Recommend me CRPGs to start and finish

Malifax

Watchdog
So I recently decided to start a blog and play through various CRPGs from years past and present. I know CRPGAddict pretty much is doing the same damn thing, but I recently made some drafts and for some reason writing about games is more fulfilling to me than making videos about them.

I am having a hard time deciding what to play and in what order, so I had an idea. If everyone could recommend two games I will play them in the order that they are posted. There are some rules I do want to follow though.

1) I want the games to be on personal computers only. So that is basically Apple II (and family), C64, Amiga, Atari ST, DOS based PCs, and Windows….at least those are the platforms I want to limit it to.
2) I prefer older CRPGs, but will play anything from the past to the modern era.
3) The game must be winnable…it must have an ending.
4) No JRPGs.
5) Older games will easily be obtainable due to emulation, newer games if I don't own it already, I will have to pass on it until I can get it purchased. My Steam library is about 300 games so there is a good chance I will have it…but just in case…I may have to come back to it.

There link to the blog is https://crpgfanatic.blogspot.com/ And yeah, the name isn't original, but by God I am going for it.

Name me some games.

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick
Gothic 2 Gold
Gothic 3
Fallout 1,2,3
Divine Divinity
Darklands
Arx Fatalis
Lands of Lore 1&2
Deus Ex GOTY Edition
Temple of Elemental Evil
Anachronox
Vampire: The Masquerade
Vampire The Masquerade – Bloodlines
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 1&2
Jade Empire
Planescape Torment
Diablo 1&2
Wasteland
Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn
Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal
Ultima (series)
The Bard’s Tale
Mass Effect (series)
The Witcher 1,2 & 3
Alpha Protocol
Risen 1,2 & 3
Elex
Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
Dragon Age:Origins

Couch cheated! Slightly more than two!

Might and Magic VI
Pillars of Eternity
Nope just decided to make a huge list instead of just two.:cool:
That list that Couch tossed up is pretty damn complete, and should keep anyone amused for months, if not years.
I even left off another thirty games, and didn't add to many modern ones.

So I'll continue.:)

Wasteland 2
Deus Ex Human Revolution Directors Cut
Deus Ex - Mankind Divided
Divinity Original Sin - Enhanced Edition
Divinity - Original Sin 2
Divinity II - Developers Cut
Ash of Gods
Fable Anniversary
Fable III
Dragon Age - Inquisition
Grim Dawn
Kingdom Come - Deliverance
Kingdoms of Amalur Reckoning
Bound By Flame
Mass Effect Andromeda
Dead State
The Dark Eye Demonicon
Dungeon Siege II
Dungeon Siege III
Banner Saga
Banner Saga 2
Shadowrun Dragonfall
Shadowrun Hong Kong Extended Edition
Mars War Logs
The Technomancer
Sword Coast Legends
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Final Cut
Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen
Serpent in the Staglands

I probably forget plenty as I have a huge libary of games.:)

Still don't see Wizardry 8; you trying to summon the wrath of DTE, couch?
Will it work as DTE has been silent for a while.o_O

If you don't mind tinkering with amiga I would check out Phantasie III. It seems reasonably interesting and you get to recruit kobolds and fairies among others if you go for a random party member.

I have been tinkering with whdload games lately and it is not so bad as far as UI goes for such an old game.

If you don't mind tinkering with amiga I would check out Phantasie III. It seems reasonably interesting and you get to recruit kobolds and fairies among others if you go for a random party member.

I have been tinkering with whdload games lately and it is not so bad as far as UI goes for such an old game.

I love the Phantasie series! I am adding it to the list, the Amiga version. Thanks man!

If I could command you to blog your way through the following (in order) I would do so, for my own personal trip down memory lane:

The Bard's Tale (1985)
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar (1985)
Pool of Radiance (1988)
Diablo (1996)
Baldur's Gate II: Shadows of Amn (2000)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (2003)
Dragon Age: Origins (2009)
Mass Effect 2 (2010)
Elder Scrolls Skyrim (2011)
Witcher 3 (2015)

You sure came to the right place with this question :)

I see plenty good titles listed already, so there's really no need for me to add more.

For me, the challenge isn't finding a great game - it's being able to focus on it until I'm done with it.

Numen: Contest of Heroes
Inquisitor (if you like lots of text)

I know CRPGAddict pretty much is doing the same damn thing.
Who's that?! Honestly, neverheard.
Couch cheated, but I can add what he missed. :evilgrin:

You said two? No jrpgs, but yes phonegames? Sheesh… No wonder Couch recommended Banner Saga. I'll skip phonegames though, and because of that I'll cheat and put 3-4 instead of 2.

1. Soulbringer - a game forgotten while it shouldn't be, at the time it was released noone had a snow effect as spectacular as it did and it had an unique combat system some fresh titles are trying to copypaste and are advertising it as their uniqueness which is not. Another difference from clones even today is no boss at the ending scene (but lack of content in that ending makes it feel rushed).

2. Summoner - it's originally nintendo gameboy or some other rubbishware title which is a shame, it's rich story with twists, colorful characters plus plenty of sidequests differentiate it from usual mainstream from those times and to this day I can't understand why such game wasn't originally on PC but we had to wait for it's port. Volition sadly didn't stick with RPGs but pushed numerous sequels of Red Faction and Saints Row.

3. Drakensang: The Dark Eye and Drakensang: The River of Time - epic nearmasterpieces that should be used as an entrypoint to cRPGs in my opinion. You can buy them both DRMfree on DVD at Amazon for some pocketchange and it would be a shame dying before playing these. Sadly, the developer was bought by some scamware publisher, ordered the studio to develop pay2win browser rubbish and we'll never see the third installment of Drakensang. Avoid Drakensang Online, it's garbage.

Last edited:
Grimoire............:lol:

Seems right up your alley

I will throw in my top 3 favourites :p

1. Baldur's Gate II
2. Neverwinter Nights: The Aielund Saga (yes, hall of fame module but still)
3. Icewind Dale

Can't believe no one mentioned IWD!!!

Back
Top Bottom