Microsoft - Win 10 Gaining Traction

Aubrielle

Noveliste
WCCFTech reports that Microsoft's numbers are climbing after their campaign of forced upgrades to Windows 10.

Nagware or not, Microsoft’s Windows 10 update strategies are definitely working in favor of the company. After reports last month claiming the growth of the latest Windows operating system is slowing down, Windows 10 gained some strong numbers in May. The OS has posted its biggest growth spurt since August 2015, and has also managed to replace Windows 7 as the most-used operating system in North America.
Read more.

More information.

Yeah, it's amazing what you can get people to do when you twist their arms...

I think statcounter just counts activations and not the people who have gone back to win7 after so its a little misleading.
Well according to Steam Win 10 is the most used OS for their users.

Link - http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Windows 10 64 bit 40.17% compared to Windows 7 64 bit 32.06%.
Yeah, it's amazing what you can get people to do when you twist their arms…
I shared a joke on the forums that describes how the update works.

http://en.rocketnews24.com/2016/05/...in-twitter-artists-cute-yet-horrifying-manga/

I like Win10 …. A worthy replacement to Win7. My only gripe is that it still has some persistent and annoying UI bugs. That aside, there are a lot of nice features to the o/s and it has been quite stable and zippy. Last but not least… You can't beat the price!

You can't beat the price!

Until they start charging you a monthly subscription fee, just like Office, though probably more than $10/mo.

Bindows11-640x353.jpg

Until they start charging you a monthly subscription fee, just like Office, though probably more than $10/mo.

That's not necessarily a bad thing. Originally I was against the subscription model of Office 365. But quick math showed it's not a bad deal.

For $99 a year, you get 5 licenses. Buying Office each year will run you about $120 to $160 for 1 user license. So depending on your situation, having both choices is a good thing.

If they have a reasonable model for Windows then I'll be ok with it. If not, I still have my Win7 discs and there's no reason for the near future why I can't roll back to it.

That's not necessarily a bad thing.
For $99 a year, you get 5 licenses. Buying Office each year will run you about $120 to $160 for 1 user license. So depending on your situation, having both choices is a good thing.
I agree it depends but I don't need to buy Office every year. I have Office 2007 installed and it meets my needs at home just fine and that is the problem for MS.

Its like the problem with pharmaceuticals, nobody wants to develop new antibiotics since most people only need them once in a year or something and only want to pay a few bucks. They want instead to have everyone buying heart or liver or chronic pain medicine that you have take until you die. I see software subscriptions the same way especially for something that is very stable like Office.

I agree it depends but I don't need to buy Office every year. I have Office 2007 installed and it meets my needs at home just fine and that is the problem for MS.

That's why having the choice is a good thing. I like having the latest version of office and I actively use Word, Excel, and Access. Plus I have a wife and kids who use office for work and school work. So for us, it makes sense.

If a Windows subscription comes along that makes sense, but perhaps if MS still offers the ability to simply purchase a license straight away, it could be a good thing.

Then again, MS is known to do some crazy stuff... or at least try to (yes, I'm looking at you original draconian Xbox One drm policies and original 'for the life of the machine' Office 2016 license agreement).

Well they've twisted my arm to the point where my next laptop will not be a Windows. :p I only use Windows to run games; everything else I can do on a MacOS or Linux.

…but I don't need to buy Office every year. I have Office 2007 installed and it meets my needs…
This.
Me too. And I just don't need anything newer currently.

About 365 Home User price it's possible to find the subscription for less than $100, where I live there is currently 50% off possibility at one store.

But in reality, Office 365 is again a case where a company instead of government is taxing air. In other words, Office 365 is a scam of enormous proportions:

- I don't use Office editing each and every month. Usually I just read something or watch a presentation which means I'd be okay with just word/excel/ppt viewers.

- Says I can install Office on 5 PCs or Macs, 5 tablets (including Windows, iPad, and Android), and 5 phones. Screw you Microsoft. I don't want Office on phone garbage nor will use Office on it. How about removing that stupid idea from the package and lower the price? Yea, right, because 1 of 1000 users will use word on their iPhone I also have to pay for it.

- 1TB OneDrive cloud storage per user, for up to 5 users? Seriously? I already have account on box.com. Free of charge, no advertisments and no questions asked. It's not 1 terabyte of course, but I'm not planning to upload my games backup so I don't want some premium whatever cloud option on rapidshare clones. Nor would because my internet connection is slower than backup data on my 4Tb USB3.0 external HDD that won't last just one year but till I die. The best part? Price of that HDD is 125 pound sterling:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Seagate-Backup-Portable-External-Drive/dp/B01127CY26
Twice the price of Office 365 but paid once. Not every year.

- 60 monthly Skype minutes per user, for up to 5 users? When did Microsoft become a bunch of ignorant fools? Viber is completely free for everyone, there is no mastodont corporation behind it (read, it's not Facebook's Whassup) and works on any phone and on - PC! What minutes, you can talk as much as you want and pay nothin'.

Dear Microsoft, remove the useless bloatware from the bundle, lower it's price then I can give a thought on upgrading my good old office 2007.
For those rare users who believe only Microsoft develops software and want overpriced cloud, paid phone/chat service instead of freebie and who can't live without office on phones, sell those options as DLC. DLC is a better word for scam so at least be honest and tell people what those things are.

---

Additional note on win10.
Samsung suggests their customers NOT to upgrade to win10. Reason? Drivers:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/05/31/windows_10_samsung_fail/

No, this is not Microsoft's fault. Samsung had almost a year to sort out drivers, yet they failed. And to be honest, I'm kinda skeptic on the whole reason, instead of drivers I bet the culprit is Samsung's bloatware, so a proper solution would be upgrade then clean install of win10 which would remove that garbage.

Which is the equivalent of "when pigs can fly".

I'm not so sure about that. It's almost standard now that indies and Kickstarters include Linux, along with a handful of AAA games, and the full support of Steam. A good number of the games discussed on RPGWatch are available on Linux.

That's a huge change from just a couple of years ago. The Linux market remains tiny, of course, and it's not going to supplant Windows tomorrow, but I don't think the idea of it becoming a viable platform is in absurd territory.

I was forced into Win 10 when my old computer blew up and had to be replaced. About six weeks into owning it, all the Win10 stuff like Cortana and the appstore stopped working, and for me like many others, all the online fixes don't work. Only fix is to create a new user account and copy all my docs and stuff to that new user account, but I haven't done it because I am afraid I will miss something and because I don't miss the appstore stuff anyway. I think the Win10 deadline is in July - I have three older non-gaming computers that I assume I will upgrade. I heard speculation a while ago that the free deadline would be extended, but I haven't heard anything lately.

I don't get why any home user would use MS Office ?

Open office is fine for anything a home user would want to do I guess??

I don't get why any home user would use MS Office ?

Open office is fine for anything a home user would want to do I guess??

I use LibreOffice at work and home, with some pretty complex spreadsheets and forms. Only problem I've ever had is formatting getting screwed up when others require a file in MSOffice format.

Back
Top Bottom