GamesIndustry.biz - Power to the People - Five Important Developements in 2013

aries100

SasqWatch
Gamesindustry.biz has an editorial about the five most imporant developments in the gaming industry this year. According to to the editorial, the most important one
is this one:

1. Power to the people

A year after the Kickstarter craze first kicked off, crowdfunding is still evolving. In 2012, virtually nobody was pretending crowdfunding could be a viable alternative for the creation of full-scale AAA quality games. Today, with Chris Roberts' Star Citizen at $34 million and counting, that might be a discussion we could start having.n 2012, Kickstarter reported $83 million pledged to game projects, compared to about $4.2 million in the three years prior. Games have now passed the $200 million mark since the platform's founding, with more than half of those pledges coming in 2013.
The fifth most important development is this one:

5. Consoles not dead after all Heading into 2013, there was a lot of pessimism surrounding the console market. Next-gen systems would be losing ground. Consoles couldn't compete with PCs, and indeed would be outright replaced by them. Developers were shifting focus away from consoles.........
Once the PS4 and Xbox One launched, it became clear the enthusiasm for the new hardware wasn't just smoke and mirrors. Both systems sold through 1 million units in their first day, and 2 million within a few weeks.
Do you agree with Gamesindustry.biz?

More information.

Agree with #1. Disagree with #5. Console market, no matter how fancy hardware is, will lose the war against phone(game)s.

Agree with #1. Disagree with #5. Console market, no matter how fancy hardware is, will lose the war against phone(game)s.

Never change:)

Will be interesting to see if the growth of KS continues next year. A lot of recent campaigns have struggled to hit their funding levels. There's obviously a bunch of potential factors behind this but I think it'll be interesting to see how some of the Feb. campaign relaunches fare.

I don't think consoles are going anywhere. Even if exclusives become rarer, the ease of use is a huge selling point for a lot of people. I was surprised to see how well Microsoft recovered from their stumbles. I always expected it to sell well in the U.S., just curious how much ground they lost to Sony on the global market.

I think the ps4 has a potential to go somewhere; less sure about xbox but only time will tell. I myself never use a console but would consider one if they used kb/mouse and games on console had fluent kb/mouse controls. As background in a lot of ways my windows box is little more than a console; I turn it on - I play games - I shut it off. I use my linux box for everything else that requires a computer (mail, browsing, work, ...).
-
However I simply prefer to use kb/mouse for 99% of the games - maybe because that's how I learn to play or maybe because a kb/mouse is simply a more flexible diverse interface for games (the only exception are flight games where I prefer a real joystick but I haven't played one since freespace 2 and I haven't updated my joystick since my last compute with a joystick went bye bye 7 or 8 (or maybe it was 10) years ago.

Will be interesting to see if the growth of KS continues next year. A lot of recent campaigns have struggled to hit their funding levels. There's obviously a bunch of potential factors behind this but I think it'll be interesting to see how some of the Feb. campaign relaunches fare.

I don't think consoles are going anywhere. Even if exclusives become rarer, the ease of use is a huge selling point for a lot of people. I was surprised to see how well Microsoft recovered from their stumbles. I always expected it to sell well in the U.S., just curious how much ground they lost to Sony on the global market.

It's a critical year for crowdfunding. If there's even 1 total flop from the big ones coming out, it could change the landscape.

Consoles not dead after all

Shouldn't it rather read : "PCs not dead after all ?"

Back
Top Bottom