The Totally NEW Team Corwin Thread

Oh, yes, you're right.

So, I guess, it's rather a thing for Iconics from that realm.

Oh, yes, you're right.

So, I guess, it's rather a thing for Iconics from that realm.
Not really. The Eveningstar Key stays thru TR's, so once a character has one, he/she will always have it available forever and ever. Part of the reason we keep leaning on you to TR one of your toons with a key for the main group.

Not really. The Eveningstar Key stays thru TR's, so once a character has one, he/she will always have it available forever and ever. Part of the reason we keep leaning on you to TR one of your toons with a key for the main group.

Sorry, with "thing" I meant the Teythamar (or how it is spelled) quest line. Because of its level. (Iconics start in Wheelon with level 15.)

I understand what you mean, though. It's a very good thing to have that key through all TR lives.

I played through the last 2 quests. The one before the last one is a looong dungeon crawl,
the last one has an interesting and spooky/eery story. Very much recommended for Helloween !
It also has a lot of voice acting, so there's not that easy rushing through it.

I'll be driving home tomorrow, but I think I can sneak out of work a little early. If so, I'd be in game about 1.5hrs after the usual start. Perhaps we could then do a little work on the new mains if everyone makes it tomorrow? If not, no worries.

Magus of the Eclipse

Code:
Overview:
Magus of the Eclipse is a new Epic Destiny that replaces Magister in this new Epic Destiny system. The old Magister had a lot of different things in it, some better than others. One of the biggest components of old-Magister was Spell DCs - However, in the new system one of our major goals was to give far broader options for DC casting, so we distributed that role among a large number of trees. We also wanted to find a tree for two particular casting types not covered well in the existing Destinies: Cold and Negative damage. Ultimately, this led to us sunsetting Magister and creating Magus of the Eclipse, a tree with a focus on Cold Damage, Negative Damage, and some DC and Spell Penetration aspects. We do know that there were features of Magister that were well liked; some (like Grand Summoner and the unique Summons) remain in Magus! Others (like Arcane Tempest) may appear in other places in the future, such as spells or potential future Destinies.

Finally, there is a new Epic Past Life thematically connected to this tree! See the main Preview thread for details, and please leave any feedback about it there. (Like all Epic Past Lives starting in U51, you are not required to play any specific Destiny to be able to take that Epic Past Life.)

Core Abilities:

Core 1 (level 20!): Touched by the Moon: You gain the Magical Training feat. Each core of this tree grants +50 Spell Points, +5 Cold and Negative spell power, +5 universal spell power. Each core also grants a +1 Epic bonus to all Spell DCs.
    Core 3 (level 23): Deepening Arcana: Spell Point Pool increased by 10%, Echoes of Power now restores up to 30 SP. Does not stack with Deepening Faith (from Exalted Angel).
    Core 6 (level 26): Nullmagic Aura: Your comprehension of the arcane allows you to unravel spells at the base level, before they do any harm. When activated, for 20 seconds, you and allies near you are immune to harmful spells. Cooldown: 2 minutes

Tier 1 (req level 20):

Imperceptible Casting: -10/20/30% spell threat. Rank 3: if you have the Discipline feat, double these bonuses.
    Moonbeams: Multiselector:
        Moon Lance: Epic Strike: Single-target SLA, 1d6+6 Cold Damage per caster level and applies 3 stacks of Shattermantle. Cooldown 6 seconds, cost 5 SP
        Gloomspear: Epic Strike: Single-target SLA, 1d6+6 Negative Damage per caster level and applies 3 stacks of Shattermantle. Cooldown 6 seconds, cost 5 SP

Great Summoner: Your summons, pets, and hirelings gain +4 to all ability scores, increased health, 100% Fortification, and a 40% increase to movement speed. Stack with augment summoning and similar effects.
    Frostlight: Magus of the Eclipse Destiny Mantle: You take half damage from Cold and, if you are not Undead, take half from Negative. If you are Undead, you take half damage from Light instead. This does not stack with Fire Shield: Cold or Cold Energy Sheathe.
    Impregnable Mind: +2/4/6 Will saves and concentration. Rank 3: you no longer fail Will saves on a 1

Tier 2 (req level 20):

Moontouched: +1/2/3 to the DCs of Fear-based spells.
    Call Upon: Multiselector: Active Ability: (Cooldown 60 seconds) Summon an epic (CR20) creature to aid you.
        Animated Armor
        Golem
        Succubus
        Living Meteor Swarm
        Dream Reaver
        Lich
        Gargoyle

Moonlight: Multiselector:
        Cold Light of the Moon: Creates a lingering AOE of moonlight. Deals 3d6 Cold Damage plus 2 per Caster Level to enemies inside the zone every 2 seconds. The zone lasts for 10 seconds. 25 second cooldown.
        Dark Light of the Moon: Creates a lingering AOE of moonlight. Deals 3d6 Negative Damage plus 2 per Caster Level. to non-undead enemies inside the zone every 2 seconds The zone lasts for 10 seconds. 25 second cooldown.

Chill Aura: While in your Frostlight Mantle, enemies within melee range take 2d4 Cold damage per caster level and 2d4 Negative damage per caster level every 6 seconds. If an enemy would heal from either of these effects, they do not take the damage.
    Lunar Insight: Multiselector:
        When using Arcane Insight Gain 200% of your Intelligence in Temp Spell points that last 60 seconds and the cool downs of all Words of Power Reset.
        When using Arcane Insight Gain 200% of your Wisdom in Temp Spell points that last 60 seconds and the cool downs of all Words of Power Reset.
        When using Arcane Insight Gain 200% of your Charisma in Temp Spell points that last 60 seconds and the cool downs of all Words of Power Reset.

Tier 3 (req level 23):

Partial Eclipse: Multiselector:
        +1/2/3 Evocation DC
        +1/2/3 Necromancy DC
        +1/2/3 Illusion DC

Lunar Imbuement: When you hit an enemy with Moon Lance, you gain +10 Cold Spell Power for 12 seconds. When you hit an enemy with Gloomspear, you gain +10 Negative Spell Power for 12 seconds. When you hit an enemy with either, they take 5 stacks of Vulnerable.
    Starlight: Your Cold or Dark Light zone now has the following attributes:
        Rank 1: Slows the movement of non-boss enemies that enter it by 20%
        Rank 2: Adds 5% incorporeality to all allies inside the zone
        Rank 3: On expiration, the zone explodes, dealing 3d20 + 6 per Caster Level of the relevant kind of damage to enemies within

Share the Light: While your Frostlight Mantle is active, your summons now also benefit from it. For the purpose of this skill, these summons have your Cold and Negative Spell Power.
    Piercing Spellcraft: +1/2/3 spell penetration.

Tier 4 (req level 26):

Nullmagic Protection: When you are hit or missed by an enemy, there is a 6% chance that a burst of antimagic energy expands from your body. Nearby enemies are subject to a Dispel Magic effect, which may strip them of their magical protections, and will be rendered unable to cast spells and lose 4 Spell Resistance for 30 seconds.
    Greater Beams: When you use Moon Lance, the target must make a save (DC 20 + highest of INT, WIS, CHA modifier + the highest of your Evocation and Conjuration bonuses) or be Frozen for 12 seconds. When you use Gloomspear, the target must make a save (DC 20 + highest of INT, WIS, CHA modifier + Necromancy bonuses) or be Paralyzed for 12 seconds.
    Revel in the Night: You are immune to Fear and Blindness.
    Nullmagic Strike: While in your Frostlight Mantle, attacks you make and offensive spells you cast have a 15% chance to subject the target to a Dispel Magic effect, which may strip them of their magical protections, and will render them unable to cast spells and lose 4 Spell Resistance for 30 seconds.
    Reduced Metas: Multiselector:
        Enhanced Metamagics: Maximize: Using the Maximize Spell Metamagic costs you 3/6/9 fewer Spell Points.
        Enhanced Metamagics: Empower: Using the Empower Spell Metamagic costs you 2/4/6 fewer Spell Points.

Tier 5 (req level 30):

Total Eclipse: +1/2/3 spell DCs.
    Cosmos: Multiselector:
        Zero Degree Comet: Evocation SLA. Hit target enemy with a falling chunk of ice for 1d6+28 cold damage per caster level. A successful Reflex save reduces the damage by half. Cooldown 18 seconds, cost 40 SP
        Moon's Shadow: Evocation SLA. Hit target enemy with a miniature black hole for 1d6+28 negative damage per caster level. A successful Reflex save reduces the damage by half. Cooldown 18 seconds, cost 40 SP

Time Stop: Epic Moment: Enemies in a small area are Paralyzed and Helpless with no save for 6 seconds. They cannot die in this state, but if they are below 0 HP when they leave this state, they die instantly. Bosses and Raid Bosses are not Paralyzed, but are considered Helpless for the purpose of damage. 5 minute cooldown.
    Lunar Power: +10 Negative and Cold spell power, +20 Universal spellpower, If you are in your Frostlight Mantle, you also gain +20 MRR Cap.
    Epic Metamagics: Intensify: Using the Intensify metamagic no longer costs spell points.

Basically, a Cold/Negative energy tree.

Basically, a Cold/Negative energy tree.

Makes sense, with the word "Eclipse" in its title.

I'll be driving home tomorrow, but I think I can sneak out of work a little early. If so, I'd be in game about 1.5hrs after the usual start. Perhaps we could then do a little work on the new mains if everyone makes it tomorrow? If not, no worries.

There's a saying I invented :

"It is not important that you arrive there as soon as possible.
It is impoirtant that you arrive there at all."

So, be careful, please.

Sorry, folks. We've got someone coming to look at the house tomorrow so I spent the past few hours helping the boss clean. Maybe next week.

No worries, selling the house takes priority.

We ran Waterworks and got Corwin up to 5. Then we switched to the alts, and after much complaining, did the first chain in Evensingstar. On Reaper. It actually wasn't too horrible, but it does remind me why we rarely run in Epics.

I am back on day shift for the next two weeks. Which means a good chance of working Saturdays, at least until I go back on nights.

Well, it wasn't too horribly, but my char died a few times. That always makes me feel frustrated.

I think I need to get much better Fortification (it's currently at 123 points), and a better armor class, if possible.

The fightings seemed to take on forever, which is why I don't like to do Epic quests at all.
Which is why I never tried to solo the chain.

When I woke up this morning, I thought : "Would've been a Vorpal weapon better for the melees, perhaps ?
To get a confirmed 20 is rare, but *when* that happens, it shortens the fight considerably.

It was quite difficult to understand what gave violet damage numbers and what not. My Fire Elemental was either instantly sestroyed by the last boss, or banished, I don't know. Too bad combat logs still can't be put on the Hd as text files.

I had thought that Force as a damage type would be very successful - as it is in most cases otherwise, but I didn't get a single violet damaga number with that, which worried me. And even my strongest spells didn't seem to scratch them.
I assume that I need to get a much higher Spell Penetration for that, too.

The only thing I knew from earlier research is that most Drow from that quest chain are chaotic, so lawful weapons do help against them.
Elf bane in melee weapons would help, too.
As well as good aligned weapons.

Edit : I'm currently looking at the Wiki page.

The tiny "swarmhorde" spiders are called "Vermin". So, vermin bane would help.
I used my "force misseles" a lot of times against them, because this is a spell which kind of splits itself into several "missiles", which helps against a multitute of enemies.

The "Red Weaver", however, is a demon (a Bebilith, in fact), and has, according to the Wiki DR of 12/good.
https://ddowiki.com/page/Bebilith_sub-race
They're rare, and I encountered 1 in a Teythamar quest (countsfor the Monster Manual).

Regarding these slaves with a collar : The Wiki says about them : https://ddowiki.com/page/The_Lost_Thread/Skill_DC
I assume that this list applies to the ones in other quests (like in that fight quest), too.

To be fair, I noticed you in the melee quite often; not the place for a caster Wizard. Magic Missile would have done a ton more damage than swinging those sticks at the boss. The problem you were seeing with them avoiding a lot of your spell damage is because starting with Menace of the Underdark, DDO devs started putting evasion on everything no matter how little sense it made. So you need as high an Evocation spell DC as you can get.

Quite frankly, Epic sucks for casters until they have the gear, past lives, and EDs to be effective. You pretty much will not have the spells DCs to reliably land anything until you have all the EDs and gear, and you need the past lives to break spell resistance as well. Basically, you need 3 Cleric, 3 Wizard, 3 Favored Soul, and 3 Sorcerer past lives minimum just to start being effective. Then all your EDs, so you can be in the most effective one for your class while twisting in DC boosts from Draconic/Magister.

There's a reason I never run very high with casters, and why Aerie has largely been stuck in epics (iconic, so I have to hit 30 to TR). It's because past 20, you need way WAY more investment into being able to run as a caster than a melee.

Spell penetration lets you get through spell resistance, but that only protects against crowd control and instant kill spells. Straight damage spells aren't affected by spell resistance at all.

Vorpal actually only instant-kills enemies with less than 1000 hit points. Otherwise it just does an extra 100 damage on 20. Improved and Sovereign Vorpal up the hp limit, but they are still far too low to be of much use even in low Epics. Even by upper-level heroics and newer stat-inflated content, hitpoints for trash mobs are so high that Vorpal often isn't worth using over a high-damage weapon. Banishing, Smiting, and Disrupting have similar hit point limits, as well as being restricted to Outsider, Construct, and Undead enemies respectively.

To be fair, I noticed you in the melee quite often; not the place for a caster Wizard. Magic Missile would have done a ton more damage than swinging those sticks at the boss.

I usually did so only when I saw a Drow with very, very few hit points left.

But that was also an expression of my frustration.

I do hope that things get better after the remaking of the Destinies …
But I have often read in the forums that "at end game", melee characters often were so much more powerful than casters.

What makes me angry is that this game seems to be balanced against the abilities of chars with several past lives. And that the community in the forums just doesn't see the problems of beginners of the Epics. They all soom to me - that's my personal impression - only focused on end game. Everything else doesn't seem to exist for them, or gets downplayed / silenced to death.

I'm not often in the DDO forums anymore, because that frustrates me a lot and makes me very angry that it seems to me that the game gets balanced around "end game", and that the people playing that very clearly dominate the DDO forums. I don't even see bug reports or suggestions for a better game regarding low to mid level content by the vast majority of the DDO forums inhabitants. In my opinion, what I see there is exactly what the article "Pandering To The Base" describes : https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/PanderingToTheBase

I fear that i need to farm items with running my other characters within the Keep On The Borderlands, and probably transfer several items from my other caster alt, Senha, too.

On the positive side : But at least Waterworks was a success, apart from my character always trailing slowly behind. :lol:

I'm a Monk, so everyone will be trailing behind me. :p But in 3 Barrel Cove there's some boots with striding that are level 5; I've got a few sets on various characters that get quite a bit of use. Helps with keeping up. Alternately, there's another set from Saltmarsh with the same level of Striding, and one at level 6 with 25% striding from Kind of a Big Deal. Also a good ring in Saltmarsh that has Speed 15%, which is a combination effect giving Striding and Melee alacrity.

Since my preferred game style is using casters, you can now see why I hate epic as well. I remember taking my 'powerful' level 20 sorc into King's Forest the first time and struggling to kill, or even damage anything!! I was NOT impressed and have remained so!! :)

In contrast, I've blasted through Epics with ease as a melee; even my old Monk, which was nowhere near best for running in high level content and has been somewhat lacking for years, had no issues tearing into epics. Mureall actually has my second highest amount of completed EDs, only beat by Mirys who went in as a Fighter and finished all her EDs. My Alchemists, due to being archers, also aren't having any issues blowing through Epics despite being well away from being optimal builds. My Wizard? A pain in the neck to even run on Epic Normal.

I'll note that Warlocks are a different breed, since they can rely on blasting stuff instead of spells; they're far weaker now than they used to be, but still not bad. I'll farm DA with my parked Warlock by turning on Aura and doing something else while she finishes in the background.

Yeah, but even Warlocks have been severely nerfed! Still, they are FAR more useful in epics than your typical Wiz or Sorc!! Barbarians for WIN!!!! :D

Has anyone tackled Horizon Walker ? Is it fun ?

I definitely won't be on time this week (again...) since I'll be driving back to Indiana after work. We're moving my oldest into her first apartment Saturday so I don't know whether I'll pull off a late arrival or get shut out completely like last week. We'll see.

Sorry this is dragging out so badly.

Just do your best and put your family first!! :)

I fully agree to Corwin !

Back
Top Bottom