Mass Effect 2 - BioWare's iRPG

Dhruin

SasqWatch
The debate on Mass Effect 2 continues with 1Up's The Grind column arguing ME2 is like an Apple Mac. I'm not sure if this analogy is going to win fans or not:
In the meantime, I think Mass Effect 2 is a much purer realization of BioWare's original vision for the series. This is where the "Mac" part of the equation starts to come into play. The stats are still there, but they've been well-hidden. Glance at the information window, and you might notice that various weapons have better armor penetration, or work well against shields. Armor accessories will add damage to headshots, or change the shield recharge rate.

In a normal RPG, these would be rendered as individual statistics. In Mass Effect 2, they are rendered as nice, friendly percentage points. As with a Mac, a player can remain blissfully unaware of everything that's going on under the hood while using a system that still has a fair amount of utility.
More information.

Typical brain-dead anti-Mac drivel. Should be popular here. ;)

Seriously ... the article shows an insubstantial knowledge of the Mac, as otherwise it would be an article showing how despite not seeming so, Mass Effect 2 has more depth than many other games reputes as hardcore :D

Typical brain-dead anti-Mac drivel. Should be popular here. ;)

Seriously … the article shows an insubstantial knowledge of the Mac, as otherwise it would be an article showing how despite not seeming so, Mass Effect 2 has more depth than many other games reputes as hardcore :D

I could give or take the Mac analogy since I don't use them myself, but I'm curious as to what games you are referring to that claim to be 'hardcore' (I'm assuming you mean hardcore RPGs) that don't have as much depth as ME2.

I could give or take the Mac analogy since I don't use them myself, but I'm curious as to what games you are referring to that claim to be 'hardcore' (I'm assuming you mean hardcore RPGs) that don't have as much depth as ME2.

I can't think of any - Mass Effect 2 was pretty clearly developed and marketed as a shooter-first game where story and characters are the primary focus.

My entire point was that the core of his analogy was flawed by the fact that he used something as a comparison without a clue what he was talking about.

Back
Top Bottom