KB: Warriors of the North - More Reviews

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Here are 3 more recent reviews of Kings Bounty: Warrior of the North.

• Just Press Start
    KB:WotN is a deliberately paced game, so don’t go into it expecting to blaze through the plot in a matter of hours. There are times where I wish things moved a bit faster, but that’s probably because I was simply eager to see what happened next. There is a LOT to do and see in this title, so the $30 asking price seems justified. The issues mentioned above do warrant a more guarded recommendation, though. Overall, if you’re looking for some epic questing with a Viking theme, Endoria is where you belong.
  • Phenom Inc Game Informer
    Outside of the tightly constrained availability of troops and prevalence of undead enemies in the first third of the game, this is easily the best King’s Bounty to date. Something is going to have to change eventually, and the legacy issues like boss fights and recruitment tedium get less acceptable every year, but I’m still having a blast with Warriors of the North. Whether you’re new to the series or a 300-hour veteran, there’s much to recommend here. I just hope I’m not writing these same things next year.
  • RPGFan, 68%
    Repetition and game-breaking bugs cannot be excused. While I understand that some bugs just slip by and patches will likely rectify issues like the one I experienced, this is what separates top-notch games from the rest. On top of that, why am I still starting the game with spiders, snakes, and thieves? What has changed besides the skin on the models or even the palette? Why is the first boss a spider? I conclude with questions only because I do not understand the lackluster design decisions. Then again, "decisions" implies that thought went into the game.
More information.

If your game crashes during battles it's because of the Last Hero spell. If you have Scalds in your army then they will frequently cast it and the game will frequently crash. I avoided the spell and the unit and the games doesn't crash.

Oddly in my case that wasn't happening. :)
Then again I didn't use that spell frequently as there were much better ones all the time so can't be sure. I honestly did have a few crashes to desktop for no apparent reason, but I really can't connect them to that spell. But if it's crashtrigger spell, then yes, it's best to avoid it.

Also not sure what is RPGfan dude talking about, what gamebreaking bugs? Yes a few quests are not solvable (in my case it was 8 of them), but 112 quests are solvable and the game is finishable. The patch however fixes a few of these bugged quests, unfortunatelly only for a newly started games.

It isn't even released in Germany. Oh my.
(It seems that it didn't find any distributor yet.)

If your game crashes during battles it's because of the Last Hero spell. If you have Scalds in your army then they will frequently cast it and the game will frequently crash. I avoided the spell and the unit and the games doesn't crash.

This bug was fixed a long time ago, like a couple of days after release (automatically patched in Steam).

Also not sure what is RPGfan dude talking about, what gamebreaking bugs? Yes a few quests are not solvable (in my case it was 8 of them), but 112 quests are solvable and the game is finishable. The patch however fixes a few of these bugged quests, unfortunatelly only for a newly started games.

As more and more spoiled children become game "journalists," I've noticed the definition of "game-breaking bug" has changed. For example, reading reviews of Assassin's Creed III last night, getting your character stuck in a wall and having to hit the reset button on your Xbox is now considered a game-breaking bug.

As more and more spoiled children become game "journalists," I've noticed the definition of "game-breaking bug" has changed. For example, reading reviews of Assassin's Creed III last night, getting your character stuck in a wall and having to hit the reset button on your Xbox is now considered a game-breaking bug.

Ouch. Lucky for them they never played Daggerfall then… ;)

I wonder what the reaction would be if a major company released basically the same game with a facelift multiple times.

I wonder what the reaction would be if a major company released basically the same game with a facelift multiple times.

It's got a facelift?!

I'd be outraged if I didn't like the King's Bounty gameplay so much. But I wish they'd at least reskin it as sci-fi or something next time.

I loved the previous KB games, but I stopped playing this one because it just wasn't remotely challenging like the others. I loved the constant uphill struggle in the other games, where you had to scrounge for every advantage and every gold pile you could get to progress. In WoTN I've just been snoozing through trivial fight after trivial fight while I find more gold then I know what to do with. But perhaps I didn't give it enough time.

I loved the previous KB games, but I stopped playing this one because it just wasn't remotely challenging like the others. I loved the constant uphill struggle in the other games, where you had to scrounge for every advantage and every gold pile you could get to progress. In WoTN I've just been snoozing through trivial fight after trivial fight while I find more gold then I know what to do with. But perhaps I didn't give it enough time.

I am doing soothsayer on impossible, and have to say its quite hard. I have to search for a doable fight and sometimes my money reserves are nihil.

perhaps try that.

Maybe I will. Was the game hard right away, or did you have to wait til you were a ways into the game?

I read someone saying that the skald (?) class was overpowered, so maybe that's part of the reason it was too easy for me as well. None of his abilities seem particularly overpowered, but I guess maybe he gets more leadership (?).

I am doing soothsayer on impossible, and have to say its quite hard. I have to search for a doable fight and sometimes my money reserves are nihil.

perhaps try that.

It would sell millions of copies. What else would you call the X number of installment of games like CoD? Although I admit I don't play those, maybe each new CoD game has new intersting innovations and tons of new content. But somehow I doubt it.

And what about all the sports games? Sure they've changed alot in the last 20 years, but if you compare last years to this years edition to this years the changes are pretty slim.

And armored princess was actually never marketed as "Kings Bounty: The legend 2", it was marketed as a standalone expansion. As is WoTN. And I love all three, although I agree it's time to move on and make a proper sequel.

Maybe I will. Was the game hard right away, or did you have to wait til you were a ways into the game?

I read someone saying that the skald (?) class was overpowered, so maybe that's part of the reason it was too easy for me as well. None of his abilities seem particularly overpowered, but I guess maybe he gets more leadership (?).

Let say after 4 hours you need to be careful which fight you pick. (for me that is and iam not a hardcore reload my game every minute)

I am on hardcore with a Scald. It seemed easy until the 1st boss. The areas after this seem pretty hard, but I'm just a few hours in. Though I have to admit that the Armoured Princess seemed more difficult and I recall having to choose fights very carefully.

The massive writing errors are annoying. It's like they translated everything on the very last week. Otherwise the story is nice. I like the sense of adventure and discovery of a young Viking chief who is forced to leave his tiny home :).

I'm playing skald on hard and don't find it easy. Well, depends on what's "easy" for you. Sure I can beat almost all fights I find, but it's not easy to win 'strong' and higher battles without losing some units (when will I find that resurrection spell!). I'm not playing a no-loss game, but I do try my best to not lose any units, and that's where I find the challenge.

Yeah I would it would consider it to be easy if the only challenge is whether your victories are flawless or not. Previous games were certainly considerably more challenging then that. But I'll try a different class, and upping the dificulty from hard to impossible, and see how that goes.

Before restarting on Impossible with a different class, I recommend that you at least reach the first boss (the one where you can't use your Rage abilities). The game changes drastically after this and you will be pleasantly surprised. I wanted to restart as well but am now happy that I did not.

Before restarting on Impossible with a different class, I recommend that you at least reach the first boss (the one where you can't use your Rage abilities). The game changes drastically after this and you will be pleasantly surprised. I wanted to restart as well but am now happy that I did not.

Your are correct. By the way do you find the orc armies harder then expected too?
a strong army of orcs gives me useally a much harder time then a strong army of lets devilfish.

Back
Top Bottom