What I've Been Watching: The Catch-All Film Thread

The Haunting of Molly Hartley
Adequate suspense flick, but nothing special. There's better rentals out right now, but it's not a waste of money. Mostly a heaping helping of "meh".

The trailer for District 9, a movie I'm suddenly very interested in.
I ended up seeing that trailer twice over last weekend. The first time, I thought it looked like a really cool movie. The second time, I got a very strong "thinly veiled political statement" vibe that didn't sit well with me.

Seen that one already. Hope the movie will be as good as the trailer promises it to be. Ah, for some reason I always want to drink cherry juice when I see Vampire flicks. (And play Bloodlines.)

Well, the wife and kids went back to Massachusetts for the weekend and I had to stay here ... started off with Postal. Wow that is just a bad movie. I mean, I have never hidden how much I like Postal 2, but this is just bad from every direction.

Penn & Teller: Bullshit. I was pointed in the direction of this show and it's pretty cool. They go through all kinds of frauds, schemes and just plain bullshit that people use to swindle or hustle other people. First three episodes I saw took a swing at 'people who can talk to dead people', 'people who practice some forms of alternative medicine' and 'alien-abduction victims'. :p

EDIT: The episode about penis and breast enlargement was amazingly funny. :p

Last edited:
Well, next up was watching Repo Man again ... jeez I love that movie ... :)

Went and saw The Hangover again.

There's very few times that I've went to the theatre more than once to see the same movie, and this was only the second time I've ever went back for a comedy. It's *that* funny.....

Just saw the latest Harry Potter movie. IMO, it is the best yet. Not as many fight scenes as in the book, but still an excellent movie. There are a few things that were added into the movie that weren't in the book. Those scenes fit right in. They were well thought out and made sense.

This one had the best Quidditch scenes. Definatly a lot better than the first one.

Anyways, if you haven't read the book I won't spoil the ending for you, but I will say it's one of the few movies that I actually got a little misty at the end. Highly recommend anyone go and see it in the theaters.

Did another hot date with the Mrs on Sunday on caught a couple shows.

Drag Me to Hell
We were jones-ing for a horror flick and this, playing at the dollar theatre, was about the only choice available. Wasn't a bad show, but wasn't that great, either. Pretty run-of-the-mill gypsy curse fare. I saw the "twist" at the end coming from a mile away. Wouldn't be a bad rental if nothing else catches your eye.

The Hangover
We were cursed with a dipshit sitting in front of us that felt the need to loudly say "Oh my god" at every part that she thought was funny (and those 50-or-so instances weren't always the funny parts), so my enjoyment was spoiled a bit. That said, this was still a good show. Nothing that will give you sore stomach muscles, but it's very solid humor from start to finish. It's very rare for a comedy to maintain that momentum for an entire 90+ minutes. Worth full theatre price, although there's absolutely nothing that wouldn't translate to the small screen for those patient enough to wait.

My daughters just gone to an early morning screening!!

Decided to watch Logan's Run while making best use of my exercise machine. ... it was about time, as I received the DVD for my birthday last year. Special effects have put on a bit of rust over the course of the last 33 years, it's interesting to see how they tried to achieve the futuristic look, and pacing seems a bit rushed in the beginning (though it's a 2-hour movie, after all), but overall it's still solid entertainment.

We went to see Harry Potter, and I also think it is the best of the series. It clearly had a whole bunch of stuff cut, and many things reworked for time, but it all fit ... I missed the whole 'Weasley is our King' stuff, but as I told the kids that would have added ~20 minutes to an already nearly 3 hour film ...

The really cool thing is that because these kids have grown up together on screen, their characters have a wonderfully natural feel of kids who have known each other for years and all of the interplay came across very naturally and nuanced.

Righteous Kill: This movie was righteously crappy. I don't know what I was expecting, but it was a little more than the mindless "seasoned cops with an attitude" cliches than what this stinker offered. And what "crime drama" would be complete without the gruff but lovable sergeant (played by Brian Dennehy) and the stern internal affairs staff? I knew I was in trouble during the opening credits as we watched Pacino & De Niro do pretty much everything together on and off the job which included their intense workouts that rivaled the volleyball scene in Top Gun for its homoeroticism. I turned this stinker off after the first attempt to bust "Spider" (that 's the best name they could come up with for the evil drug dealer nemesis) using a hawt young lawyer that happened to be a cokehead too (she got hurt in the line of duty ONOES!!!1 and started in with that deathbed redemption nonsense). With this and the sex scenes involving De Niro-- yikes -- this one was promptly returned to Blockbuster after no more than 45 minutes viewing. This movie was all about getting these two wonderful actors together, which was a waste of both their acting prowess.

Frost/Nixon This was a compelling movie with a wonderful performance by Frank Langella, who apparently was reprising his role on film from the stage. Well worth watching with what I perceived were messages to heed for both political parties today.

Harry Potter 6
I'm a little torn on this one. I enjoyed the movie a good bit. Acting, directing, performances...all very well done. But...what happened? In 2 1/2 hours, I should feel like I've "seen" a book. I feel like I've seen a couple chapters. OK, we've got the relationship thing largely hammered out (good, it was starting to get a little ponderous) and we've set the table for the final battle. Oh, we've got a little more detail on our double/triple agent Snape, but we already knew his position was complicated. So then, what's next?

It's like eating really good Chinese food. The meal is wonderful, but two hours later you're ready for a steakburger (I'm sorry, I loved that commercial). November 2010 is a long way away, and that's only going to be 7.1 anyway, with 7.2 to follow in July 2011. My stomach's already growling.

Last edited:
Try Thai instead of Chinese; I find it lasts longer!! :)

dte - think of the books: the first four were fairly compartmental, but the last three formed almost a trilogy as they never fully resolved, and #6 was particularly like that - it was all foreshadowing, with the whole 'half-blood prince' thing being below the surface in some ways.

Back
Top Bottom