Cyberpunk 2077 - Gamescom Gameplay Video

There was a fan interview with some devs (from the official forum dwellers).

I just wonder how much freedom we'll actually have. Like, can the character pull out a gun in the middle of the street and gun down people? Also, how big is this city going to be exactly? Are all buildings accessible?

- Not all characters can be killed (quest essentials can't). As for a street murder spree, "civilians" will mostly run away, gang members, cops and people with weapons might attack you/fight back (it's mentioned in the interview I linked above).

- The devs haven't said anything about it.

- No, you can't access all the buildings. They went with hand-placed content (I can hunt down the dev quote if someone wants the source for this).

Yeah, I assume there'll be repercussions if you do so, but I was more wondering whether the game will allow you to pull a gun and shoot at neutral/allied NPCs. There's been games where you simply are not able to draw your weapon in "neutral zones" or games where your sword swings simply pass through allies without doing damage… Like, would we be able to shoot (and kill) Jackie?
CDP said that some NPC won't be killable (is that a word?) in order to protect the integrity of the story (Jackie seems pretty important, at least for the begining).

I hope there won't be any gamey restricted zone because I really don't like those. I would prefer if they make important NPC immortal, or make V automatically lower his weapon when she/he's pointing it at one of those NPC (like it has been done in many FPS).

Since you seem to be well versed in the CP2020 setting, how would you categorize the writing in CP2077 based on the video? I know it's not much to go on, but I think there's enough of a style and vibe to make an educated guess.

What I mean is, do you think the dialogue is more due to CDPR wanting to be faithful to the material - or do you think it's the same sort of writing they would do for any other science fiction setting?

I'm asking because I'm trying to guage what to expect from it, in those terms. I mean, the best part of their past games is the writing/story - which I suspect is one of the few things we could all agree on.

Also, are there established examples of CP2020 novels? I know there's a lot of Shadowrun novels - but I don't know of any book written specifically for CP2020 and which might be considered a good one :)
The little I've seen is very faithfull to the tabletop campaigns I've played (keep in mind that I was a teenager at the time).

Bobo already said it, CP is a place where people have develloped an "attitude". I find what I've seen in the trailer very faithfull to what I've experienced with 2020. I'm sure the omnipresence of Pondsmith in the project as something to do with it.

As for your question related to CDP, I remember one of the first TW3 trailer that a lot of people found edgy and too "action" centered. But that was just a trailer. The entire game has way more depth, obviously.
Knowing that the CP trailer take place near the begining of the story, I'd say that you don't have to worry too much: Shit hasn't get real yet, V is new to the city… I'm certain dialogs will be less "in you face" when the story needs it.

But… Just don't expect too much lyricism!
Characters in CP are punks who started at the bottom and are deeply rebellious.
There's gonna be a lot of cuss' words (I genuinelly hope that one of the emote V can use will be a "give the finger" option. I will use it EVERYTIME :p ).

Also, are there established examples of CP2020 novels? I know there's a lot of Shadowrun novels - but I don't know of any book written specifically for CP2020 and which might be considered a good one :)

There seems to only be two existing licensed novels (one move Night City to Manhattan though, so not exactly setting accurate): The Ravengers and Holo Men.

Didn't read either.

The sourcebooks are written in-setting though…

Characters in CP are punks who started at the bottom and are deeply rebellious.
So I'm gonna meet myself in the game. Honestly, that sux.

My hype for this game had nothing to do with TW3 since I didn't play it, and I'm neutral towards CDPR in general. I'm hyped because I like the setting and I had no opinions on what the game *should* be, and it looks pretty damn cool.

With Beth and Bio it's a different thing since in my opinion their games have been getting incrementally worse since Kotor and Morrowind respectively, and since I have a clear opinion on what I want those gamess to be I get more disappointed when that's not what they are.
Therefore I probably have a harder time accepting what's actually good in their games than I have in the case of CDPR.

I'm pretty sure this is what Dart was referring to (if you actually love CDPR the difference is probably even larger than for me), and I'm also pretty sure JDR can agree that for many on this forum this is the case.

And I don't think there's anything weird about it either.

My hype for this game had nothing to do with TW3 since I didn't play it, and I'm neutral towards CDPR in general. I'm hyped because I like the setting and I had no opinions on what the game *should* be, and it looks pretty damn cool.

With Beth and Bio it's a different thing since in my opinion their games have been getting incrementally worse since Kotor and Morrowind respectively, and since I have a clear opinion on what I want those gamess to be I get more disappointed when that's not what they are.
Therefore I probably have a harder time accepting what's actually good in their games than I have in the case of CDPR.

I'm pretty sure this is what Dart was referring to (if you actually love CDPR the difference is probably even larger than for me), and I'm also pretty sure JDR can agree that for many on this forum this is the case.

And I don't think there's anything weird about it either.

I don't think there's just "one way" of thinking bad things about Bio and Beth (and others, but those would be the most prominently disliked around here - I think) - and while I certainly agree their games have changed since the old days, I just like to give games a chance to be whatever they want to be, without my personal preferences getting in the way.

That's not to say I don't HAVE personal preferences, because I certainly do. I just know with absolute certainty that there's no way games from Bioware or Bethesda will ever be everything I want them to be, because they have to cater to a very large audience - and I can't imagine the combination of selling many millions of copies and catering to my needs exactly could ever happen.

My tastes are a little too particular for that to be a realistic expectation, I'd say.

Maybe they're better or worse overall, it's hard to say - but I think almost all of the games have some great things that are potentially being overlooked due to preconditioned dislike. For me, Bioware peaked around KotOR (even though THAT was also streamlined and had things that I didn't like) - and I happen to think Bethsoft games have been getting better and better overall, even if I think Morrowind and Oblivion are sort of on par - for very different reasons. But even if they weren't so closely aligned with certain things that I love about games - I'd bet they still had things to appreciate about them.

CDPR is the same thing for me, though I tend to be more of a gameplay guy - where those games tend to focus more on the story. Well, at least so far.

But I hope it's evident that I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt with CP2077 - and I'd be more than happy if they've improved the gameplay aspect after Witcher 3.

But, yeah, what you're saying sounds reasonable - and is probably not a unique position.

With that said, I can't remember you saying particularly unreasonable things about either company. It's not like I catalogue all these things, I just take note of them when they're repeated often enough, by enough people.

For my part, I just think it's unfortunate if people are not experiencing good or even great games - because they expect them to be a certain thing, even if those expectations can be justified.¨

Personally, I'm very happy that I "pushed through" and completed both Witcher 1 and 3 - because I really liked the story in those games, even if I mostly disliked the gameplay - or simply didn't find them very entertaining as gameplay experiences.

So, ultimately, I think there should be room for all kinds of games and opinions - and I would always advocate a level head and a balanced point of view, even if it goes against an emotional position based on something way back in the past.

My hype for this game had nothing to do with TW3 since I didn't play it
O_O

How's that even possible?! It's like saying you never drank water. Never took a breath. Never slept.
It's essential, yes.

O_O

How's that even possible?! It's like saying you never drank water. Never took a breath. Never slept.
It's essential, yes.

Yeah, I figured I would get that comment. I simply haven't gotten around to it, the backlog is always growing and the time able to spend playing games is always shrinking. I realize for many here it's one of the all-time greats of RPG's, but it just doesn't appeal to me enough to move it up the chain. I hope I'll get around to it sooner or later, if nothing else than to see what the fuzz is about.

Part of the problem is I dislike starting with the third game, I would prefer to start with the first. But I played that one when it came out and although a decent game I never finished it. All that alchemy stuff bored me to no end...

Although would be awsome, you don't need to finish two previous games before playing TW3.
Game systems are completely different and alchemy works differently in each of them.

Yeah, I figured I would get that comment. I simply haven't gotten around to it, the backlog is always growing and the time able to spend playing games is always shrinking. I realize for many here it's one of the all-time greats of RPG's, but it just doesn't appeal to me enough to move it up the chain. I hope I'll get around to it sooner or later, if nothing else than to see what the fuzz is about.

Part of the problem is I dislike starting with the third game, I would prefer to start with the first. But I played that one when it came out and although a decent game I never finished it. All that alchemy stuff bored me to no end…
Don't feel bad, you are not the only one. Although my reasons are different.
I loved TW1 and finished it twice (on normal and later on hard). Then I bought TW2 at full price and as soon as it was possible (preordered it) and was massively disappointed with complete change in gameplay.
After I have seen that TW3 just went the same route but even more mainstream (casual) I soon lost all hype for it and don't feel any need to ever get it and play it.

Part of the problem is I dislike starting with the third game, I would prefer to start with the first. But I played that one when it came out and although a decent game I never finished it. All that alchemy stuff bored me to no end…

I will say one thing for the Witcher games, though - they're among the very, very, VERY few games that I've bothered to muscle through - simply because I suspected they'd be worth it even if they bored me, in the end.

Turns out I was right - they ARE worth it. That said, it took multiple failures on my part to turn it around.

Strangely enough, I positively adored Witcher 2. That's the game that made me hype myself to near-insanity for Witcher 3 - which probably wasn't a great approach :)

But, anyway, I would just like to add that I really think you should make completing these games a priority one day - if you care about a good story at all.

There seems to only be two existing licensed novels (one move Night City to Manhattan though, so not exactly setting accurate): The Ravengers and Holo Men.

Didn't read either.

The sourcebooks are written in-setting though…

Thanks!

Books don't seem to have gotten the warmest reception.

Now, I did own the source material at one point (the book with the guy with crazy eyes and a gun on the cover) - but I probably gave it away, like so much of my PnP stuff.

So, I can't remember much - only that I liked it.

But I have to say the writing and setting - overall - seems a little on the lower end of the scale in terms of quality.

I mean, like someone was trying to be very edgy without much depth or subtlety to go along with it.

Not that such a thing was unusual back in the day, where new PnP systems came out seemingly every week.

... snip.

Well you might be confusing my example of combat with other things. I wouldn't want difficulty sliders on decisions and don't care much about them for non-combat.

But for combat I like difficulty sliders because I am normally poor at combat, especially twitch and FPS based combat.

My point with survival mode in FO4 is that for the first time ever I played a game on its hardest mode and loved it. I personally felt the balance was right because I could survive, even with my poor combat skills and lack of twitch reflexes (in large part due to VATS I admit as well as being able to take time to attack, w/o VATS, as a sniper in stealth ... I only resort to VATS when I have to).

But suffering for the wrong decision on a quest? All for that :)

Also I have never played W3 beyond 20-30 hours. Tried three times, on my 4th and only made it 2 hours. I just don't connect to Geralt. My play style is too different.

So I have no real expectations as the truth is I never got past 25 hours max in any CDR game. I never tried W1, only got in about 15-20 hours in W2, and likewise W3.

That being said, outside of FPS and actiony combat, I am rather hyped for this game.

Speaking of writing, which was mentioned, I love it at least based on the demo. Initially I was put off by it. But as I sunk into it I loved it as it felt real. It started to make the world more real and immersive instead of going with safe generic text everyone would know right off. I like the slang and lino. The new words. It means I get to learn a new world and sink into it.

Oddly enough I find myself thinking about the world a lot since the demo. Not the game directly but the world as the demo conveyed. What would it be like in this world? Who makes the tech? Does the tech work with other tech all times (mentioned in the demo about a certain tech type)? Who are the companies that run the world? Does the government fit in? What would it be like to live with tons of cyber machines built into your body? Would that get in the way of romance and human intimacy? What about the people who have a religion of no-tech on the body?

I already have a character in my head I think about when walking the dogs, day dreaming, commuting to work.

A good sign for this game. The major plus is you are not stuck being Geralt (who I adore as a character but he isn't remotely me) but can at least put your print on V from all sounds of it.

Watched a bit more on gameplay.

In terms of raw feel of controls, how "snappy it is", sounds and feedback, I would say it's pretty average when it comes to FPS gunplay, not bad or really exceptional. They definitely have some polishing to do with AI, animations, etc…but pretty good for their first attempt and something least a year away from a release.
Nothing close to FEAR, Killing Zone or Black level…but you can already tell it looks and feels a lot better than Bloodlines, Stalker, Deus Ex, Bioshock or Fallout IV.
Shame they didn't show more of movement options during end, it looked very smooth and responsive. Melee also looks pretty good.

And levels were well designed, detail, diferent pathways, plenty of verticality, good lighting/ambiance, didn't have "crates for cover" feel to it.
The real highlight is how fun it will be to experiment here.
Vertical indoor levels+parkour+distant hacking+Destructible walls and Interactive environment+all the gear and gadgets and abilities…they've got a pretty good design direction, open ended gameplay and mechanics overlapping one another.
If they polish systems more and expand it a bit, this could easily put every RPG combat to shame ( and indeed, in many action games).

Oddly enough, it has something similar to Witcher Adrenaline mechanic. Not at the start of the game, but later on it's added and refills on melee hit and critical hits.

But I have to say the writing and setting - overall - seems a little on the lower end of the scale in terms of quality.

I mean, like someone was trying to be very edgy without much depth or subtlety to go along with it.

"The Rules" characters live by in the Cyberpunk 2020 settings (it's in the early pages of the core rulebook):
- Style over substance
- Attitude is everything
- Always take it to the edge
- Break the rules

All that with a late 80s/early 90s punk perspective.

Oddly enough I find myself thinking about the world a lot since the demo. Not the game directly but the world as the demo conveyed. What would it be like in this world? Who makes the tech? Does the tech work with other tech all times (mentioned in the demo about a certain tech type)? Who are the companies that run the world? Does the government fit in? What would it be like to live with tons of cyber machines built into your body? Would that get in the way of romance and human intimacy? What about the people who have a religion of no-tech on the body?
If CDprojekt manage to answer to all those questions with talent you gonna have such a good time, Cyberpunk is really a fun setting.

I already have a character in my head I think about when walking the dogs, day dreaming, commuting to work.
Me too. :lol:
My first run will be a pure netrunner male V using light weapons and stealth (backgrounds: fan of Johnny Silverhand, ran away from home, ex-lover in town).

"The Rules" characters live by in the Cyberpunk 2020 settings (it's in the early pages of the core rulebook):
- Style over substance
- Attitude is everything
- Always take it to the edge
- Break the rules

All that with a late 80s/early 90s punk perspective.

Yeah, in that case CDPR seems to have hit the nail on the head :)

I can't say I find the setting very compelling if that's some kind of all-encompassing rule for characters, but I have the feeling the writers have something up their sleeve. At least I hope so.

As for the combat "flow" - that's very hard to tell from a 30 FPS video played with a controller. It looks pretty good for an early version to my eyes - but the feel is very hard to pin down from a video like that.

Then again, I don't expect a Doom Eternal or a high-end shooter from my CRPGs. It seems about on par with Fallout 4 or a modern Deus Ex - which is more than adequate.

Even better, it looks like they'll be adding more toys and ways to spice it up - which means it could very well end up being one of the most fun combat systems in a modern CRPG - though I can't just forget how awful Witcher 3 was in terms of balance and repetition of a tiny handful of actions during combat. Witcher 3 combat looked positively awesome in the trailers and PR videos - so there's certainly enough reason for me to be sceptical :)

Back
Top Bottom