for the protagonist here. Of course there is a twist on how and why, there will be action and blood while bodies will pile up. A mustwatch pic proof there is still hope for Hollywood.

I might watch that this weekend. I really like Bob Odenkirk, although I have a hard time imagining him as an action hero.

Like him or not doesn't matter really.
Picking him for this role was the perfect choice, it's one of those performances where after the movie ends you cannot imagine anyone else instead of him doing it.

Unless you're dartagnan who sees every role as Mads Mikkelsen material. ;)

Yeah, this is on my must-watch list. I'm a fan of Bob Odenkirk, and the trailer for this movie is excellent. Glad to hear it's as good as I hoped.

A Writer's Odyssey (2021)
Errementari (2017)
These two I haven't heard of, but look pretty awesome. I'll have a look for them. I imagine they aren't on Netflix or Disney+, so… arrhh aaaarhh

Edit: just checked, and Errementari is on Netflix for my region :cool: Now I don't have to suffer the soul-killing guilt of you know what :p

Looks like fun. I quite like the John Wick tone - over the top action that doesn't take itself too seriously, but not painfully cheesy.

The English public school system (named "public", but actually meaning "private") has always been a madhouse. I got kicked out of it, and went energetically off the rails, which I don't think I would have done if I'd gone to some nice, sane school.

One of my favourite movies is If… (1968)
(yes, I've jumped thread)

This movie is wicked, what a madness! School seems almost worst than what The Wall makes of it.

The last part surprised me a little bit.
There are obviously fantasies, I'm just not entirely sure which parts are and which aren't :D Are they supposed to be military cadets in the real part? I suppose not, unless some of those schools were military and switched uniforms at some point, which I doubt. My interpretation: it's the 3 rebels' imaginary revolution, but why does everyone wear a uniform? They could have kept their civilian clothes. Maybe to reinforce the hint it's a fantasy, if the switch between colour / black & white was not enough?

When they had their first military exercice, I first thought it was a sort of fantasy, then thought it could be real. Of course, the school chaplain out of a drawer finally gave it away.

Same for the cafe scene, there's obviously a part of fantasy but as a viewer you can almost choose when it begins.
Anyway, thanks, it was interesting :)

(yes, I've jumped thread)

This movie is wicked, what a madness! School seems almost worst than what The Wall makes of it.

The last part surprised me a little bit.
There are obviously fantasies, I'm just not entirely sure which parts are and which aren't :D Are they supposed to be military cadets in the real part? I suppose not, unless some of those schools were military and switched uniforms at some point, which I doubt. My interpretation: it's the 3 rebels' imaginary revolution, but why does everyone wear a uniform? They could have kept their civilian clothes. Maybe to reinforce the hint it's a fantasy, if the switch between colour / black & white was not enough?

When they had their first military exercice, I first thought it was a sort of fantasy, then thought it could be real. Of course, the school chaplain out of a drawer finally gave it away.

Same for the cafe scene, there's obviously a part of fantasy but as a viewer you can almost choose when it begins.
Anyway, thanks, it was interesting :)

Yes, people like Pink Floyd and Monty Python have all discussed the influence of the film. I think there's a through-line one can draw across British artists of the post-war generation that emerged from that system. A shared desire to throw a hand grenade at the absurdity, the cruelty, and the sort of people it elevated.

I think the element of the surreal, and not having a straightforward narrative, is all part of the subversive intent, and was often used in that era. The surrealist movement itself was explicitly subversive. The idea being that realism contained a perspective and a dogma that had to be challenged; that the establishment had captured the conscious mind, and that we had to access the subconscious mind in order to resist it. For whatever reason, the anti-establishment style of that era really speaks to me, even though it was from my parents' generation - perhaps an irony!

Last edited:
Last night I watched a film I've seen probably a dozen times or so in my lifetime: A Clockwork Orange. I put it in the category of one of those few films that either equals or perhaps surpasses the fine book, a masterpiece today as it was decades ago. Also it served as a palate cleanser to clear out the memory of a terrible film I'd seen a few days ago, It.

Back
Top Bottom