Next rpg to play?

stamar

Watcher
Ok so I finished Dragon age.

Honestly approachingg the end of it I started to escape through all the talking. Enough is enough.

I think my companion betrayed me and it is overall quite a good story.

I have a decent laptop so it can play anything

I think risen is my top pick

But I havent played these ones

Divinity 2 dks

Drakkensang

venetica

the witcher

depends on how many brain cells you want to exercise. Divinity 2, Venetica and the Witcher are pretty much straight action RPGs, little thinking just go along for the ride. Drakkensang on the other hand will require some reading and experimenting, as the system it's based on is quite complex to understand at first, but very rewarding once you do.

Thanks for the spoiler, eh? (Your lucky that , indeed, I don`t care that much about DA:O anymore :)

These games you mention are all rather different. I`d go with Drakensang myself.

After playing Dragon Age I played The Witcher, and it took me a couple of hours to adapt to the Witcher's combat system. I almost gave up, but I'm glad I didn't. It was really fun to play.
But if you want a easier transition you should choose DKS. IMO it was last year's best aRPG.

Doesn't matter all 4 are good games.

While all are good, if you want a change of pace, I'd stick with Risen- no party, no romance, limited chat!! :)

depends on how many brain cells you want to exercise. Divinity 2, Venetica and the Witcher are pretty much straight action RPGs, little thinking just go along for the ride. Drakkensang on the other hand will require some reading and experimenting, as the system it's based on is quite complex to understand at first, but very rewarding once you do.
??? I wonder what you found complicated in Drakensang, there's one thing to quote it's that you can see the requirements in game, once you know that and how get this information, you won't wonder anything.

With no match the puzzles and tricks and secrets of DKS will make it the most brain cells consumer. Other don't match at all, but I haven't played Venetica, didn't even knew it was a very worthy one. I think I lived on another dimension since many years. :) Well Drakensang has an awfully difficult treasure hunting quest but otherwise doesn't match DKS from the brain cells use point of view.

Myself I would advise The Witcher, because DAO players think often that at least Bioware shown a big talent in writing and story design, but The Witcher shows how in general WRPG is quite weak from the writing point of view, even DAO doesn't match.

Drakensang rules in game and in manual are not well explained at all. And there are typos as well (in game and in manual). The only way I could figure it out was reading up on a few net explanations of the rules. After that, the game became phenomenal. I LIKE to know the rules before building my characters (silly me). ;)

If anyone wants some links to the rules in English, let me know.

If you have time buy and play all of them. Because all of them are good. Witcher is an action RPG, but not much emphasize on action part like Venetica and Divinity: DKS. It requires planning on hard difficulty. Apart from that it presents a mature world, dark and bleak atmosphere. Drakensang is more like standart Tolkien stuff. It has RTwP combat system. But, not very tactical game according to its counterparts, because of some shortcomings in the system. Divinity 2 with its' humorous dialog and quest writing, decent action is a must play game. I'm now at the end of the expansion and I can say easily that FoV expansion is one of the best roleplaying experience I have played in the last couple of years. I loved FoV even more than Ego Draconis the main game. Venetica is more like Fable games. If you have played and loved Fable then try Venetica. If you didn't like it, probably you won't like that too. Risen is a masterpiece from Piranha Bytes and it continues the Gothic games' tradition.

And if you haven't played yet I also recommend Fallout New Vegas. But games you mentioned and FNW deserve to be played and finished at least once.

I have fallout new vegas im at about level 10.

I think I should try risen.

I have fallout new vegas im at about level 10.

I think I should try risen.

Risen is one of the best realistic combat system I have seen in a RPG (especially melee fights with humonoids). You must calculate your every move, block and dodge at the right time (Like Blade Of Darkness - my all time favourite combat simulation game).

Risen follows the steps of first two Gothic games. Despite some of its' shortcomings (like ridiculous end boss fight and becomes more or less a dungeon crawl after chapter 2) it's a must play game for every RPGamer who likes his/her role playing with action sauce.

I'd go with Risen yes. It can be a bit challenging, but well worth it. :)

I don´t recommend Drakensang, it´s a subpar game imo.
Its rules are complex and all, but the game doesn´t take good advantage of them - crafting is redundant, combat encounters tactically uninteresting, social skills barely used. The game is unremarkable all around and takes about 60 hours to finish while there´s barely 20 hours worth of (mostly unremarkable) content.
There´s ridiculous amount of filler combat (compared to Dragon Age, Drakensang has more of it and has less variety).
The River of Time is a greatly improved game in just about every aspect. Play that if you´re in the mood for a good "modern oldschool" romp.

Risen, The Witcher and Dragon Knight Saga are all great action RPGs.

Last edited:
I mostly completed all the games in your list except for Div Div 2. I'll get to that later in the year. I think Risen is by far your best choice but the end game leaves a lot to be desired. I liked all the games on your list so I can't really pick one to start, but of that list. the "LAST" one would Drakensang. I just finished Venetica and loved it but Witcher is far more polished. Right now it would be hard to pick between the two. OTH, just do like I did, and try to get to them all.

I don't think Drakensang is complex at all even though it is someone undocumented. There is one area with some pretty silly difficult puzzles but its well documented how to solve them if you get stuck. I wouldn't play it hot off of Dragon Age though, play something less comparative and then come back otherwise you'll just compare them the whole time.

Risen.

drakensang (both of them - river of time is out now for download) and the witcher are both top notch. you cant go wrong. they arent all time classics, but they are close. and any fan of baldurs gate/dragon age type games will enjoy the drakensang titles. I recomend the popular mod thing it ergos(sp?) for river of time.

He has one for the dark eye too, but I wouldnt suggest it for the first play through unless you have a good handle on the rule set and its a lot more difficult. he didnt add any real difficulty to his mod for the river of time.

I don´t recommend Drakensang, it´s a subpar game imo.
Its rules are complex and all, but the game doesn´t take good advantage of them - crafting is redundant, combat encounters tactically uninteresting, social skills barely used. The game is unremarkable all around and takes about 60 hours to finish while there´s barely 20 hours worth of (mostly unremarkable) content.

The River of Time is a greatly improved game in just about every aspect. Play that if you´re in the mood for a good "modern oldschool" romp.

Risen, The Witcher and Dragon Knight Saga are all great action RPGs.

I think your cirticisms are overstated. I think river of time did improve many of them. maybe using ergos mod on darkeye would change your opinion of that game. it introduces huge tactical gameplay. read his mod notes. when your entire party is much weaker it gets a lot more tactical and fun.

what pissed me off about river of time was the amount of time i spent building wealth and material stockpiles I didnt neet. If I had the advice of just collecting stuff as I need it instead of just in case I need it.. woulda been a lot faster.

still river of time was a lot of fun. played it through 1.5 times back to back (restarted halfway through to use a mod).

what pissed me off about river of time was the amount of time i spent building wealth and material stockpiles I didnt neet.

Why ? Apart from the "fire fungus", there is not much to collect - only the beginning is very difficult because of the few resources & money, but it is meant to be so ...

Why do all people want to start with hunge amounts of money plus insanely powerful items first ? Have you never played Evil Islands ?

Back
Top Bottom