What 4x should I play?

Void000

I have been on a Master of Orion kick lately. Deciding between the following three games: Distant World's: Universe, Galactic Civilizations 3, Endless Space 2. Which should I pick, or add a suggestion of your own?

I am seeing mixed reviews on Steam. Is it worth $40 with all expansion content on summer sale?

Don't look at the Steam reviews, it's very misleading specially for Paradox games. The company decided about a month or two ago to increase prices of their games outside the US, and it generated a wave of bad reviews for all Paradox games (nothing to do with the games being good or bad, they're "protest" reviews). Guess it worked though, as earlier today Paradox announced that it'll rollback the price changes all over the world.

Is it worth it? I'd say so yes. The difference with Stellaris is that it goes outside the 4x box and it's almost like a story of your space civilization. There are tons and tons of random events that you can decide one way or another, so it feels much more immersive than just painting star maps with your color.

Stellaris is the type of products that are always worth $40 or even $100 for the matter since people apply a ratio played hours/price to determine the worthiness.

Stellaris will easily suck 40 hours just to get the hang of it. It does not differ from other Paradox's products in that regard.
So it is a one dollar per hour time sink. Worthwhile.

The question is what happens when those 40 hours are passed. This is when it differs from other Paradox products. Usually, people keep spending hours beyond 40 hours. Stellaris...

Stellaris is the least streamed Paradox product. CK2, EUIV, City Skylines have all a dedicated base to stream. Stellaris, no. Even Hearts of Iron IV is better representated.

Stellaris is not the classical Paradox product other than it is worth $40 since the content is enough diluted to require spending 40 hours on it.

Stellaris is pretty dull in my opinion. It has neat features - and it sort of hypnotises you, but it's not that engaging.

GalCiv 3 with the latest expansion is pretty feature-rich - but the game has no soul, which is not a surprise - since Wardell is a lead on it.

Distant Worlds isn't my cup of tea - so I don't know much about it, except that it doesn't have multiplayer which is a cardinal sin for a 4X game to lack.

Endless Space 2 is good if you're into the "adventure" and "immersion" part of the genre - and less good if you enjoy managing colonies and stuff.

Essentially, MoO2 is still the best 4x space game by a wide margin, which is pretty sad considering it's 21 years old.

Are there actually any of these games nowadays as good as the Master Of games? I *still* play Master of Magic, on my tablet now, too, thanks to the MagicDOSBox app.

I think the graphics of these modern 4x are just not appealing to me. I see these cartoony 3D graphics and I get turned off. But are there any modern games like this really worth sticking with to deliver the same type of depth and, I guess, "old school" experience?

Age of Wonders 3 and Endless Legend are quite good. Master of Magic was pretty cartoony, though.

It was, it's just the 3D cartoonish style stands out more to me. I loved the little sprite armies in MoM, the town graphics and overall art style. I don't think it makes a great transition (for my tastes) to 3D, just like the Civilization games, which I prefer the look of the first 3 or so.

I'll have to check out those 2, DArt. Been awhile since I played a game like this.

It was, it's just the 3D cartoonish style stands out more to me. I loved the little sprite armies in MoM, the town graphics and overall art style. I don't think it makes a great transition (for my tastes) to 3D, just like the Civilization games, which I prefer the look of the first 3 or so.

I'll have to check out those 2, DArt. Been awhile since I played a game like this.

AoW3 has sort of the same approach in terms of art. It's somewhere between cartoony and "realistic" - and I really like it.

That said, it's more focused on combat than MoM was - but the combat is also really, really good. It has a ton of RPG elements, which is why I like it.

That said, the strategic aspect doesn't quite match MoM - but overall I'd say they're about on par.

Just be sure to get the two DLC expansions - as it's a little bland without them.

Thanks. I think I'll grab AoW3 + the DLC, then, and give it a go sometime.

I got all the Endless Legend DLC already this sale. The Stellaris game costs $40 with all the expansion content, and the latest only has a 10% discount. IMO, it looked like it lacked personality. I really love character, and the alien races, in Master of Orion. It was colorful, and kept to what made a 4x game integrally fun. No superfluous systems. I loved every minute of it.

I got Gal Civ 3 just for kicks, and I'm deciding if I want Stellaris or Distant Worlds or Endless Space 2 more. Endless Space isn't on sale yet, so I'm holding off deciding, in case it does get a price reduction.. In the meanwhile, I've got an itch nothing can quite scratch like the old timer 4x games.

Also, I have AoW 3. I haven't bought the DLC yet. For some reason, it doesn't grab me in the same way HoMM2-3 did.

My vote goes to Endless Legend, the only 4x I've had as much fun with as MOO2 and Fall from Heaven.

Yeah, EL and AoW3 are pretty good companions. EL is for people who're more into the strategy and empire managment - and AoW3 is for people who're more into the RPG and tactical combat aspects.

Too bad there's really no modern fantasy 4x game that ideally combines both.

Yeah, EL and AoW3 are pretty good companions. EL is for people who're more into the strategy and empire managment - and AoW3 is for people who're more into the RPG and tactical combat aspects.

Too bad there's really no modern fantasy 4x game that ideally combines both.

Eador Genesis combines tactical combat, RPG aspects, empire management and strategy. The newer Eador is pretty good also. They are a bit older but I think Eador Genesis is the greatest 4X game ever made. I have played a lot. Add the mod New Horizons and it is even better. Not the best graphics but they grow on you like Battle Brothers.

My top 5 4x games are:

1) Eador Genesis
2) Heroes Might and Magic 3
3) Civ 4 Fall From Heaven Mod
4) Age of Wonders 2 Shadow Magic
5) HoMM2 or Civ 2 or MoM or MOO2 just some part 2 game :)

Ah, and Eador Genesis's art style is right up my alley, part of the reason I hunted it down in a Steam trade. Good stuff. Glad to know it's really that good.

Endless Legend is definitely a very good one - even with no DLC at all.

There's also this 4X game by the name of Civilization. You might have heard of it. ;)

I got the Founder's edition of Gal Civ 3 and still haven't completed a single game. I keep starting them and then Stardock announces some bug fixes/features coming real-soon-now so I put it down to wait for the patches then forget all about it. Six months later it starts all over again.

Distant Worlds is pretty unique. It's got a lot of systems but you can automate ANY of them. It's extremely configurable, too. Sadly, the graphics are ancient and the whole thing is real-time instead of turn based so I ended up losing interest every time the fighting started. (And, even if you set up a bunch of passive enemies, battles will start eventually.)

The original Sword of the Stars is a really good one and you can get it for just $2.50 right now. Turn based strategy with real-time battles. Lots of technologies to pick from. Each race is pretty unique. The battles are mostly 2D but the strategy part is full on 3D. You get to design your own ships, too. Sheesh, I'm getting myself hyped to play another round!

Jeez, what's with that video on Steam?? Here's the GOG trailer which is far better.

https://youtu.be/YWA1kPgOVlQ

Sword of the Stars 2 was a travesty - released about a year and a half early. Kerberos managed to get it into fairl-OK shape eventually but Paradox shut them down before it really got solid.

Eador Genesis combines tactical combat, RPG aspects, empire management and strategy. The newer Eador is pretty good also. They are a bit older but I think Eador Genesis is the greatest 4X game ever made. I have played a lot. Add the mod New Horizons and it is even better. Not the best graphics but they grow on you like Battle Brothers.

My top 5 4x games are:

1) Eador Genesis
2) Heroes Might and Magic 3
3) Civ 4 Fall From Heaven Mod
4) Age of Wonders 2 Shadow Magic
5) HoMM2 or Civ 2 or MoM or MOO2 just some part 2 game :)

I tried getting into Eador Genesis but it didn't work properly on my system, and it looked like complete ass. Also, the interface was positively archaic.

I'm sure there's a great game in there somewhere, but I'm too old for games that take as long to get comfortable with as it does to actually play them :)

Back
Top Bottom