Skyrim What's the deal with shouts?

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

zahratustra

SasqWatch
By now I have five incomplete shouts:
"Unrelenting Force" 1st word was found in Bleak Falls Barrow and activated by killing a dragon near Whiterun. 2nd was was given to me (and activated) at High Hrothgar.
"Whirlwind Sprint" 2nd word and activation from High Hrothgar.

I have also found 1st words for "Fire Breath", "Become Ethereal" and "Throw Voice" but, despite killing 3 dragons, those shouts are still inactive. Do I need to do "Horn of Jurgen Windcaller" quest before more shouts can be activated?

When you absorb a dragon soul they don't automatically activate a shout. You have to select the shout you wish to use the dragon soul on. Once you use a soul that shout is now active and you can use it whenever you want.

I am not in the game right now but I believe you go to the magic menu, under shouts. Then make sure the shout you want is highlighted. You should also have a count of how many dragon souls you have. Hit your ENTER (E) key while highlighting the shout and a soul should be spent on it.

Its something like that. Took me a moment to figure it out when I got my first shout.

Thank you wolf! Much appreciated!

My bad - I just got a new soul so was able to see. You have to select the shout then "UNLOCK" it, which for me was the R key. It should ask you to confirm your choice as well.

Yeah, worked details out by myself but it was your tip which has shown me the way. Thanks again!

My bad - I just got a new soul so was able to see. You have to select the shout then "UNLOCK" it, which for me was the R key. It should ask you to confirm your choice as well.

I just killed my first dragon and I think I tried this, but it told me I needed a dragon soul. What? Did I miss it? Or maybe I pressed E instead or R... I'll have to check.

Also, should one be careful about unlocking shouts, or are there an infinite number of dragon souls?

There are an infinite number of dragons and only about 60+ different words you can learn.

After a certain part of the main quest, I think the dragons stop appearing, but it is probably really close to the end.

So just don't go too far in the main quest if you want to experiment with all the shouts in one playthrough is the rule of thumb, I suppose. Everything is working out acording to plans.... ;)

Although, I would like to play a battlemage too, but I'd prefer not to replay dungeons...

have any of you tried Storm Call?

It is truly a thing of wonder. However, you need to tell your traveling companion to wait somewhere very far away. Mine dies every time I use the shout.

have any of you tried Storm Call?

It is truly a thing of wonder. However, you need to tell your traveling companion to wait somewhere very far away. Mine dies every time I use the shout.

I thought it was somewhat of a letdown (unless it's a bit more powerful as you level up?). I'd love it much more if companions and nearby friendlies weren't affected, but at the same I like the idea that friendlies can be killed if you're not careful.

I prefer the Call Dragon shout, myself.

Back
Top Bottom