The Bard's Tale IV - first in-engine footage

Really, Fable? I've no idea what you're smoking…

So many naysayers lately.

Sorry, but to me it looked kinda Fable game: corridors a la forest, gate rising up from the ground, glowing balls, which leads the way to quest, speaking mouth on the wall, "childish" monsters, evil laughing wizard - it all had very Fablish vibe.
I think nice graphics are nothing special today and be excited only because it is some old franchise, why?
Maybe it's time to move forward and make something new than trying to recreate glorious times of gaming past again and again?

Have you considered wiz8 style combat ?

Our plan right now is to zoom the camera out during combat. The exact plan isn't quite defined right now because it will depend on our funding level, but we've talked about stuff like either showing the party as portraits, or full 3D animated characters.

It will be really really annoying if they take you out of first person mode for combat. I do understand you get bit more tactical options on 3rd person but I loved the immersion factor first person gives me and its why I really like Wiz8 and MMX.

Maybe they can do both mode for combat, first and 3rd !

A split camera mode might be an interesting option; one panel shows the view from the character perspective for animation and visual effects, while the other gives a tactical map for movement and targeting.

I'm not sure that I need ridiculously over the top graphics in this style of game, really - and even if the graphics are pretty (and so is the music and it's probably not the music you'd hear while out and about adventuring) I'm way, way more concerned with gameplay and content. Fancy graphics are most likely going to increase the dev time and increase the price and don't really impact whether the game is any good to play or not.

"The underdog beats the world champion…"

I surely hope that most people don't judge how good a game is purely by what their pre release trailers and graphics look like or decide whether a game is good or not based on its graphics.

Quite simply, these games are the embodiment of "less is more". Wizardry had nothing but wireframes. You imagined most of what happened. When you start making very detailed visual puzzles and show everything it's not the same thing.

Quite simply, these games are the embodiment of "less is more". Wizardry had nothing but wireframes. You imagined most of what happened. When you start making very detailed visual puzzles and show everything it's not the same thing.

hmm... nope, sorry. Less is not more (that's just a phrase invented by those who had less).

I surely hope that most people don't judge how good a game is purely by what their pre release trailers and graphics look like or decide whether a game is good or not based on its graphics.
The mass market does. Seems InXile wants to bring this game to new players as well.
Also you have to consider the game is coming out in 2017, people are going to judge new game graphics then even more than today. And ask that their new shiny graphic cards be put to work.

I like what I see. It makes me a little excited, as it reminds of Wizardry: Tale of the Forsaken Land. That was a game that took a modern approach to the traditional turn based wizardry style rpg. It was an almost perfect example of how you can take 80's game play mechanics and still make it relevant in today's gaming world.

Back
Top Bottom