|
Your donations keep RPGWatch running!
RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Valkyria Chronicles 4 - Released

Default Valkyria Chronicles 4 - Released

September 26th, 2018, 05:15
Valkyria Chronicles 4 has been released on Steam.

loading…

A Continent Engulfed in the Bitter Flames of War!

Valkyria Chronicles 4 takes place in the same timeframe as the original Valkyria Chronicles, but with an all-new story focusing on Squad E of the Federation. Commander Claude Wallace and his childhood friends set out to fight in a desperate war, but bone-chilling blizzards, waves of imperial soldiers, and the godlike powers of the Valkyria stand between them and victory.

The BLiTZ Battle System and the CANVAS Graphic Engine return!

Features

A Coming-of-Age Story in a Time of War
Take command of the determined, young Commander Claude Wallace, engineer/heavy weapons extraordinaire Riley Miller, hot-headed Darcsen Raz, ice-cold ace sniper Kai Schulen, and more. Together, they will experience the painful realities of war but will the bonds of Squad E's friendships survive the frozen battlefield?

The Next Generation ""BLiTZ"" Battle System

Part overhead turn-based strategy, part RPG, and part real-time 3rd person shooter, the "BLiTZ" battle system returns to the field. New features include an explosive new class called the Grenadier, numerous offensive/defensive battleship support options, chances for a unit to have a "Last Stand" action before death, and more. Plus, fight the imperial threat with more units on larger-scale maps than ever before.

CANVAS Aesthetics
The series' signature hand-drawn visual style is back and overhauled for the newest generation. Inspired by watercolour compositions, the CANVAS Graphics Engine blends visual elements of reality and imagination to create an expressive world filled with colourful emotions. Watch the journey of Squad E unfold like an interactive painting!

The Return of a Legendary Composer
The illustrious Hitoshi Sakimoto, original composer of the Valkyria Chronicles series and countless other emotional epics, returns to provide a sweeping orchestral score for the game.

Optimised for PC
4K resolutions, customisable keyboard and mouse controls, even ultra- widescreen support. Also includes achievements and Steam trading cards.
More information.

Silver

Spaceman
RPGWatch Team

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)

September 26th, 2018, 05:15
Of the first 88 Steam reviews, 93% positive. Somebody was complaining that there was no way to re-map keys. Looks like supporting ultra-wide requires you use a somewhat out-of-the way option: https://steamcommunity.com/app/79082…3724915188621/

Zloth

I smell a… wumpus!?

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)

September 26th, 2018, 09:27
Just had to release on the same day as Pathfinder didn't you? Well you'll have to wait.
--
"One Vision. One Purpose. Peace Through Power."

Check out my RPG News Thread usually updated daily.

Couchpotato

In the Name of Kane!

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)

September 26th, 2018, 11:11
So many great games and three in the past couple of weeks. I would think the market is getting pretty saturated.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)

September 26th, 2018, 11:12
Originally Posted by Zloth View Post
Of the first 88 Steam reviews, 93% positive. Somebody was complaining that there was no way to re-map keys. Looks like supporting ultra-wide requires you use a somewhat out-of-the way option: https://steamcommunity.com/app/79082…3724915188621/
I just started the game so no review from me, but first impression after a few cutscenes and maps - I love it!
No remapping, true. What you didn't notice - it plays fantastic with k+m, mushrooms sniping and aiming tank/grenade/mortar is crappy.
Who cares about ultra wide? The game supports going over 60 frames per second. Yeah baby. It's not needed because the game is not rt shooter, but I'd take high fps over res any day.
Originally Posted by Couchpotato View Post
Just had to release on the same day as Pathfinder didn't you? Well you'll have to wait.
It downloaded for me first so Kingmaker will wait.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)

September 26th, 2018, 15:06
Valkyria Chronicles 4 will get better with patches by the time I'm finished with Divinity 2 OSDE.

mercy

SasqWatch

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)

September 26th, 2018, 15:28
Valkyria Chronicles 4 needs no patch.

It only needs setting japanese VO as default and redesign of the stupid "scout rush" strategy which is de facto optional, but it doesn't mean the stinker should have been kept. IMO.
That won't happen sadly.

If you mean those reports about different mushrooms… I can't believe anyone would play the PC version with that. I mean, look at this… this… I better shut my trap:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/79082…13724914594857
Couldn't get through the main menu, as the game is constantly "disconecting" something from windows. I keep getting the windows disconect noise every 4 or so seconds, and it causes the game to freeze up for about 2 seconds each time.

FOUND A FIX:
I also had a fight stick plugged in, and for whatever reason it kept trying to connect and unconnect it. Unplugging the stick caused it to stop trying to force it over and over.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

September 26th, 2018, 18:08
I'll likely replay the first one before getting this newer game. That should give plenty of time for any serious issues to be resolved.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

September 26th, 2018, 19:59
I'm telling you there are no serious issues.
The biggest issue currently is softfreeze in a few cutscenes (the game for some reason can't play them fully), but those are not gamestoppers on PC, if it happens on your side all you need to press esc basically to skip the rest of the cutscene.
But… If you unplugged your keyboard and your PC is emulating Nintendo Gameboy… Do wait.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

September 28th, 2018, 16:24
Originally Posted by joxer View Post
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
I'll likely replay the first one before getting this newer game. That should give plenty of time for any serious issues to be resolved.
I'm telling you there are no serious issues.
And they actually made a patch. Already, yes.
https://steamcommunity.com/games/790…26561899282564
Walk has been added to the d-pad
Various localisation bug fixes
Fix for a black screen fade in later chapters
Tweaks to tank controls
d-pad? wtf is that?
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

September 28th, 2018, 18:07
Now can they go ahead and release a bundle with all the dlcs.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

September 28th, 2018, 18:29
d-pad? wtf is that?
There are more things on a controller than mushrooms.
--
It's developer is owned by Sony which means it'll remain a hostage of inferior hardware. ~ joxer

azarhal

SasqWatch
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin Donor

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
+1:

September 28th, 2018, 18:44
You mean controller vibration useful for people to stick them in… Well… "Normal" people enable vibration on phones and use those instead.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

September 28th, 2018, 18:46
Oh, I'll be getting this at some point, just don't need it now because I have a huge amount of games to get through first. And if that timing allows for a price drop and all content, so much the better.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

September 28th, 2018, 18:52
I'll probably open tips&tricks thread similar to Kingmaker then. Some plain cry to be shared.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

September 29th, 2018, 00:41
If this is like the first game it won't be necessary. The first game was great but i didn't require much special skills

I'll pick this up when the complete versions is released and then replay the first one first.

I'll probably open tips&tricks thread similar to Kingmaker then. Some plain cry to be shared.

you

Lazy_dog
RPGWatch Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor

October 10th, 2018, 16:36

Price? 7€.
Content? Two missions but apparenty fun:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/79082…1526176326345/

Me? No. I'll finish the vanilla game then will wait till all planned DLC are completed and on sale.
--
Toka Koka

joxer

The Smoker
Original Sin 1 & 2 Donor

October 10th, 2018, 20:37
Now I know for certain that I'll just wait till all the content is done and available to buy in one fell swoop. Looking forward to this game, but I have plenty right now to keep me fully occupied.

Carnifex

SasqWatch

RPGWatch Forums » Comments » News Comments » Valkyria Chronicles 4 - Released