Falling For Fallout: A (Post-Nuclear RPG) Retrospective

sigh... and then EA opened up its bowels and commenced spewing endless rivers of vomit onto the scene, and lo and behold, it was downhill from there :(

i think my fondest memories are still from Knights Of Legend from long dead Origin. What I wouldn't give for a modern remake of that :)

I love it when an article produces debate and discussion, especially when it's of a high level!! :)

I find it odd that people who love first Fallout didn't enjoy the sequel so much. I loved it, and played it lot longer than the first game... I think both FI and II are fantastic

The sequel is good but I did enjoy the original more. The first was more....concise. The opening was better (I thought the Temple was pretty lame), the game blew me away, the ending was fabulous (perhaps my favourite ever).

The second introduced some welcome interface improvements but I felt it dragged a bit in places and the story didn't grab me as much. The whole thing wasn't quite as poignant. Plus (and this isn't the game's fault) -- I'd already experienced the art and setting, so it loses a bit of its "wow" factor. Then there's the excessive pop-culture references...you get the idea.

The sequel is good but I did enjoy the original more. The first was more....concise. The opening was better (I thought the Temple was pretty lame), the game blew me away, the ending was fabulous (perhaps my favourite ever).

The second introduced some welcome interface improvements but I felt it dragged a bit in places and the story didn't grab me as much. The whole thing wasn't quite as poignant. Plus (and this isn't the game's fault) -- I'd already experienced the art and setting, so it loses a bit of its "wow" factor. Then there's the excessive pop-culture references...you get the idea.

I couldn't have said it better. The 2nd Fallout also had quite a few bugs.

Yep. Dhruin has encapsulated my feelings precisely too!!

I find it odd that people who love first Fallout didn't enjoy the sequel so much. I loved it, and played it lot longer than the first game... I think both FI and II are fantastic
And now I'd like to read to you a little poem I wrote the other day. I call it "Fallout 2 in All-Caps".

*ahem*

DISCRIMINATING AGAINST TRIBALS ISN'T NICE

GHOULS ARE PEOPLE TOO

SUPERMUTANTS AND NORMALS, CAN'T WE ALL JUST GET ALONG?

EVEN SQUATTERS HAVE TO LIVE SOMEWHERE

"IRRADIATED HUMANS MUST BE EXTERMINATED, SIEG HEIL AND PRAISE JESUS" - NOT SO FAST, HITLER!

ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE

DA DA DA-DA-DA

ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE

DA DA DA-DA-DA

ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE

LOVE

LOVE IS ALL YOU NEED

Thank you.

To be honest, I quite dislike it. First, the form: I don't see why every paragraph needs to have a tittle, and I feel this takes away from the article - it appears too "bunched up". And secondly, the actual content: I don't see an actual point anywhere - loads of stuff are mentioned passingly, but, for example, gameplay is missed completely. On the other hand, there's a full paragraph on the SPECIAL system, which is not of big importance in the bigger picture. In total, the whole article seems a bit... weak.

Of course, maybe we simply don't agree on what a retrospective article is, so please, do not take offense.

:)

Off Topic Question To Dave

I saw your name and was wondering if you are related to me. My name is Robert Bonnewell. I know our name is not very common so I thought I'd ask.
Do you have any relative in Arizona that you know of? If you'd like to e-mail me you can at smrpb@hotmail.com.
Anyway, I enjoyed reading your thread. I never played Fallout but it did remind me of a Pen and Paper game I often played called Gamma World.
Im a big time gamer too and have been playing for about 10 years.

Hoping to hear from you - Robert

Serpent, in case he misses your post, why not send him a PM as well!!

Back
Top Bottom