ELEX 2 - Nearly finished?

Note it was part of march humble bundle

My only complaint with Elex was its length. Took me 100 hours to finish, therefore a replay is almost out of question.

You can easily finish it in less than half that time if you just focus on the main quests.

I spent well over 100 hours, but I was also very anal about completing every single quest and exploring every inch of the map.

My only complaint with Elex was its length. Took me 100 hours to finish, therefore a replay is almost out of question.
Lol, long yes, too long no. I played it four or five times and have about 460 hours in it so your estimation seems right. This is the only game where I actively played all variations needed to get all 50 achievements.

Liked the first one. Will keep an eye on this as it develops.

Add me to the list of people who quite enjoyed Elex, but the punishing difficulty even on easy was a real turn off and I eventually gave up. Love Gothic 2/Risen 1 2 3 etc. Maybe I'll try Elex again but it is also a timesink of epic proportions.

Elex is only difficult, if you try to beat harder enemies too early.

Like in Gothic you sometimes have to run and build your character first.

I like the fact that choosing a faction forces you to choose a "class". I like the fact I have to choose something that actually effects the gameplay, unlike in for example ES where few choices matter.

Personally I went with the Zerkers because I found them the least annoying. I wouldn't mind choosing between several "good" options instead though.

Last edited:
Add me to the list of people who quite enjoyed Elex, but the punishing difficulty even on easy was a real turn off and I eventually gave up. Love Gothic 2/Risen 1 2 3 etc. Maybe I'll try Elex again but it is also a timesink of epic proportions.

That was the best part for me, I love the fact I had to run away from most enemies the first hours of the game. That made character progression actually mean something, the no scaling approach of PB is a huge reason I'm a fan.

They aren’t much in favour of creating some publicity around their game, are they?

No longer their job. ;)
PB said THQ wanted to announce during the GC 2020. The show was cancelled, so the plan was changed.

Haven't played it yet, but I was under the impression you could configure a lot of difficulty parametres very precisely.

I played it on all difficulty levels and can give you this advice if you find it too hard:

Avoid melee fights. You will have companions and powerful ranged weapons, so you simply don't need melee. In the very beginning, till you reach the first settlement there is no reason for you to fight at all.
Edit: May be you need to fight one or two tutorial like enemies in the very-very beginning, but those are easy, so I forgot them.

Last edited:
A game that clocks over fifty hours at a minimum is a very good game, imo. The replay value there is very high.

I don't think using the time of 50 hrs for any game is a good enough to say that it makes it a very good game. Some games just drag on at the end where it becomes a chore to play....

I don't think using the time of 50 hrs for any game is a good enough to say that it makes it a very good game. Some games just drag on at the end where it becomes a chore to play….
Yes, but I assume he meant that a game that keeps you playing for 50 hours must be somehow good. Or is it usual for you that you play a game for 50 hours to find out that it is a bad game?

Exactly that. I can tell whether I'll enjoy a game or not usually in under an hour, give or take. If I'm spending more than ten hours on it, I'm having a good time. Other peoples mileage may vary.

Yes, but I assume he meant that a game that keeps you playing for 50 hours must be somehow good. Or is it usual for you that you play a game for 50 hours to find out that it is a bad game?

For instance I am playing ghosts of tushima and it was an excellent game for the first 30 to 40 hours…now I am struggling to finish it as it is going on and on…

I would give it less of a score just because of that.

I loved Witcher 3, it's one of my top 5 all time games, but after 50 or 60 hours, once you unlock everything gameplay-wise it starts to get monotonous. The main story and bigger side quests have good story, but monster contracts and smaller side quests are something you've seen tens of times by that point with little variation. If I could have only played the main story I wouldn't have fallen into that pit, but that is not how I play these games. I tend to do as much content on the first playthrough as possible.

Contrast that with party based RPGs where each level you get a new ability, new spell, possibly for multiple characters, and it keeps the game fresh until the very end.

I loved Witcher 3, it's one of my top 5 all time games, but after 50 or 60 hours, once you unlock everything gameplay-wise it starts to get monotonous. The main story and bigger side quests have good story, but monster contracts and smaller side quests are something you've seen tens of times by that point with little variation. If I could have only played the main story I wouldn't have fallen into that pit, but that is not how I play these games. I tend to do as much content on the first playthrough as possible.

I made the same mistake with TW3. It's a great game, but it's not the kind that's meant for you to do all the content in one playthrough. Sometimes you just have to resist the urge to take on every quest.

For instance I am playing ghosts of tushima and it was an excellent game for the first 30 to 40 hours…now I am struggling to finish it as it is going on and on…

I would give it less of a score just because of that.

That I understand and agree. However, for Elex I never had a feeling like that, in particular since there are no filler quests or sandboxy areas, which are only there to make the world look bigger. Everything seems hand-made in that world (like in most PB games).

Back
Top Bottom