Strange Stuff in Stranger of Sword City!

ElderGnome

Gnome of the World
High, high up in the mountains of the southwestern
OK, I am enjoying the HECK out of this game. It tried to like Might and Magic X when it came out this much, but I couldn't. This is the best dungeon crawler I've played in a long time, and I usually am not a huge fan of Japanese-ported games.

Anyone else playing it and what have your experiences been?

Still waiting on a review copy from the publisher. Was going to review this for the 'Watch.

Looks great to me, though. I love dungeon-crawlers. :)

I've heard good things on this one but haven't tried it myself as of yet. After finishing a bunch of Final Fantasy games, I ducked back into Wasteland two to clear up some unfinished business.

I have a copy and hope to start it soon. I'd like to finish my second playthrough of Might and Magic X first, that will take me another 2-3 weeks, I'd guess. I'm surprised you didn't like it, but tastes differ.

There's actually Eastern vs. Western art choice in the game? Wow. That's...interesting.

There's actually Eastern vs. Western art choice in the game? Wow. That's…interesting.

I think its only with the character portraits. The original games only had a more classical stye of art, but anime style stuff was added for the American release. That's what I've read, at least. I also think you can mix and match with your characters.

I think its only with the character portraits. The original games only had a more classical stye of art, but anime style stuff was added for the American release. That's what I've read, at least. I also think you can mix and match with your characters.

That's seriously amazing. I get more and more impressed with this one all the time.

That is definitely a neat idea that more games should look into. Options. :)

I like that both "hardcore" options and "easy mode" options are being looked at now in RPGs, too. More customization of that sort of thing can be great, I think.

I'm playing with the "western" style character portraits; I'm not a huge fan of anime art styles and I very much think the western fantasy art looks like it would be right at home in a Dungeons & Dragons tabletop game manual.

The "Beginner" mode is still very hard; you can wipe quite easily if you don't run from a battle that is over your head, even in the tutorial dungeon. The first time I ran into enemies that couldn't be harmed except by anything by holy weapons (a spell your cleric has that must be cast before they do damage against 'immortals') let's just say I wiped. I also still wipe when I try to fight the weird "Angel of Death" thingy that seems to guard silver treasure boxes.

:D

I'm trying to play without class changing; we'll see how that goes. I recommend the game's wiki for character creation tips because it's easy to not really understand how to put together a successful group without reading some guides. (I have no idea if the manual exists.)

I wiped in the tutorial because the overpowered character who joins you got poisoned, which there was no way to cure and she slowly lost health as we explored until she just died. At which point I learned that there was no autosave or checkpoints so I'd have to completely reroll my character and start again.

It's an interesting game, but extremely rough around the edges at times. I will give it another try soon.

I'm playing with the "western" style character portraits; I'm not a huge fan of anime art styles and I very much think the western fantasy art looks like it would be right at home in a Dungeons & Dragons tabletop game manual.

The "Beginner" mode is still very hard; you can wipe quite easily if you don't run from a battle that is over your head, even in the tutorial dungeon. The first time I ran into enemies that couldn't be harmed except by anything by holy weapons (a spell your cleric has that must be cast before they do damage against 'immortals') let's just say I wiped. I also still wipe when I try to fight the weird "Angel of Death" thingy that seems to guard silver treasure boxes.

:D

I'm trying to play without class changing; we'll see how that goes. I recommend the game's wiki for character creation tips because it's easy to not really understand how to put together a successful group without reading some guides. (I have no idea if the manual exists.)

Last edited:
tip #1:
flee, if you are loosing a battle.

tip #2:
have backup characters available, if you have to revive your characters.

tip #3:
play on beginner if you are not experienced in challenging Wizardry style games.

I play on normal and so far I´m fine
probably because I thougth it was funny to use only the avatars of of small children as my frontline figthers
anyway I´m having a blast

I'm finding the mechanic that forces you to rotate characters out to be interesting, but I really wish there was more variety in character choices. When my cleric has to rest and recover (which seems to happen a lot), there is no option to replace her with othen than another cleric. It would be much more interesting if there was say a druid and a paladin class who could also heal, and who could fill in when my cleric was out, then my needing to have 3 identical clerics in my roster.

I´m starting to have problems so learn from me don´t choose children and set there age at 50 you really want those lifepoints

I´m still having fun by the way
just need to be more careful

Yeah I made sure all of my characters had 3 life points. They got knocked out all the time so I can't imagine trying to have a character with only 1.

I'm not really sure that I love the whole life point system in general, it seems like an interesting idea but one that needed alot more playtesting before being implemented. As I said above, I'd like it a lot better if there were more class options so that my backup roster wasn't identical to my starting roster.

Back
Top Bottom