Avowed - Info and Rumors @ PC Gamer

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Staff Member
Original Sin Donor
Original Sin 2 Donor
PC Gamer has collected some info and rumors about Avowed:

Avowed: Release date, gameplay, and everything we know about Obsidian's Skyrim-like RPG

Avowed is a big, first-person RPG set in the same world as Pillars of Eternity, and it looks like it might be Obsidian's spin on The Elder Scrolls. It would make a lot of sense: Over the past decade, Obsidian has garnered love and praise for taking beloved RPG subgenres and adding its a modern spin. Pillars of Eternity was a love letter to cRPG greats like Baldur's Gate, while The Outer Worlds evoked the grim satire and meaningful choices of Fallout: New Vegas (which it also created). Now it looks like Obsidian is inching into Skyrim's territory, and with The Elder Scrolls 6 likely still years away, the idea of a big fantasy first-person RPG is exciting.

[...]
More information.

So nothing new beyond the last rumors and early leaks? I'm going to assume were at least a year off from any type of official info. Since it wont be released till late 2022.

So basically…..

• Fully open world, much denser than Skyrim
  • Primarily set in The Living Lands region of Eora, which has been referenced but never seen in Pillars of Eternity games
  • Big focus on world-reactivity, lighting and next-gen AI systems and physics (special focus on physics with magic systems)
  • Real-time weather system
  • Advanced character creation tool
  • Mod support is planned
  • Very large number of factions but very different approach than with Skyrim
  • You’ll be able to have companions, but they'll act differently than those seen in the Outer Worlds.
  • In the story, you'll fight against the incoming threat of tyranny. This will be independent of other Pillars of Eternity lore pieces.
  • There are many boss battles and quite a few of them will be larger than the player.
  • There's a massive focus on architecture like iconic landmarks, statues, and buildings
  • Two large cities are currently planned with many smaller ones placed between and around them.
  • There's a strong focus on Eora's fauna and wildlife including rivers, mountains, and desolate areas.
  • Avowed will add to established Pillars of Eternity lore without retconning anything.
  • For those killers out there, Obsidian is including an option to kill everyone in the game, even key players.
  • Avowed has been in production for about two years with a team of 100 people. They plan to expand that team in the future, presumably when production on The Outer Worlds' expansions concludes.
  • They're currently targeting a late 2022 or early 2023 release date.

Last edited:
Possible crossover with Paradox's Tyranny? 😁
I always have faith in Obsidian I just hope they step up their NPC faces; as much as I loved the Outer Worlds it was populated by some horrors - not great in a first person game.
That would be a nice crossover idea indeed. To bad Paradox owns the IP.:(

Anyway early info suggests the game will be based on the early Aedyr Empire. The internet is also speculating it might have the goddess Woedica when she was powerful.

Hence the word Tyranny. She's evil and wants to expand the empire & her influence.

I'm hoping we'll get some of the fractions that aren't used very often in games, like 17/57ths or 22/109ths.
Me to but nope it's just a misplaced letter on my part. Should be factions.:lol:

Me to but nope it's just a misplaced letter on my part. Should be factions.:lol:

In think you are German: factions (English) = Fraktionen (German)

Fraktion comes from fractio (Latin): a fragment, portion of something
Faction comes from factio (Latin): group of people acting together

2023 release.

When I woke up this morning, it was 2020. So I looked at where I was in 2017. I lived in different country, had a different partner, had a different job, nobody knew humans could be threatened globally by a simple virus, and 4 more of my family members were alive.

So maybe I'll care a bit more about games I have good chances to predict how my life will be by the time it releases, if I'm even alive. Sorry, but hype train evaded.

Good games take time.

Huge team is awesome....there is some serious Microsoft money happening here.

These guys did fall out new vegas, a first person game is not new to them and I don't worry about the writting at all.

I'm hyped.

off topic a bit....I'm most likely going to get an xbox series x with the game pass included for a low monthly price(actually less then buying both things seperate) just because of game pass.

Already have a ps5 preordered...I be happy:)

In "wait and see" mode with this one...but more sceptical than anything else. And 2023 does seem a lifetime away.

In "wait and see" mode with this one…but more sceptical than anything else. And 2023 does seem a lifetime away.
Bah I waited 7+ years for Cyberpunk 2077. Three years is nothing compared to that.:p

Last edited:
Not when incompetent Trash-Game Creator Obsidian messes it up!

Where is your game? Still waiting....and waiting....stillll waiting....

Cannot wait to review:)

So nothing new beyond the last rumors and early leaks? I'm going to assume were at least a year off from any type of official info. Since it wont be released till late 2022.

So basically…..

Don't forget absurdly insane longbow range.
and something something worth the weight of the crown..

Back
Top Bottom