Assassin's Creed: Odyssey - Ep. 3 - Naval & Exploration

Silver

Spaceman
Staff Member
'Behind the Odyssey' episode 3 focuses on naval and exploration aspects for Assassin's Creed: Odyssey.

Watch the third episode of "Behind The Odyssey!" In this episode, developers discuss ship customization, recruitment, and naval combat!
Thanks Couchpotato!

More information.

Hmm did those ancient warships carried gunpowder so that they go boom and explodes from fire?
Otherwise looks nice and cool …only I feel already tired from incoming "gather 30 amphoras" meaningless tasks/achievements.

I bet soon after this game will be released, we can expect Argonauts, Troy and other ancient Greek stuff spawning right and left on the wave of Odyssey success;-)

Last edited:
No, there was no gunpowder at that point in history... nor was there greek fire, which could also potentially have been the source for what looks like an explosion. I'd say chalk it up to a bit of game design/artistic license. =)

Actually there was greek fire and to this day it's unknown what it was.
Gunpowder however, no, it's most probably just copying Michael Bay.

Historical accuracy aside, it's a videogame and because AC Origins was awsome I'm buying this one too.

Actually there was greek fire and to this day it's unknown what it was.
Gunpowder however, no, it's most probably just copying Michael Bay.

Historical accuracy aside, it's a videogame and because AC Origins was awsome I'm buying this one too.

Greek fire was invented by the byzantines in the 7th century... there were sort of similar mixtures used earlier in history but I don't believe there are any historical records indicating those other mixtures were used on ships or in naval battles, certainly not during that time, but not even centuries later.

Well the first documented writing about early Greek fire was made in 3rd Century AD by a Roman author Julius Africanus, but yes it was fully adapted and used much later.

Anyway based on the game setting they should use oil and fire arrows. You usually had men swim with casks of it then fire it up, or catapults launched it. So Greek fire no.

It would have to be either Pitch, tar and resin or Hot oil used in BC warfare.

Swinging a 10-foot spear underwater with deadly force (2:40) is just plain silly...

I wish they would use realistic naval combat for once, but that wouldn't sell as much.

Sure, they could use some oils to set ships on fire, but to make them explode!
But, yeah, its not historical game after all, right. I didn't listened to dialogues , but I guess all Greeks talk there like modern Americans ;-)

Sure, they could use some oils to set ships on fire, but to make them explode!
But, yeah, its not historical game after all, right. I didn't listened to dialogues , but I guess all Greeks talk there like modern Americans ;-)
I always hear that language excuse and it makes me laugh. So thanks. I mean really who wants to make a game using ancient languages no one speaks anymore?

Sure a few movies did but hey didn't sell well in the the theaters either.

Naval ? Belly related ? Oh, that was navel ...

I always hear that language excuse and it makes me laugh. So thanks. I mean really who wants to make a game using ancient languages no one speaks anymore?

Sure a few movies did but hey didn't sell well in the the theaters either.

Apocalipto was quite good and language added atmosphere (at least for me). I watched many movies in original languages with subtitles and had no problem, i even learned something!
But don't worry, I do not demand game to be in ancient Greek, it was just a snarky comment from me - it isn't historical game after all!

Not all that impressed. Some of the graphics look quite dated, the ocean water isn't very well done, and movement of the ships looks horrible.

Not all that impressed. Some of the graphics look quite dated, the ocean water isn't very well done, and movement of the ships looks horrible.
It's the same naval warfare used since Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. I enjoyed it then but it wasn't used much after except in Origin in a few naval combat missions.

As for the water it's better then most games I have played. So meh. I still stand by what I said in another thread about this engine being perfect for an open world rpg.

Swinging a 10-foot spear underwater with deadly force (2:40) is just plain silly…

I noticed that too. It doesn't sound natural to fight underwater that way.

It's the same naval warfare used since Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag.

Yeah, naval combat in Black Flag was really fun for like 30-60 minutes, then it got really boring, like everything else in the AC franchise. Too simple. Too repetitive. This has been the Assassin's Creed curse since its inception, although it doesn't seem to have hurt their sales much. So, once again, I'm in the minority opinion.

One solution, if anyone cared, would be to continue to work on the mechanics over time. Seems we're out of luck there again. I imagine they're not terribly concerned. They keep making money, and I grumble into a void once more....

Yeah, I find the Assassin's Creed games pretty boring, but sometimes really impressive, at least for a while. Unity, for instance (and despite the issues with the PC port), really impressed me with its open-world revolutionary Paris. I remember thinking, "Wow, it's amazing what you can do with a AAA budget. Shame about the game."

This one, though, just doesn't even appeal to me on that superficial level. And the ships tearing around like jumbo jet-skis really isn't doing it for me.

Also, the reps in the video appear to be both miserable and sedated, which may be an occupational hazard of working at Ubisoft.

I would have been in the AC games are boring too, but the last one was pretty good imo.

Back
Top Bottom