Arcania - My Impressions

TheMadGamer

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
Arcania: Gothic 4
Review: TheMadGamer of RPGWatch.com
Platform Reviewed: PC, US

Arcania: Gothic 4 (Arcania) doesn’t live up to the prior games in the series and normally I wouldn’t take the time to write a player review for a game I perceived as a ‘lesser’ game. But as a series, I’m definitely a dedicated Gothic fan and as such felt compelled to write down some words, again from a gamer’s perspective, to provide some constructive criticism.

First and foremost, Arcania is not the same kind of game as its successors. I’ll get into the details of what I mean further down, but as a Gothic fan, Arcania is a big departure from the established Gothic formula. In theory, such an outcome isn’t necessarily a bad thing but in the case of Arcania it is.

Important gameplay elements that were the foundation of prior games in the series were either stripped out entirely, or substantially reduced as to make them trivial. The tragedy of all this is that the final game seems to appeal to no one as evidenced by numerous published reviews (that lean negative or are fiercely negative) as well as the overall negative responses by players on various message forums.

To add insult to injury, the execution of the game itself is done quite well. I experienced ZERO bugs while playing the game and enjoyed smooth frame rates throughout my play – the first time I can say that for any Gothic game. The programmers at Spellbound are quite talented in terms of the engine they created and the overall art direction. The game world is stunning to look at. So it is sad that compelling gameplay just isn't there.

As I started my game on Feshyr Island, the reality of the linearity of this iteration of the Gothic series sank in. This just didn’t ring true with my prior Gothic experience and so I went through a series of fits and starts before I sort of got over this and decided to play the game through to the end. Once I had gone through this adjustment, I did find things to enjoy with this game. But my enjoyment was never as deep or intense as it was with prior Gothic games. In a few ways, Arcania felt like a beefed up variety of the Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance games found on consoles. I played both Dark Alliance and Dark Alliance 2 and found them simple yet entertaining games.

For me, the game worlds of the prior Gothic games were as much a character within the game as any NPC. They were worlds with secrets to be found, obstacles to overcome, puzzles to solve, mysteries to discover, and plots to unravel. In addition to all of that, there was a good level of freedom that the player had in terms of the order he or she might take in tackling these things. Within this framework, there were still some story-driven elements that prevented the player from accessing some locations, but they made sense in the context of the story.

Aracnia is very different in this regard. The developer seemed to take a very one sided approach to designing Arcania – that point of view being that the game world should be segmented into small chunks with some kind of barrier blocking your progress until other conditions are met. This approach is what creates the linear feel that persists throughout the entire game.

But there is also another possibility why the developers chose this type of linear design that continues to nag at me. Creating any level of ‘open world-ness’ definitely adds more challenge to the development of an RPG. I’m inclined to surmise that Arcania is as linear as it is simply to reduce the development time and perhaps overall costs of production. This is a tragedy, because clearly the engine for Arcania can definitely accommodate a true Gothic-like world found in past iterations of the series.

Quests and NPC dialogs suffer the same kind of linearity-syndrome as world exploration. With the exception of several quests, most quests and NPC dialogs have a singular outcome, severely reducing any notion of role playing. In fact, most quest dialogs simply act as a pause between NPC monologues. Most conversations in Arcania could just have easily been a non-stop dialog between your character and the NPC without any intervention by the player at all –because there are no real dialog choice to make. The situation reminded me of the first Dungeon Siege game – how many players commented that there was so little choice to make during combat that the game practically just played itself. I felt this way about NPC conversations in Arcania.

Crafting and potion making is sort of a mixed bag in Arcania. I actually liked the fact that there were more than just a handful of things you could craft. Gothic 3 was horrifically low in crafting content relative to the sheer size of that game. While Arcania had a lot more content in this area, I rarely felt compelled to craft anything as I didn’t really struggle with many fights. And even the few times I did struggle, it was mostly because I wasn’t paying attention close enough – a problem solved with a reload.

And then there are the traditional problems with crafting and potion making. That you are not required to use certain in-game assets such as an alchemy table to brew potions, a campfire to cook food, or an anvil & forge to construct a weapon results in the player not having to plan ahead and be prepared for would-be difficult battles. The absence of this gameplay requirement further trivializes roleplaying and enemy encounters.

A special note about brewing potions as it relates to gathering materials. In true linear fashion, the developers populated each section of the game world with a predominant type of flora for potions instead of placing them in realistic ways. When I first encountered King’s Sorrel I felt the same sort of excitement I felt playing Gothic 2 and Gothic 3 when I found King’s Sorrel – because in G2 and G3 they were rare. But in Arcania, once you get to the map area where they grow, you will find them everywhere in spades – making them just another flora to find. The entire situation reminds me of Pac Man, where each stage presents a new bonus fruit to eat.

Overall, Arcania wasn’t horrible. I don’t regret playing it. Like I said earlier, it reminded me of the Dark Alliance games and I thought those were fun, simple little RPG romps. But Arcania carried with it the Gothic moniker which establishes expectations that certain gameplay elements will exist – which simply do not exist in Arcania. And tragically, the game seems to miss hitting any demographic audience with the design choices that were made.

Yep, I'd agree though it also reminded me of the original Dungeon Siege where you simply follow a path from one encounter to the next!!

I don't regret my time with it really. I got to the castle area on the far side of the island before I stopped playing. I will probably finish it eventually. I don't really consider it much of an RPG but as a hack n' slash game it was alright, it's main issues being horrible voice acting and writing.

If it didn't have the Gothic name on it then it would have been considered an average hack n' slash game and not been so hated.

A very informative review as usual MadGamer. I wouldn't have been nearly as kind, as I actually found this game to be offensive to my RPG senses. ;)

Yep, I'd agree though it also reminded me of the original Dungeon Siege where you simply follow a path from one encounter to the next!!

Yep… sort of like the Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance games - very similar.

If it didn't have the Gothic name on it then it would have been considered an average hack n' slash game and not been so hated.

I agree, totally. But when Coke doesn't advertise itself to be Pepsi (or vice versa), all is right with the universe.

A very informative review as usual MadGamer. I wouldn't have been nearly as kind, as I actually found this game to be offensive to my RPG senses. ;)

Thanks JDR13!

I found it offensive myself. That is why I briefly said in my comments that I went through a series of 'fits and starts.' This lasted about a full month. I'd start playing, get disgusted and stop. Then I'd start again. This went on for a month until I finally decided to just play it from start to finish.

Important gameplay elements that were the foundation of prior games in the series were either stripped out entirely, or substantially reduced as to make them trivial. The tragedy of all this is that the final game seems to appeal to no one as evidenced by numerous published reviews (that lean negative or are fiercely negative) as well as the overall negative responses by players on various message forums.

It made me wonder why those devs wanted to make a Gothic game because they obvioulsy have no love at all for the previous games. And I'd be very surprised if they haven't killed the series stone dead.

It made me wonder why those devs wanted to make a Gothic game because they obvioulsy have no love at all for the previous games. And I'd be very surprised if they haven't killed the series stone dead.

Funny you write that. I had a paragraph in my original write up that I ended up removing because I couldn't write what I wanted to say without it being a wordy mess.

But essentially, my thoughts were on how agitated your character became each time he was asked to perform a task by an NPC. It was as if the devs were so irriated making an RPG with quests that it spilled into the actual game by way of your character getting completely pissed off each time he was asked to do something.

Nice write up!

And tragically, the game seems to miss hitting any demographic audience with the design choices that were made.
Though personally I´d change "And tragically" into "But thankfully" here :).

Though personally I´d change "And tragically" into "But thankfully" here :).

LOL yea - you've got a point there... :p

Honestly let it die, cause Arcania's failure was 1000 fold worse than the state Gothic III launched in. The original developers of the Gothic series ~Piranha Bytes~ have proven they are the masters of said style of gameplay with their new series Risen. Eagerly awaiting Risen II now...

Whoever owns the Gothic series must be kicking themselves over and over for firing that talent, especially after how great Risen turned out, yet their new devs, not only have gone bankrupt, but the sales were really bad....they deserved it.

It's my understanding that Jowood only had the right to develop and publish Gothic "4"+ expansion(s). I'm not sure what the legal status of the series is after that.

... yet their new devs [Spellbound], not only have gone bankrupt, but the sales were really bad….they deserved it.

I have mixed feelings about this comment. I think Spellbound created quite a competent engine for Arcania... clearly they are good programmers.

But when it came to the overall desgin and flow of the game (especially in terms of open-world-ness) they either didn't understand what made prior Gothic games so fun, were under too many time constraints to deliver such content, or really were bastards and butchered the series deliberatley. I happen to think it's the 2nd option - they weren't given enough time for development because that is the kind of pressure Jowood has applied in the past.

I have mixed feelings about this comment. I think Spellbound created quite a competent engine for Arcania… clearly they are good programmers.

Sorry, that came out wrong. I didn't mean to imply that towards Spellbound, but rather JoWood. They had some amazing developer talent with Piranha Bytes, but they pushed them too hard for Gothic III to release early. It obviously wasn't ready and didn't do so well, and then they fired PB for no reason! Gothic I & II were great but III was just epic in scope compared to the others and needed more time.

Then JoWood does the same thing with new developers that prolly could have done a good job with Arcania, but more than likely fell into the same trap of "not enough dev time" thus the Gothic name with Arcania IMHO was ruined...

JoWood deserves it...

2 thumbs up to TheMadGamer for playing the game so long , i gave up after the beach quest because the game gave me the feeling of self inflicted retardation .

I usually like Jowood'd games but i guess they have no taste on RPGs

2 thumbs up to TheMadGamer for playing the game so long , i gave up after the beach quest because the game gave me the feeling of self inflicted retardation .

lol.

Since I am a little retarded, I hardly noticed the retardation +5 effects.

Back
Top Bottom